Would Rafa Van Der Vaart survive in todays game?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remember the scenes when we bought him. It was so unexpected and a genuinely outrageous coup given the price. Fantastic player and a genuine shame it didn’t last longer.

Unfortunately, Levy has lived off the back of that transfer for the last decade.

The guy in the hole behind the front man that's the best player on the pitch, but a bit work-shy. What would his level and position be now?

Look at whats happend to Coutinho, Hazard, Alli and Ozil recently.

Whenever a team loses. Its always this player that gets the majority of the blame.

It's a bit sad but you could probably have this conversation about some of the games greatest talents.

Ronaldhino in his prime did fuck all pressing. Would he survive modern football? Baggio had the knees of a pensioner and couldn't tackle a 5 year old. I guess he'd struggle nowadays?

Berbatov strolling around and having a quick fag at half-time probably wouldn't cut it nowadays either. Always amuses when people moan about Kane not running/presssing etc. They probably weren't watching Berba lounge around i don't think i've ever seen a CF move less than he did. Doubt he would make it in modern football.

I remember the scenes when we bought him. It was so unexpected and a genuinely outrageous coup given the price. Fantastic player and a genuine shame it didn’t last longer.

Unfortunately, Levy has lived off the back of that transfer for the last decade.
He has lived off of Kane popping up out of nowhere and the Son transfer, for the better part of a decade.

To an extent yes, I think you can have one so called luxury player if that player is of an exceptional standard, soon as you have 2-3 of them though the work rate isn’t enough in the modern game.

Also depends on the manager’s system, VDV would go easier into Pep’s system than Conte’s.

Well, the player as he existed couldn’t hack it in today’s game and was edging out of it even in 2011.

But a player like that would be built differently from the ground up if he were a kid today.

Less swashbuckling and less fun, but his underlying talent level was outrageous.

The guy in the hole behind the front man that's the best player on the pitch, but a bit work-shy. What would his level and position be now?

Whenever a team loses. Its always this player that gets the majority of the blame.
I do think he's different to thoose you mentioned. He was more dangerous as goal threat. He's too good not to be able to adapt.

60 mins yes

vdv was probably our best cam in the last 20 years

modric was further back for us in midfield

to think that was 10 yrs ago and we were just starting in the cl

now i feel we regressed in terms of talent

All day long a player of his quality would survive and thrive.

In today's game he would be every bit a luxury player. The kind that would excel at a mid-table club at times as they would build the team around him.

If you ported VDV from 10 or so years ago to a team who plays now then no he wouldn't last, he'd get hauled off for not pressing from the front and closing down angles and he wouldn't even last the 90 mins anyway, he couldn't even last 90 mins back then.

Back
Top Bottom