World Cup Matches Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Plenty of times i've seen us take on brazil just hoping for a draw always a game we dreaded and feared but for the first time in what feels like an eternity i no longer fear,we can pull this one off.from watching Ronaldo and Rivaldo up front to Fred and Jo,From Kaka and Juninho to paulinho Ramires from Cafu-Lucio to Alves-Luiz
if that isn't going backwards i don't know that it is.

Coma Mierda Triple Hijueputa
I think Brazil will have the hardest route through to the final - especially the two South American teams in the round of 16 and quarters. I didn't think they were going to get past Chile myself, and they were a couple of inches away from going out in the 119th minute! Colombia will be very hard, and if they perform like they have been defensively then it will be a very tough night for the Brazilians!

Just like Chile, I doubt Colombia will have any fear. There is such a thing as showing too much respect, and I don't think Colombia will do that. They have been pretty fearless throughout the whole competition, and I think they'll continue that trend against Brazil - and if they go out it will be all guns blazing.

Personally, I felt that before the competition the pressure and hopes of a nation would crush Brazil - no team has ever experienced it! And so far, they haven't had a single game where they've put in a fluid performance, and I think part of that is because of the weight of expectation on their shoulders.

Viva Colombia!

2 days was way too long!

Predictions for tonight

France 2:1 Germany
Colombia 2:1 Brazil

Boom!
If France are solid defensively then they'll knock Germany out - that back-line looks incredibly shaky and hasn't faced a decent strikeforce yet (we'll rule Ronaldo out of that, he wasn't 100% fit). I wonder how much the Germans are making of this 'flu' that seven players have (or flu-like symptoms). They said the travelling etc have taken their toll and I can resonate with that, but feel that it would be of a cold they would catch than a flu tbh.

2 days was way too long!

Predictions for tonight

France 2:1 Germany
Colombia 2:1 Brazil

Boom!

Going full underdog there!

Think France do have a chance having seen the normal slow centre backs of Germany up against a quicker French front line, Klose still has to break Ronaldo's record though.

Going full underdog there!

Think France do have a chance having seen the normal slow centre backs of Germany up against a quicker French front line, Klose still has to break Ronaldo's record though.
I fancy Pogba getting a goal tonight - the German midfield has been poor defensively this tournament and I think France could get some joy on the break

Mark Lawrenson is the most boring, lifeless, death inducing, horrific commentators ever. I just want to pull my own hair out

I'm surprised he's even on.. The BBC received several complaints about a comment he made during the Swiss/Argies game

World Cup 2014: BBC receive 172 complaints after Mark Lawrenson made a 'sexist' comment during Argentina vs Switzerland
Mark-Lawrenson.jpg

BBC have subsequently apologised for the co-commentators words

The BBC received 172 viewer complaints after Mark Lawrenson made a sexist comment during Argentina's win against Switzerland on Tuesday.

The former Liverpool and Republic of Ireland defender said that Swiss striker Josip Drmic "should have put a skirt on" after his weak chipped effort when one-on-one went straight into the hands of Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero.

The BBC said: "We acknowledge that the remark by commentator Mark Lawrenson about Switzerland's Josip Drmic was inappropriate and we apologise for any offence caused by it."

Broadcasting watchdog OfCom also received six complaints, but has not yet decide whether to formally investigate.

The BBC have come in for some strong criticism during the tournament, with co-commentator Phil Neville widely ridiculed for his commentary during England's defeat against Italy and perceived bias as Brazil beat Chile via a penalty shoot-out.

I'm surprised he's even on.. The BBC received several complaints about a comment he made during the Swiss/Argies game

World Cup 2014: BBC receive 172 complaints after Mark Lawrenson made a 'sexist' comment during Argentina vs Switzerland
Mark-Lawrenson.jpg

BBC have subsequently apologised for the co-commentators words

The BBC received 172 viewer complaints after Mark Lawrenson made a sexist comment during Argentina's win against Switzerland on Tuesday.

The former Liverpool and Republic of Ireland defender said that Swiss striker Josip Drmic "should have put a skirt on" after his weak chipped effort when one-on-one went straight into the hands of Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero.

The BBC said: "We acknowledge that the remark by commentator Mark Lawrenson about Switzerland's Josip Drmic was inappropriate and we apologise for any offence caused by it."

Broadcasting watchdog OfCom also received six complaints, but has not yet decide whether to formally investigate.

The BBC have come in for some strong criticism during the tournament, with co-commentator Phil Neville widely ridiculed for his commentary during England's defeat against Italy and perceived bias as Brazil beat Chile via a penalty shoot-out.
I'm more worried about the people that he has killed through boredom. This so far has been a pretty good game but all I can think about is how everything Mark Lawerenson says makes me want to go on a murderous rampage.

World Cup quarter final.
One of the biggest games in football, two of the most glorious footballing nations and we're subjected to 45 minutes of, "im not sure about this lino" and 30 seconds of "pass to Valbuena." I have no problem with robot wars, he's not there to be a football analysist, he's there to be a broadcaster and elaborate off what Lawrenson gives him, unfortunately for us Lawrenson isn't a giver.

France have been rather shit apart from a couple of bursts. They look like they're going to concede every time germany move forward and they cannot retain posession. I know he's a striker but geez benzema can be selfish, not someone id want to play up front with and griezeman has been either shit or he's overrated-has not done very much at all during this world cup (in the games that i have watched)

Back
Top Bottom