Yves Bissouma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cool Mick
Amazing Richard, I state what the problem is with the team and who needs replacing and you make series of smarmy schoolboy humour remarks. The game starts falling apart after a good start because we surrender the midfield and Ange dumps the two players I felt were underperforming and replaced them with the two who should be starting and we promptly romp through the remaining 45 minutes.
And yet you have neither the humility or decency to acknowledge the fact that I was proved right.
In answer to one of your earlier jibes, no I'm not good enough to do it professionally or capable of earning a living giving selection advice to anyone in the professional ranks.

But I did prove that I'm better at recognising footballers who are falling short of the standards required of the roles that are being selected for.

And you proved that you can't.

We were talking about Pape Sarr and you are flat out wrong, the kid has had a proper breakthrough season and been one of the premier league revelations.
In your opinion
He's not good enough to give us a strong midfield, and with Bissouma, Madison's effect is diluted.
They got hooked we took over and won.
He isn't a revelation at all, he's an ordinary , run of the mill prem midfielder - nothing more

In your opinion
He's not good enough to give us a strong midfield, and with Bissouma, Madison's effect is diluted.
They got hooked we took over and won.
He isn't a revelation at all, he's an ordinary , run of the mill prem midfielder - nothing more

It's genuinely so funny that you'll defend an actually ordinary PL footballer with next to no athleticism or really stand-out qualities at all (Winks) but will call a 21 year old like Sarr with bags of athleticism and very obvious qualities run of the mill.

Udogie is certainly the prime culprit as he simply lets his man go completely and gives up, but Bissouma sees the runner fly forward and continues jogging as if there’s no danger.

At least get back and run hard, you never know how the ball will fall and you might be able to make a clearance or a tackle. He chose to just let it happen.
He just gave up tracking, far from the fucking first time either.

Lol@Deutershite calling him consistent and yet again bringing up Harry fucking Winks.

Neither was/did Dembele.

Again; ditto Dembele.

..............We have ourselves a circular argument.

I'm resigned to not changing minds over this.... I just don't see it as a "baffling" prospect.

I was reading through some pages... and... I mean... come on.

Repeating "Dembele" is not an argument.

Dembele was most unique player that has played for Spurs in past 15 years. There literally has been no one else in the world football with same skillset. So lets agree something that should be extremely obvious to any Spurs fans - if we discuss some midfield player qualities, saying something along the lines of "But when you think what Dembele did/had" is 100% faulty argument. Or well.. it is not an argument at all. We just had an unicorn.

Some of his attributes on isolation can be used as a benchmark, but whenever someones overall ability is compared to the legend that was Dembele.

We are so open on the counter. Our front three are fucking hopeless defensively, as are our FB’s.

I genuinely don’t see what another 6 is going to do to change those things.

Unless the system changes, whoever is the 6 is going to look fucked. Bissouma is defensively very good and also covers ground.

That’s utter rubbish. Bissouma has his man covered and stays ahead of him the whole time, it’s Udogie who completely gives up and lets his man, who was far more pivotal, completely run off him.

Somehow trying to drag Bissouma into fault for that goal is just blatant scapegoating.

Ok, so this one is scapegoating.
Now go back to Luton game. How would you describe his half-hearted jog-along of past-prime Townsend who set up Luton's goal?

Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that top quality DM would just politely accompanied a winger like that? Without stopping him, tackling, pushing him off the trajectory?

I agree that DM as one player cannot to the defending for the whole team, but in such instances DM should do his absolute utmost to close down the players and make their life difficult. To absolutely suck any kind of enjoyment, room and oxygen from them. To let opposition players know that they absolutely shall not pass.

Not just pretend to defend and then wave your hands around after giving up chase / being too soft.

Expert DM is THE BIGGEST need in upcoming summer, sorry, Biss fans.

All I keep hearing lately is X is an 8 and Y is a 6

Biss is 8
Sarr is 29
Skipp is 4
PEH 5
Bentancur 33

Formations change every few years. 442, 451, 352, 4231, 433, 443 etc etc etc etc,.
Don't put such an emphasis on a single position for a limited number of systems.
Ange could walk in a year and you're left with a player(s) who doesn't fit the next guys ideas.

We just need good footballers who can adapt and perform a few different roles.

Can I get a 6 that at least gets his foot stuck in and sets a tone, I don't see where he's defensively very good when he's had trouble stopping transition attacks all season, he's not that guy.
We play with only 3 players back. In oppo transitions, if any of those three jump to engage the oppo it will sure as shit result in a goal against us, rewatch the Forrest goal for an example of this in action. It's VDV that jumps out of his position as he comes out VERY wide as Forrest attacks down our left flank, which creates masses of space behind, which then means Romero reacts to jumping out to cover this and subsequently, we now have both our CB's out of position along with our left back out of the box leaving ONLY Porro on the cover. Had VDV not jumped and remained in his position they probably wouldn't have scored as our defence would have been set to deal with any threat from any of oppo involved in that counter, and Biss was positioned nicely to cover the deeper passing lane.

With only 3 men left back the absolutely last thing you want to see is one of those three going in for a tackle or getting pulled out of defensive shape (getting drawn to the ball or committing to a tackle).

View: https://x.com/SkySportsPL/status/1777026152466387246

Some will say Biss should be dropping into the space that VDV vacates, but all that would do is leave the cutback on from the Forrerst player that Biss is covering at the start of this move.

We do need to work on these phases better, as the route to goal for the oppo in every game is going to be playing behind our FB's, it's a piece of piss for VDV to mop up balls played long into this space using his pace but when a team carry the ball we are very vulnerable as our structure/discipline needs much improvement.

At 54mins Forrest is attacking down our left again, very similar position to their goal, with the attack behind Destiny, the ball being carried and VDV almost gets drawn out again BUT this time he checks, and doesn't move out he remains in his position (he remains well within the width of the penalty box throughout the entire attacking phase), it means Romero is marking wood, Porro has back post covered and by this time PEH is on the pitch and IMO is a little too deep playing almost level but inside VDV (if he plays a few yards higher he covers off a possible 3rd man run or a square ball or even a cut-back). The oppo is unchallenged in carrying the ball but we have 3 defenders back covering the goal well and marking all oppo players. The only option is then a lofted ball to the back post but by the time the ball is played, Hudson-Odoi is now almost at the dead ball line and at an impossible angle and tamely taps the ball well wide of the goal.

All because VDV didn't jump out to the man on the ball.

I guess the players know what they should do but needs more time to become fully engrained.

Last edited:

This is bang on except for Biss and then PEH involvement.

NOTHING has changed in these two examples with the impact of Biss or PEH involvement, it's all about VDV not jumping out of position. It's VDV's fault for the goal. (And I disagree with those saying it's Destiny's fault, it's not we've asked him to play high and inverted, so teams are going to want to attack this space, it's not about Destiny it's all about VDV's decision to jump out).

IMO PEH is too deep in the 2nd example, if he remains a few yards higher then he's coving a ball played square or even cut-back to a possible 3rd man run, just him being a couple of yards higher blocks that lane. He should be in the position that Biss is in the first clip, which is perfect.

I was reading through some pages... and... I mean... come on.

Repeating "Dembele" is not an argument.

Dembele was most unique player that has played for Spurs in past 15 years. There literally has been no one else in the world football with same skillset. So lets agree something that should be extremely obvious to any Spurs fans - if we discuss some midfield player qualities, saying something along the lines of "But when you think what Dembele did/had" is 100% faulty argument. Or well.. it is not an argument at all. We just had an unicorn.

Some of his attributes on isolation can be used as a benchmark, but whenever someones overall ability is compared to the legend that was Dembele.

Thanks for the strawman.

I didn't do what you claim.

We play with only 3 players back. In oppo transitions, if any of those three jump to engage the oppo it will sure as shit result in a goal against us, rewatch the Forrest goal for an example of this in action. It's VDV that jumps out of his position as he comes out VERY wide as Forrest attacks down our left flank, which creates masses of space behind, which then means Romero reacts to jumping out to cover this and subsequently, we now have both our CB's out of position along with our left back out of the box leaving ONLY Porro on the cover. Had VDV not jumped and remained in his position they probably wouldn't have scored as our defence would have been set to deal with any threat from any of oppo involved in that counter, and Biss was positioned nicely to cover the deeper passing lane.

With only 3 men left back the absolutely last thing you want to see is one of those three going in for a tackle or getting pulled out of defensive shape (getting drawn to the ball or committing to a tackle).

View: https://x.com/SkySportsPL/status/1777026152466387246

Some will say Biss should be dropping into the space that VDV vacates, but all that would do is leave the cutback on from the Forrerst player that Biss is covering at the start of this move.

We do need to work on these phases better, as the route to goal for the oppo in every game is going to be playing behind our FB's, it's a piece of piss for VDV to mop up balls played long into this space using his pace but when a team carry the ball we are very vulnerable as our structure/discipline needs much improvement.

At 54mins Forrest is attacking down our left again, very similar position to their goal, with the attack behind Destiny, the ball being carried and VDV almost gets drawn out again BUT this time he checks, and doesn't move out he remains in his position (he remains well within the width of the penalty box throughout the entire attacking phase), it means Romero is marking wood, Porro has back post covered and by this time PEH is on the pitch and IMO is a little too deep playing almost level but inside VDV (if he plays a few yards deeper he covers off a possible 3rd man run or a square ball or even a cut-back). The oppo is unchallenged in carrying the ball but we have 3 defenders back covering the goal well and marking all oppo players. The only option is then a lofted ball to the back post but by the time the ball is played, Hudson-Odoi is now almost at the dead ball line and at an impossible angle and tamely taps the ball well wide of the goal.

All because VDV didn't jump out to the man on the ball.

I guess the players know what they should do but needs more time to become fully engrained.

There's collective failures in that goal we conceded, I actually think Romero should come over and cover VDV as much as Bissouma should recognise the big gap.

spurs2.png

I don't even think VDV did that much wrong as he had to go with the runner

But I posted it in here because I at least expect our DMF to sniff the danger and fill in, what does Rice and Ridri do in that situation for example?

Maybe there's a lack of communication between Romero and Bissouma, maybe they left it too each other but someone needed to attack that space.

On the 2nd vid Hojbjerg immediately recognises the danger and fills in.

There's collective failures in that goal we conceded, I actually think Romero should come over and cover VDV as much as Bissouma should recognise the big gap.

spurs2.png

I don't even think VDV did that much wrong as he had to go with the runner

But I posted it in here because I at least expect our DMF to sniff the danger and fill in, what does Rice and Ridri do in that situation for example?

Maybe there's a lack of communication between Romero and Bissouma, maybe they left it too each other but someone needed to attack that space.

On the 2nd vid Hojbjerg immediately recognises the danger and fills in.

This entire move is about VDV, no one else.

If VDV doesn't get drawn to the oppo then there is NO WTF gap for anyone to fill. Just look at the 2nd clip you posted, the example is crystal clear the difference between the two attacks is what happens when he stays home or jumps out.

PEH fills in what?? Who is PEH stopping? He's just standing behind VDV there is NO opposition player there, the Oppo are at CF who Romero is marking and can do so properly because VDV has held his position. There's another attacker making a run to the back post, who is covered by Porro (and as the move develops it's shown how this is defended).

There is a NEW WTF gap though, and that's the space PEH has created by being too deep (behind VDV), whilst this isn't a serious thing, he's covering no one and now there's a space for a square ball to be played in front of the defence or one even cut back if the attacker wants to go to the by-line, neither of these become options if PEH is 5yrds higher i.e in the position that Biss is in in the example for the first goal.

But I stress, this goal is not about Biss, it's not about Destiny, Porro or Romero, it's all about VDV getting it wrong, something he doesn't do in the 2nd clip.

This entire move is about VDV, no one else.

If VDV doesn't get drawn to the oppo then there is NO WTF gap for anyone to fill. Just look at the 2nd clip you posted, the example is crystal clear the difference between the two attacks is what happens when he stays home or jumps out.

PEH fills in what?? Who is PEH stopping? He's just standing behind VDV there is NO opposition player there, the Oppo are at CF who Romero is marking and can do so properly because VDV has held his position. There's another attacker making a run to the back post, who is covered by Porro (and as the move develops it's shown how this is defended).

There is a NEW WTF gap though, and that's the space PEH has created by being too deep (behind VDV), whilst this isn't a serious thing, he's covering no one and now there's a space for a square ball to be played in front of the defence or one even cut back if the attacker wants to go to the by-line, neither of these become options if PEH is 5yrds higher i.e in the position that Biss is in in the example for the first goal.

But I stress, this goal is not about Biss, it's not about Destiny, Porro or Romero, it's all about VDV getting it wrong, something he doesn't do in the 2nd clip.

I don’t have Sky to record games etc but on the extended highlights you can see Bissouma’s starting position is about 5 yards in front of Sarr.
We are setup as. 4-1-4-1 and there is absolutely zero pressure on their back 2 either.
I’m guessing they worked Bissouma out of the middle. Forest coaching staff probably spotted something in the way we set up sometimes.

When you watch it through he actually covers the most ground to get back over to the other side of the pitch.
But his starting position is just too far over to the right hand side of the pitch.

And yeah 100% agree about VDV. Doesn’t need to go charging out over there
Just one of those split second decisions you make.
I’d imagine with his pace he thought he could get there.
Sure he will learn.

I don’t have Sky to record games etc but on the extended highlights you can see Bissouma’s starting position is about 5 yards in front of Sarr.
We are setup as. 4-1-4-1 and there is absolutely zero pressure on their back 2 either.
I’m guessing they worked Bissouma out of the middle. Forest coaching staff probably spotted something in the way we set up sometimes.

When you watch it through he actually covers the most ground to get back over to the other side of the pitch.
But his starting position is just too far over to the right hand side of the pitch.

And yeah 100% agree about VDV. Doesn’t need to go charging out over there
Just one of those split second decisions you make.
I’d imagine with his pace he thought he could get there.
Sure he will learn.
I think Biss is doing a man-marking roll on their 10, as he covers his move across the pitch, but I think he remains in a good position throughout all of this move, the ONLY player to remain in his position.

The fact he has not made this mistake in the 2nd example is cool and shows he is aware of what he got wrong for the goal. I guess the more we play the better we get.

Back
Top Bottom