"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Interestingly enough, our next opponents are Cardiff who celebrate the fact they've been abused as "sheep shaggers" by bringing inflatable sheep to their games. I can only assume that the FA will charge Cardiff fans with being racist towards Welsh people (after all, you don't have to be Welsh to be a Cardiff fan)

Interestingly enough, our next opponents are Cardiff who celebrate the fact they've been abused as "sheep shaggers" by bringing inflatable sheep to their games. I can only assume that the FA will charge Cardiff fans with being racist towards Welsh people (after all, you don't have to be Welsh to be a Cardiff fan)

The Society of Baa Baa Black Sheep Lawyers will be all over them soon.

Norwich City also celebrate the fact in one of their chants that "They cant read, they cant write, but they can drive a tractor" is this also considered as a slight against people with learning difficulties ? In my very humble opinion no it is not its just banter.
The F.A have bigger fish to fry e.g tapping up players from foreign clubs...... the list is endless.

Could someone explain to me why the word Yid or Yiddish is deemed offensive at all? It's a term that's been around for a very long time, used amongst Jewish people. Yiddish was the international language of the Jews in Europe, much of American Jewish culture derives from Yiddish culture rather than the Middle Eastern Jews. Yiddish is a language and a culture. It's not the same as the word nigger or even negro which were words that outsiders put on those people. I accept that some fascists and racists used the term in their abuse but surely they used the word Jew just as much, right? So why is Yid considered offensive on it's own?

As far as I can tell the law seems to reflect this, that it is not offensive without being used in the context of abuse.

Unless there is a clear view from Jewish Spurs fans that this is offensive and they want it to stop, anyone outside the club needs to fuck right off imo.

One of my best friends who I grew up with is now a Rabbi in Israel. I asked him what he thought about the whole yid army thing and he says that he is touched by it: How the whole of the Spurs community defended their Jewish supporters by turning what were originally hooligan taunts on their head. It's no secret that North London and particularly Tottenham has, or certainly used to have, a very pronounced and large Jewish community.

So the FA can bugger off in my view.

Does anyone actually use 'Yid' as a term of anti-semitic (rather than anti-Spurs) abuse these days?

If someone calls me a 'dirty yid' i tend to assume its the same as me calling someone a gooner cunt, etc - becasue when they actually want me to know they are trying to racially abuse Jews they're a hell of a lot more specific about it! (there's a much harsher vocabulary for that purpose).

For example (cant find the youtub clip but...) Millwall vs Leeds last year when Adam Smith got poleaxed all you can hear from the Leeds fans was 'you dirty fucking jew' - no 'Yid' to heard. When the fascists attacked supporters in Rome they weren't banging on about 'Yids' - possibly they've never even heard the term - they went straight for the full-blooded Nazi stuff.

I suspect pretty much any anti-semitic attack in a non-football context in the last 30 years has seldom if at all included the word 'Yid' as a component. Maybe in the 1930s, maybe even in the 50s and 60s (debatable i reckon) but not to any real degree in my lifetime (i'm 42).

In the history of anti-semitism 'Yid' as a term of abuse has to be just about the mildest expression going -
to the extent that the far right dont bother with it and most others are unaware of it.

One of my best friends who I grew up with is now a Rabbi in Israel. I asked him what he thought about the whole yid army thing and he says that he is touched by it: How the whole of the Spurs community defended their Jewish supporters by turning what were originally hooligan taunts on their head. It's no secret that North London and particularly Tottenham has, or certainly used to have, a very pronounced and large Jewish community.

So the FA can bugger off in my view.

Tottenham has never had a large Jewish community. Stamford Hill did (and still has a shul) and the majority of our "traditional" Jewish fan base, made the journey up on tram/train from the Jewish communities of Whitechapel and Bethnal Green as (with no co-incidence this...) they were not made to feel welcome at West Ham

Jew. Yid. Black. Pakistani. Scottish. English. Gay. Ginger. Scouse. Geordie. Irish. French. Fat.

Not one offensive word there in my opinion.

Put Bastard, Cunt or wanker after any of them and you might, nay will, cause offence.

So, to my mind, that should put an end to whether or not Spurs fans use of the word 'Yid' is offensive or not.

CONTEXT versus CUNTEXT in my opinion!

If people can't grasp that when Spurs fans say Yid, as opposed to (for argument's sake) a Far right Chelsea fan says it, the word/phrase/context has a VERY different meaning, then not only do they not understand football etiquette, they don't understand SOCIETY!

David Cameron stumbled into a race row today after saying Tottenham Hotspur fans who use the word “Yid” in chants should not be prosecuted.

The Prime Minister said Spurs fans who call themselves the “Yid army” and players “Yiddos” were not using the term as an offence.

His comments come amid controversy over the term’s use amongst Jewish groups who have insisted it is always offensive and encourages anti-Semitism.

Mr Cameron’s statement also contradicts guidance issued by the Football Association last week which said fans chanting the word on the terrace could be liable to criminal charges.

Speaking to the Jewish Chronicle the Prime Minister said: “You have to think of the [intent].

“There’s a difference between Spurs fans self-describing themselves as Yids and someone calling someone a Yid as an insult.

“You have to be motivated by hate. Hate speech should be prosecuted — but only when it’s motivated by hate.”

David Cameron stumbled into a race row today after saying Tottenham Hotspur fans who use the word “Yid” in chants should not be prosecuted.

Why did he STUMBLE into a race row...? It makes it sound as if he said something WRONG...
Oh yeah, that's right, apparently it IS wrong to agree that Spurs fans MIGHT actually have a fucking valid point!

I don't agree with a lot of what Cameron has to say... but for this comment alone, he's got my vote!
('cos that's how politics works, right?!)

“There’s a difference between Spurs fans self-describing themselves as Yids and someone calling someone a Yid as an insult.”

Can't remember the last time I agreed with a politician but Big Davey C has nailed it here. It's a shame it has to go this far and be said, as it is so obvious, but it is nice to see the PM express some common sense on the issue.

I still can't honestly believe it's got this far...
for relatively intelligent - I assume - people up at the FA (or whoever else is SO incensed by all this) NOT to get the difference, I'd point them in the general direction of any regional Town Centre in England during the day... lots of happy shoppers, going about their daily lives... all walking around in peace, not bothering each other...
Jump forward a few hours to 11pm/12am, and see the difference!
Same town centre, different context!

I still can't honestly believe it's got this far...
for relatively intelligent - I assume - people up at the FA (or whoever else is SO incensed by all this) NOT to get the difference, I'd point them in the general direction of any regional Town Centre in England during the day... lots of happy shoppers, going about their daily lives... all walking around in peace, not bothering each other...
Jump forward a few hours to 11pm/12am, and see the difference!

Same town centre, different context!

You've clearly never been to Lowestoft.

Jew. Yid. Black. Pakistani. Scottish. English. Gay. Ginger. Scouse. Geordie. Irish. French. Fat.

Not one offensive word there in my opinion.

Put Bastard, Cunt or wanker after any of them and you might, nay will, cause offence.

So, to my mind, that should put an end to whether or not Spurs fans use of the word 'Yid' is offensive or not.
Pipe down you fat, gay, ginger, Scottish cunt.

they are about to discuss this on 5 live drive shortly
I believe that Peter Allen, one of the presenters, is Spurs, apart from the people they will have discussing it

Back
Top Bottom