Chelsea scum away. Battle of the bridge 2: revenge of the yids

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unfortunately no,I don't think this season we will challenge,just pointing out that compared to last season at this stage we are no worse off! But being realistic and wanting success the cups are our best chance!

I don't think we're going to challenge for the title this year either, that's just a realistic estimation of our chances in comparison to other teams. The way some people talk it's like if we're not up there every year then something shocking has gone wrong with the team, when if they just got some perspective they'd see we perform basically as well if not slightly better than expected considering our spending power and squad depth. I want top 6, entertaining football (which we've mainly not been getting lately, admittedly) and if we end up third again (or above) then it will be an amazingly good bonus. The stress levels of people who think we should be seriously challenging for the title every year must be through the roof because we inevitably don't, and hadn't for decades until last season.

Last edited:
Was indisposed at 4:30am so didn't watch unfortunately.

Didn't expect to win going in but hoped we wouldn't lose. Oh well life goes on.

I think (without having watched of course) that this could be a sign that defensively Poch's system works. Only lost by an odd goal with two of the back 4 out to a side that had been banging goals in for fun.

Cannot wait until we get Toby back and we can't sit Dier next to Dembele. That's what worked last season. Hopefully his goal tonight is that catalyst for an Eriksen hot streak of form. He's definitely due.

Disappointing to have lost. First half we looked like we did v Citeh for a while, unfortunately it was because Chelski didn't have their ducks in a row. Second goal, can't blame Wimmer, he was supporting Verts as he is supposed to. I agree with Poch, it's about mentality, what's going on in our players' heads? How do you work that? Poch can't dispense too much negativity, especially in public, it's just so counterproductive, but even in the dressing room, spending more time pointing out errors and mistakes than working on believing in yourself and backing it up is just as counterproductive.

As a fan, I'm not going to join the melt club, I'm going to try and believe that we're having our usual bad spell early, and things will turn around later. If not, ho hum, that's Tottenham.

I don't we're going to challenge for the title this year either, that's just a realistic estimation of our chances in comparison to other teams. The way some people talk it's like if we're not up there every year then something shocking has gone wrong with the team, when if they just got some perspective they'd see we perform basically as well if not slightly better than expected considering our spending power and squad depth. I want top 6, entertaining football (which we've mainly not been getting lately, admittedly) and if we end up third again (or above) then it will be an amazingly good bonus. The stress levels of people who think we should be seriously challenging for the title every year must be through the roof because we inevitably don't, and hadn't for decades until last season.
Totally agree,last season was a one off and sorry for upsetting anyone but us being in the mix was part of being the one off! I'm like everyone I want success and it being prolonged,but it gonna happen, other clubs have more spending power than us and they will attract money grabbing mercenaries,we have to accept that we will attract the second best players thus us not being able to challenge for leagues! But cups are one off games and they can be won unfortunately Tottenham don't see it that way! A side issue,listened to a bit of radio 5 live and a Leicester fan phoned in and said Ranieri should be sacked........dearie me!

As a fan, I'm not going to join the melt club, I'm going to try and believe that we're having our usual bad spell early, and things will turn around later. If not, ho hum, that's Tottenham.
On the one hand I admire your amazing laid back approach to Spurs. Envy it even. On the other hand it drives me fucking mad that so many of our fans have this losers mentality. Happy to forever sucker up to our rivals. This so called spursy approach is probably why we always fall short.

Not sure what the prevailing mood is on the thread, and I might get shit for this, but I thought we played pretty well. I'd say we were the better team for the majority, but Chelsea managed to do the most damage with their roughly 20 minutes of better form.

The lads were up for it and put in a serious shift.

Though I will say I'm getting fucking tired of losing/drawing from winning positions at The Bridge, I feel like that's three in a row now.

I think the constant resting of key players has been awful. * Excluding the league cup, who in particular are you referring to? Vertonghen in the CL game perhaps. You could argue that you know better than Pochettino, although I suspect he knows more that you or I will ever know about footballers and has the advantage of seeing them train every day.

I think the playing around with formations constantly has been awful. * Most people would disagree. This season we have had loads of injuries, combined with several dips in form. Do you think that is to do with formations? You know he never wasted Dier to play CB or Wimmer LB today but his hand was forced. He changed the formation against Woolwich and we looked strong. He is a great manager, the best that we have had in years. If he is driven out by idiots it will take years to get another one of his ability. People forget it took Ferguson years to win anything when he first joined M Utd, then what happened. Poch has over achieved in the time he has been here. We reached a cup final (Eriksen struck the bar at nil-nil) and had a title challenge last season that none of us would have predicted. If we are all honest we all thought 5th or 6th at the best.

I think picking a different back line and players has been awful. *He alternated the full backs last year almost every game last season and it worked great. Wimmer had to come in for Jan after C Palace away and did a fine job. If my memory is right he only kept Rose and Walker in permanently during the final run in, when results went against us. Were you complaining then?

I think his substitutions have been poor, * Moaners have mentioned this before, even last season. I wish I had a better memory but a couple of away games that i went to, Watford (Son) and C Palace (Chadli) saw his subs have an impact. Also it was Son that came on against W Spam.
Winks and Janssen were pointless subs * Who else could he bring on!! We have injuries and please dont mention Sissoko - as if he would have made the difference today.

I think his in-game management has largely consisted of him sitting on his bench looking upset, which isn't good enough.

I think his post and pre match interviews have been poor, passionless and not what fans want to hear. He's largely been content, despite such a drastic dip in form.

I think his prioritisation of games/leagues/cups is awful, highlighted by last year going out of the FA cup, Europa League and then losing many games in the League in a short period. *I remember my friends and I thought he was stupid to play a weakened team in the league cup against woolwich on a Wednesday last season because we all 'knew' we wouldnt beat Man City who were in storming form on the following Saturday. We all looked pretty stupid after we pulled out a dream performance and smashed them 4-1.
I took time off work and a coach to watch us play a weakened team against Dortmund, we were all disappointed but the following results were 3-nil over B'mouth, 1-1 at Anfield, 3-nil over Man u and nil 4 away to Stoke. Again he was proved right. Yes we went out to Palace in the FA Cup, but if we were being tactical we should have lost to Leicester in the competition and given them more of a distraction. He didnt do that, so its a case of damned if you do and damned if you dont.

I think not giving GK more game time has been awful.

I think the complete departure from last years formation and tactics have been awful, even when players have been fit to play largely the same 11. *So again this is a manager than put in place the things we all loved to see last season. Do you think he wants that to change? The issue is more to do with players coming back jaded from the international games during the summer. Our players are quite performing to the same standards, take Dembele who was brilliant last year (for many seasons he wasnt), are you really saying the Poch is limiting him?

I think the lack of pressing has been awful. When we do press (City and today first half) we don't look too bad. Then for some reason we simply stop doing it and look average. For Pedros goal we simply switched off and no one closed him down. Same for Moses.

I think selling Chadli was beyond awful and I think the transfers have made us weaker, not stronger. *you may have a point here. To be honest I was never a massive fan of Chadli. I think W Brom is about the right level for him. He gave the ball away that led to W Spam scoring an early goal at the end of last season. All depends if Jansenn comes good. Georges NKoudou is pretty much a straight swap for Njie. I think Sissoko was a panic buy and i wish we could have signed Mane instead. But no manager will always get transfers right. Even if you chose the right candidate there is not guarantee that you will be able to sign them. We fans simplify this.

On top of that his training seems to be exhausting the players and causing them injuries. We had almost no injuries last year, now we have loads. This is either down to pure luck last year or over-working the players this year. This is further backed up by the fact so many key players seem to need constant resting, when they didn't last year. *Firstly Kane and Toby were injured whilst playing. Absolutely nothing to do with over working them during training. Secondly you want (rightly) to see the high press from last season but dont you realise that it requires the team to train harder than the opposition?

We were a good team last year, not because we had good players, but because the tactics and team were more than the sum of their parts. This year we look like less than the parts themselves, never mind the sum. *so have faith in the guy who put those pieces together.

I think his post and pre match interviews have been poor, passionless and not what fans want to hear. He's largely been content, despite such a drastic dip in form. * Thats almost funny. I know you wanted to list many points as you could to justify your negativity but are you really serious??? Do you remember when Keagan lost it on TV or Benitez rant about Ferguson. Was that enough passion for you, shame it had the opposite effect and lost the players respect. Look what happened to Mourinho last year when he complained about his blue scum players. If Poch is calm and controlled on TV then that is absolutely fine, it doesnt piss off true fans. We are more likely to be made cross by melters on forums.

I think not giving GK more game time has been awful. * Based on what, Fifa?? He put in a decent cameo in a CL game but has since been poor when given an opportunity.

I think the lack of pressing has been awful. When we do press (City and today first half) we don't look too bad. Then for some reason we simply stop doing it and look average. For Pedros goal we simply switched off and no one closed him down. Same for Moses. * I rewound and watched Dier failed interception on Pedro a couple of times. At first i thought he should have closed him down, but IMO his weight was on the wrong foot and he couldnt shift into the right position quickly enough. But I admit i could be wrong. In any event it was a brilliant strike and hard to defend.

I hate the Blue Scum more than any anything. Its because of their fans and classless way that the club is run. I'm know I'm not the only Spurs fan to hate them more than Woolwich (but that was never the case 10 or 15 yrs ago). I watched the game today on TV with my Spurs supporting kids and felt just as gutted as anyone that we lost, but for people (i wont call them true fans) to blame the team or the manager is IMO wrong and can only damage morale.
I am lucky enough to have a couple of season tickets and get so frustrated by some fans who sit on the their hands and make a sound only when jeering a missed placed pass or only cheer when we are 2 or 3 goals up. Dont people remember the not too distant bad days?
I read this forum almost every night but I never post because I'm not an aggressive person and know that putting my head above the pulpit will result in a slagging match, but today I felt compelled to and responded to the above points. I am dismayed by the excessively negative posts from some posters and just wish they followed another team

Back
Top Bottom