WTF is going wrong

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the title suggests

• Under-invested mess of a squad

Votes: 100 49.8%
  • Over-the-hill mess of a manager

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 60 29.9%
  • I prefer to stick my head in the sand and pretend everythings sweet

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • We have the right board and the right manager, but teams lose games sometimes

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Liver metatastis frequency

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
We have many able players for the top level, 14-15 of them can hold their own in most squads. It's ensuring that we turn that number closer to 20 over the next window or two that's important. If we can get closer to 25 good uns in the next 12-18 months then great but we have a decent nucleus, we just need to be ruthless with who we want now.

I really don’t think it’ll take much business to get us back firmly into the top 4 again. We need a new CB, RB and DM the most for our first XI, and a reserve striker. After that, I’m not exactly convinced we have many holes, maybe LB and a long term Lloris replacement, it’s not much. There are plenty of good options out there to get for these positions, like you said, it’ll take ruthlessness to do it.

We have many able players for the top level, 14-15 of them can hold their own in most squads. It's ensuring that we turn that number closer to 20 over the next window or two that's important. If we can get closer to 25 good uns in the next 12-18 months then great but we have a decent nucleus, we just need to be ruthless with who we want now.
I shared your optimism until the defence collapsed on Sunday and JM didnt fancy Ald or Van, what a statement on our current bunch . Then he says on MOTD that Dier had a good match? No DM is the problem and Dier was played at CH!
Japhet was blamed but no protection because no DM. I hope we have enough money to plug the gaps but I don't think so. As I have said this window will be the most important yet. I hope we don't get a load of old players to make do. Our success was started when we had a lot of young players together. Buy a few good guys and use our young players is a better way forward. After all if we had never kicked Soldado to the touchline, Kane would never have emerged. I have suggested raffling Ndombele at a French fete!

I really don’t think it’ll take much business to get us back firmly into the top 4 again. We need a new CB, RB and DM the most for our first XI, and a reserve striker. After that, I’m not exactly convinced we have many holes, maybe LB and a long term Lloris replacement, it’s not much. There are plenty of good options out there to get for these positions, like you said, it’ll take ruthlessness to do it.
Or we need 2 x RB, 2 x CH, 1 x LB, 1 x DM, 1 X CF.
Just hope we don't end up with old UTD cast-offs.

Our biggest problem is going to be selling Ndombele etc to get the money in to do this. MAJOR JOB - Don't underestimate the task.

Our biggest problem is going to be selling Ndombele etc to get the money in to do this. MAJOR JOB - Don't underestimate the task.

Well I don’t think we need that many new players. But I do think this is a big summer, and I’m not sure how selling Ndombele is going to fix anything other than ensure that we have to buy another CM.

Might be that we have to sell Kane to generate funds hope not but without CL money it could be a possibility

Might be that we have to sell Kane to generate funds hope not but without CL money it could be a possibility
Record breaking club revenues, World record profits, 8th richest club on the planet, multi-billionaire owner.........

If we're still having to sell our best players to fund new arrivals that would be the ultimate piss-take

Well I don’t think we need that many new players. But I do think this is a big summer, and I’m not sure how selling Ndombele is going to fix anything other than ensure that we have to buy another CM.
We absolutely need every single one of those players and then some. I’d add a keeper to that too.

People need to realise that THAT squad is unsalvageable. It’s over, this is transition and we are firmly rooted at square one.
If Poch was talking about another three windows, then Jose is going to need at least this summer to get a semblance of where we are going, can’t rely on January and then next summer to fully rebuild the mess.

We’re on about 85% deadwood/not good enough/won’t make it as things stand.

Gone:
Dembele
Eriksen
Rose
KWP
Wanyama
Llorente
Trippier

Need replacing:
Aurier
Dier
Lloris
Ndombele (he's 23 for gods sake)
Dele

Need some more years:
Sessegnon
Clarke
Tanganga
Foyth
Parrot

Need to be just squad options:
Toby
Lamela (due to fitness)
Davies

Jury out:
Gedson
Winks
Gaz

So basically, from a sqaud Kane, Son, Moura Sanchez, Bergwijn Sissoko and Lo Celso make the first team when fit, and maybe 4 others make the bench

Last edited:
Gone:
Dembele
Eriksen
Rose
KWP
Wanyama
Llorente
Trippier

Need replacing:
Aurier
Dier
Lloris
Ndombele (he's 23 for gods sake)
Dele

Need some more years:
Sessegnon
Clarke
Tanganga
Foyth
Parrot

Need to be just squad options:
Toby
Lamela (due to fitness)
Davies

Jury out:
Gedson
Winks
Gaz

So basically, from a sqaud Kane, Son, Sanchez, Bergwijn Sissoko and Lo Celso make the first team when fit, and maybe 4 others make the bench

#RememberJan

:vert:

Lucky we have a proactive chairman prepared to move swiftly I suppose
No chairman on the planet can rebuild this in a summer window and nor should they.
It’s a three year rebuild, with integrating a few at a time, and filtering out the deadwood over time.

You can’t buy 14 players in a window.

No chairman on the planet can rebuild this in a summer window and nor should they.
It’s a three year rebuild, with integrating a few at a time, and filtering out the deadwood over time.

No, of course not, but it's clearly now not a case of a couple of young promises, long drawn-out negotiations and non-priority signings at the last moment.

We urgently need some daring to do

You can with the right manager:harryhmm:

Back
Top Bottom