World Cup Qualifiers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Odd how the number of qualifiying slots per continent are skewed.

Europe (53):13
Africa (52):5
Asia (43):4.5
N America (35): 3.5
S America (10): 4.5+1
Oceania (11): 0.5

The number in brackets is the number of participating nations for that continent, the following number is the actual number of qualifying slots available (taken from FIFA). The half-points represent a play off slot with another continent.

Not sure what FIFA consider to be the whole point of this, there is the obvious element of Whipping-Boy-Spectacle[tm] that might be undesirable... but then we all might miss the magic of a good Giant-killing, a-la FA Cup.

Odd how the number of qualifiying slots per continent are skewed.

Europe (53):13
Africa (52):5
Asia (43):4.5
N America (35): 3.5
S America (10): 4.5+1
Oceania (11): 0.5

The number in brackets is the number of participating nations for that continent, the following number is the actual number of qualifying slots available (taken from FIFA). The half-points represent a play off slot with another continent.

Not sure what FIFA consider to be the whole point of this, there is the obvious element of Whipping-Boy-Spectacle[tm] that might be undesirable... but then we all might miss the magic of a good Giant-killing, a-la FA Cup.

How else could it be done? The only way I see of making it fairer is to reduce the amount of European slots as opposed to making the rest larger. Honestly, if you are the 6th best team in Africa/Asia/N.America/S.America/Oceania - do you really deserve to be at the World Cup? If so, what is the point in qualification at all? The other thing you have to bear in mind is the population and land masses of those areas. Europe simply has the better teams per population and land mass. We also have pretty tough teams like Russia and Israel who aren't even in Europe playing under UEFA - both of those teams could easily win the Oceania qualification if they entered it instead.

Last edited:
Well, look at slots allocated per continent as a percentage of participating nations (what percentage of nations from the same continent get a WC Finals slot):

Oceania: 4.5%
Africa: 9.6%
Asia: 10.4%
N America: 10%
Europe: 24.5%
S America: 45% (55% including Brazil)

It'd be interesting to know how FIFA work out the format for the qualifiers.

Well, look at slots allocated per continent as a percentage of participating nations (what percentage of nations from the same continent get a WC Finals slot):

Sorry, but are you honestly wondering why the likes of South America get 55% of the slots? Their countries are the best at football! 4/4 of their slots made it to the quarter finals last time - that's in comparison to 1/6 of the African teams at the last World Cup. I really don't get how else you expect it to be divided, unless you don't want any qualification to be there at all.

for Europe,last 4 places,will be a final battle (2 games - home and away) in the play-off, the draw will be held ,Monday,21th october ,14.00 CET, and the "death games" will be on 15th November (first leg) and 19th November (second leg),to mention that first leg will be held in the field home of the teams from Pool 2. (at draw a team from Pool 2 will meet a team from Pool 1),so ,will be 4 matches intense ones...
(Pool 1: Greece,Croatia,Portugal,Ukraine)
(Pool 2: Romania,Sweden,France,Iceland)

Sorry, but are you honestly wondering why the likes of South America get 55% of the slots? Their countries are the best at football! 4/4 of their slots made it to the quarter finals last time - that's in comparison to 1/6 of the African teams at the last World Cup. I really don't get how else you expect it to be divided, unless you don't want any qualification to be there at all.
I'm not making any judgement, I see the general slant on the qualification slots, as you do. I'm simply wondering exactly how FIFA work it out.

I'm not making any judgement, I see the general slant on the qualification slots, as you do. I'm simply wondering exactly how FIFA work it out.

I know, I was implying that it is probably largely based on how well that continent's representatives have done at the recent World Cup(s) relative to their positions in World Cup Qualifications. I assume it is similar to how UEFA get their coefficient for deciding the number of Champions League places for the English FA, Scottish FA etc.

UEFA's coefficient used to provide part of FIFA's coefficient for Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

Nothing for Antarctica. Fucking racists.

I'm not sure, but I would assume that it is to do with either the co-efficient of the countries making up the confederation or a total confederation co-efficient? I would like to know. It's obvious why Africa only gets five places - because, on the whole, the continent's teams are not up to scratch compared to European and the South American teams.

Back
Top Bottom