Yves Bissouma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

great footwork in close spaces- he can actually beat a man on the dribble. great penetrating runs into the left side of the utd box today. incredible that he can offer us this in addition to his engine and defensive work. total gem. excellent example for sarr and skipp to learn from.
I loved the way that as the game went on they backed off

He’d done them so many times tight that they had to give a yard so he didn’t go past them

Mark of a quality player

Edit. He made a point of embracing Sarr at the end. You can see what those 2 mean to each other. Gonna be massive those 2

The fundamental difference between a player like Bissouma and a player like Hojbjerg is that Hojbjerg is always positioning himself to receive the ball in a pocket of space between defenders and pick his head up to assess his options, he's trying to maximize the time he's allowed once the ball comes to him. A lot of his pointy shit is trying to generate that distance.

Solid, safe, schoolboy fundamentals football. Great for the pass completion stats as you're always affording yourself a thoughtful decision. But it always means that once he's in receipt the defense is in their shape and in their numbers and can recover and constrict the options available to the attack. Both teams benefit from the moment of thought his positioning creates.

Bissouma is like Dembele was, he stays close to his markers, he is naturally always feeling for leverage, so when the ball comes his first thought and first move is to play the defender. He's beaten a man and split the lines by the time he's touched the ball, he's created an overload just by the way he receives the ball.

If your coaching commitment is to holding a shape, you'll appreciate Hojbjerg's positional caution. His interaction with the play never breaks the structure Conte or Mourinho (or, pretty please, Simeone) would have drawn up in the dressing room. But if you want to create danger and put the defense under pressure, Hojbjerg stops that momentum with every touch, whereas Bissouma sparks it.
This is EXACTLY what many of us PEH "haters" have been trying to point out for years. The fact that Biss is so comfortable on the ball means he is a passing option for the CBs regardless of how much pressure the opposition put on us with a high press. It also means that we don't have to give Biss passing options to escape the press, that means those other players are free to move up the pitch, and just trust Biss to get the ball past the press.

The opposition commiting a presser/marker on him is just begging to get outnumbered somewhere else for no pay off in terms of forcing a turnover.

He's even better then the dude i remembered wanting to sign from Brighton.

Gotta bless Sarr with MOTM today cos of the goal, but what a boss performance from the man like Bissouma.

The MF3 were first class.

This is EXACTLY what many of us PEH "haters" have been trying to point out for years. The fact that Biss is so comfortable on the ball means he is a passing option for the CBs regardless of how much pressure the opposition put on us with a high press. It also means that we don't have to give Biss passing options to escape the press, that means those other players are free to move up the pitch, and just trust Biss to get the ball past the press.

The opposition commiting a presser/marker on him is just begging to get outnumbered somewhere else for no pay off in terms of forcing a turnover.
And in PEH’s slight defense, he has for much of his career been a more progressive player than the miserable wretch Conte turned him into. There were a couple little moments today, he plays with his head up and his eyes forward.

But he’s a safety first shape-keeping guy on his best day and that’s of no use to Ange. Both sides will be happier with him gone.

And as for Bissouma, yes he should have played more for Conte, but Angeball is asking him to do exactly the things that make him excellent as a player. It’s a perfect marriage.

It was all going down the drain last year no matter what we did. Toxic situation, thank god we’re on the other side.

I loved the way that as the game went on they backed off

He’d done them so many times tight that they had to give a yard so he didn’t go past them

Mark of a quality player

Edit. He made a point of embracing Sarr at the end. You can see what those 2 mean to each other. Gonna be massive those 2
our midfield beat them into submission and broke their spirit today. youre right, there was a clear backing off from united. they looked like they wanted the final whistle from about 75 mins.

to be fair how draining would it be to play against this 3? you got bissouma and maddison capable of not only passing you to death but also can drop a shoulder, or turn and leave you for dead. then you got sarr running like mo farah from one end of the pitch to the other at a pace you just cant touch. then when you do get near him the fuckers got technique to deal with you too.....they will destroy a lot of teams spirit this year. fucking powerful midfield 3 it really is.

Last edited:
I loved the way Modric and Dembele played for us and I'd put Bissouma in a similar vein.

Absolutely criminal the way Conte shackled and misused him.
a few pages back i said hes our modern modric, a few plums thought that was hilarious lol. this bloke is the second best CM weve had in the premier league era.

you put a modric or this bissouma in that team the year leciester won the league, we dont just win the league we fucking storm it.

I wrote couple posts with my opinion regarding some of our players performances, all of them consisted of couple sentences - but for this guy one word enough - BOSS

Back
Top Bottom