January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was he? I don't remember that at all. Matter of fact he was very hesitant to go to Toronto FC he mulled over the decision for awhile. I could be wrong but I thought he was happy as a squad player before he left (well maybe not happy but content)

I remember saying at the time I thought it was terrible business to sell a useful player at that price. I believe we only got like 6m for him?

Post-Toronto, he was hanging around the club a lot and one of the journos who is close to the club kept reporting he wanted the move and was hesitating on any other club due to waiting for us. But we never moved.

Defoe is never going to happen.
He has no future here.
Sunderland wouldn't sell, I doubt even for silly money. They'd still need to find a proven goalscorer in January who's willing to join.

Defoe has nver liked sitting on the bench. He was frustrated at playing in El and cup games in his final season here. I don't think he'll like doing the same again.
He also left us for Portsmouth to salvage his England career as he was not getting regular first team football.
He said he didn't want to to leave Spurs, just wanted to play. Yet he left before the season was over with over a year left on his contract. He could have refused, like Adebayor, and been here when Poch took over. Four or so months more..
Then again, what if Poch would have used him sparingly?

I was sad to see him go, twice. However, I don't think we should be interested in short term fixes for old ex players. There are no guarantees.
Anyway, 5 of his goals have been pens. So that six from 20 open play from a regular starter.
Kane has scored 7 from 15 and he's been off form and injured.
Defoe has gone 4 games without a goal for his club this season, and has done it twice.
Kane has gone 3 twice and had his ability questioned.

Defoe is never going to happen.
He has no future here.
Sunderland wouldn't sell, I doubt even for silly money. They'd still need to find a proven goalscorer in January who's willing to join.

Defoe has nver liked sitting on the bench. He was frustrated at playing in El and cup games in his final season here. I don't think he'll like doing the same again.
He also left us for Portsmouth to salvage his England career as he was not getting regular first team football.
He said he didn't want to to leave Spurs, just wanted to play. Yet he left before the season was over with over a year left on his contract. He could have refused, like Adebayor, and been here when Poch took over. Four or so months more..
Then again, what if Poch would have used him sparingly?

I was sad to see him go, twice. However, I don't think we should be interested in short term fixes for old ex players. There are no guarantees.
Anyway, 5 of his goals have been pens. So that six from 20 open play from a regular starter.
Kane has scored 7 from 15 and he's been off form and injured.
Defoe has gone 4 games without a goal for his club this season, and has done it twice.
Kane has gone 3 twice and had his ability questioned.
While I agree with most of the points you make. it is hard to judge Defoe solely on his goal scoring record at Sunderland. He is playing in a shower of shite! I saw that he has accounted for 58% of their goals this year and over 40% since he has gotten there. That is pretty incredible no matter how you look at it (and also further proof they would be mad to sell him)

I'd be amazed if any of the current first team don't want to stay around to be part of the new stadium. It's exciting - whether you're a Spurs fan or a Spurs player. Nothing lasts forever, granted, but if the players weren't buying into a project that they knew they were a valuable part of, why would any of them sign extensions. I'm specifically thinking of Woolwich's problem with chubby, bug eyes & the Chilean gangsta
1- because it amuses me
2- it shows what havoc players can cause by not signing new contracts.
The Gooners will end up paying obscene wages to keep them, or get next to nothing to lose them.

Fuck the media/press .
There constant comical wall of lies speculation has become so irrelevant .
Tiresome , lazy , childish , repetitive nonsense. To fill the pages of these perverted diatribes tells us that their days
are over .

(Down in Brighton, getting my teeth done tomorrow. New vinyl bought so far Bends/Radiohead , Low/Bowie, god bless Brixton Dave, Bo Diddley, Miles Davis /Porgy and Bess. )

Off topic, but the bends is a great album. I did prefer Paranoid Android though.

I'm serious. Could mean the talent of his coaches, coaches outside of his team that he could look to recruit, the talent of the analytics people, the talent of the direct of football or even his own talents or strengths. Very vague statement imo, which you'd expect when it's someone trying to sell you their services playing sage.
If you read his entire tweet thread, it's about how little time managers have to evaluate talent, and how little they spend looking at it. Managers can't see everyone, nor can they compare them easily. This can be the case inside the club (too busy worrying about next game to spend hours looking at whole team and academy in depth), and outside (how the fuck do they look at video of every wide forward in Europe and decide?).

It's not the job of managers to do that, and given their time constraints, impossible to do anyway. Yet if you give the manager too much power over transfers, they can have more influence over the process/choices than their level of knowledge/insight may warrant.

That's his point.

But in all seriousness, I like Defoe being an automatic starter for Sunderland - where he can become a hero and keep them up (while possibly scoring, what, 20 goals by the end of this season?).

Taking him away from that to stick him on the bench would be a waste. Better to buy some promising, quick young striker from France or Belgium with the same money.

I'll probably kick a wall and break my foot if we get rid of Lamela, even on a loan.
I actually thought it may be a sign he's going back when I heard he'd gone to Roma, but the reason is very believable. Change of scenery, diifferent faces familiar place. It must be hard for him.
I hope we don't think of selling him, we have missed him a lot.
I hope he doesn't want to go either.

I actually thought it may be a sign he's going back when I heard he'd gone to Roma, but the reason is very believable. Change of scenery, diifferent faces familiar place. It must be hard for him.
I hope we don't think of selling him, we have missed him a lot.
I hope he doesn't want to go either.

I've not been able to follow the story too closely. I've heard his brother is in a pretty bad way though. Can't imagine what he's going through. I'd be distraught if anything happened to my little sister.

Do you watch a lot of Argentinian football? How does he compare to FM's favourite wonderkid Max Romero?
I watch a fair amount, follow News on a daily basis. I've heard the hype but never seen him play. I think he only became known because of a link to Woolwich a year or two ago. He has played (started) only a handful of games. The hype is mainly coming from the Club (massively in debt, needs the money) and agent/player (needs the money). Most reporters say the usual, has potential, way too young to tell if he will even cut it in Argentina, let alone in Europe and prem.

I watch a fair amount, follow News on a daily basis. I've heard the hype but never seen him play. I think he only became known because of a link to Woolwich a year or two ago. He has played (started) only a handful of games. The hype is mainly coming from the Club (massively in debt, needs the money) and agent/player (needs the money). Most reporters say the usual, has potential, way too young to tell if he will even cut it in Argentina, let alone in Europe and prem.
Sounds like another Coulibaly or Ceballos meh

Back
Top Bottom