Worst defence in the world?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

TOO MANY CHANGES in our defense line almost in every week for Spurs,our defenders look like they don't know well each other,i seen this from at least 2 years until now,and to have a very good defense they must play (all the same 4 defenders must play together at least 28-30 matches from 38 during a season)...for Spurs never i see this during a season...for this season Walker-Fazio-Vertonghen-Rose looks like to be the best system,but they don't played 28 matches together,when appear injuries,suspensions,bad form etc the manager is forced to change again the system,no wonder that mistakes appear in our defense,some goals conceded are funny... and the good results for team will appear after 2 seasons ,when the all 4 defenders ,catch at least 50-60 matches together in the same system...after this they will know each others very well...ok, more patience coming from the fans needed.

Last edited:
I don't think there's many out there that could improve our defence. It's becoming a lost art these days, mainly due to diving cunt strikers acting like Nancy boys.

Be as well fucking off the idea of defending and playing a 2-5-3. Would be fun if nothing else.

I've said it before and i'll say it again...the biggest issue with our defending is our centre midfield partnership. we have two box to box players in Mason and Benteleb, neither are positionally brilliant (in Mason's case he'e pretty damn awful in a positional sense). We continuously get exposed and sliced through the middle because we do not have a natural designated DM that protects the back 4. Replace Mason with an actual DM next season and we're good to go.

i guess being dog shite defending is part of our charm as a club. Barcelona has the possession football, Real has the fast and furious (what a bad pun :walkercry:) attack, the Chavs play the bus and so on.

Could be worst eh? :vertna:

we could be like newcastle :lamelashock:

One thing that baffles me is that our coach who was a decent defender can't manage to get more than 1 clean sheet in out last what, 11 games?! What an absolute joke. I'm all for backing Poch but next season he needs to show some adaptability which a top coach needs. Just because we're playing stoke doesn't mean we play four centre backs to deal with their height.
Look at Woolwich or Chelsea. They don't accommodate the likes of West Ham or Stoke by fielding 'tall players'. They play their normal game and attack. Best form of defence is attack in my eyes.

One thing that baffles me is that our coach who was a decent defender can't manage to get more than 1 clean sheet in out last what, 11 games?! What an absolute joke. I'm all for backing Poch but next season he needs to show some adaptability which a top coach needs. Just because we're playing stoke doesn't mean we play four centre backs to deal with their height.
Look at Woolwich or Chelsea. They don't accommodate the likes of West Ham or Stoke by fielding 'tall players'. They play their normal game and attack. Best form of defence is attack in my eyes.
Uh, perhaps you didn't notice that we didn't have any fit fullbacks, hence the need to throw two centrebacks into those roles?

Our defensive problems this year aren't about the backline, it's been about what happens in front of them much more. We defend as a team, and the failures have been team failures.

Uh, perhaps you didn't notice that we didn't have any fit fullbacks, hence the need to throw two centrebacks into those roles?

Our defensive problems this year aren't about the backline, it's been about what happens in front of them much more. We defend as a team, and the failures have been team failures.

Rose and Yedlin both on the bench. They were fit otherwise they wouldn't have been included.

Well said, it really is incredible that a 'professional manager' and former international defender can be so clueless regarding setting up our defence.

Playing Vlad at LB has to be one of the worst managerial selections I've witnessed in my 50+ years of following Spurs. Both comical and tragic at the same time, resulting in almost inevitable farce. Vesti La Giubba with a full backing from a rerun of Carry On Up The Khyber.o_O

Last edited:
Fit enough to make the bench. Not fit enough to start. Rose is clearly a Pochettino favourite. If he could have found a way to start him, he would have. I think my point still stands.

Then that is awful management if that is the case. Why would you have a sub on the bench only half fit? What if two of our defenders got injured early on, then what would we do? Bring on two defenders who aren't fit?

i thought that too. if vlad got injured in the first 10mins would he have been able to bring on rose? strange when managers do that.

i think southampton defended well last year. surely poch has it in him to set up a good defence.

Then that is awful management if that is the case. Why would you have a sub on the bench only half fit? What if two of our defenders got injured early on, then what would we do? Bring on two defenders who aren't fit?
For a lot of teams at this time of the year, yes, that's exactly what they do. Lewandoski broke his nose, jaw and was concussed. He still tried to be fit for the following week.

Pain, and who can live with the hurt the longest, are major factors at this time of a season.

For a lot of teams at this time of the year, yes, that's exactly what they do. Lewandoski broke his nose, jaw and was concussed. He still tried to be fit for the following week.

Pain, and who can live with the hurt the longest, are major factors at this time of a season.
Thought he was deemed 'fit' enough to start. Rose wasn't so don't include him on the bench.

Thought he was deemed 'fit' enough to start. Rose wasn't so don't include him on the bench.
"Deemed fit" and "desperate throw of the dice by the manager" are not dissimilar things.

You work with what you have. A Rose at 50% with the hope you don't need him is the hand Pochettino was dealt. He played it as he saw it.

Back
Top Bottom