New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you have never heard of a building project going over budget? I get the sentiment but these things are genuine threats.
Never mate...so it does happen?

:pocheyes:

On a serious note, I'm pretty sure the club will have protected itself against market changes in the materials being used in the stadium construction. I'd be amazed if Levy hadn't gone over it many times in microscopic detail, before a shovel was lifted.

So you have never heard of a building project going over budget? I get the sentiment but these things are genuine threats.
Projects like this going over budget will very rarely be due to the raw materials needed for the build though, unless you've actually miscalculated the volume needed and have to buy more than planned. Going over budget is much more commonly the "soft" costs, e.g. project management, planning costs, higher staff costs if there are over-runs, increased price of buying the local sheet metal company's headquarters ( :pochrolleyes: ) etc etc.

Last edited:

On a serious note, I'm pretty sure the club will have protected itself against market changes in the materials being used in the stadium construction. I'd be amazed if Levy hadn't gone over it many times in microscopic detail, before a shovel was lifted.
Of cause didn't say he hadn't. But I'm sure the other multi-multi-multi Million dollar budget constructions that went over budget had plenty of planning and due diligence too.

Of cause didn't say he hadn't. But I'm sure the other multi-multi-multi Million dollar budget constructions that went over budget had plenty of planning and due diligence too.
Time will tell. No point in speculating any further at this juncture. I will have a sportsman's bet with you that Levy won't go over budget, & if I'm wrong & he does, it won't be the cost of the materials that send it into the red.

Time will tell. No point in speculating any further at this juncture. I will have a sportsman's bet with you that Levy won't go over budget, & if I'm wrong & he does, it won't be the cost of the materials that send it into the red.
Don't think anyone knows what the budget is. It's between £400m and £750m and I'm not speculating, just drawing attention to the fact that if a profit is being made on the steel in the cranes (don't think they are even valued like that anyway) the cost of building a stadium where 50% of it is made of steel was worthy of reflection.

One would assume that they will have already agreed a price with MACE (the building contractors) with a few contingency clauses. Looking at it today there actually is not an amazing amount left on the stands in view. A few pours, putting steel in then terracing. Of course costs can rise but we are doing well at the moment.

The NFL exposure will bump any stadium naming rights deal up another £2M/yr. Depends on the length of the deal.

True, but I'd imagine that Levy will have clauses in the contract where we get more money if the number of games goes up from the current 2 year. It's very likely that in a few year's time we'll have a many more NFL games a year played at the new stadium, and if that happens the sponsor will be getting much more exposure. If we get it right, which I think Levy is likely to do, then we could get a far better deal than if we only had football at the stadium.

True, but I'd imagine that Levy will have clauses in the contract where we get more money if the number of games goes up from the current 2 year. It's very likely that in a few year's time we'll have a many more NFL games a year played at the new stadium, and if that happens the sponsor will be getting much more exposure. If we get it right, which I think Levy is likely to do, then we could get a far better deal than if we only had football at the stadium.
I'm not always his biggest fan, but credit where its due.He will sort us out a good deal for the stadium

We still have a lot of ground work to carry out at the southern end, once the current stadium is demolished. I'm sure Levy has agreed all the costs and contracts, but piling and ground works is expensive and takes time. I don't think we will be playing there next season as some have suggested.

It looks like we are future proofing it as much as possible, which is great. Currently, stadia in general doesn't offer enough apart from hosting games. I recognise that is their main purpose. But when they are located in a capital city with relatively good transport links they really should provide something over and above a sports stadium, which it looks like ours will. This ultimately makes it more valuable, which helps the club, and the team.

A comparison of our footprint compared to the Blue Scum...
31944069350_4d691f4d34_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom