World cup 2022 scouting

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Senegal have a decent young central midfielder in their team.

Only 20 years old and has over 2000 minutes played in Ligue 1. One to look out for.

Though I assume we'd probably ruin his development like we do with a fair few youngsters and keep him in our squad without giving him any game time or loans. So a bit pointless really.

Senegal have a decent young central midfielder in their team.

Only 20 years old and has over 2000 minutes played in Ligue 1. One to look out for.

Though I assume we'd probably ruin his development like we do with a fair few youngsters and keep him in our squad without giving him any game time or loans. So a bit pointless really.
i hate the way we treat our talented youngsters. Sarr and Gil will go the same way as Foyth. They’ll not be given any opportunities, or given the odd game and be expected to be up to speed within 20 minutes, maligned for being too slight for the premier league and then they’ll move somewhere else and be given regular playing time and have successful careers and we’ll tell ourselves that it certainly wasn’t our fault and that they needed a slower less physical league rather than just regular minutes.

We are dumb as fuck as a club.

i hate the way we treat our talented youngsters. Sarr and Gil will go the same way as Foyth. They’ll not be given any opportunities, or given the odd game and be expected to be up to speed within 20 minutes, maligned for being too slight for the premier league and then they’ll move somewhere else and be given regular playing time and have successful careers and we’ll tell ourselves that it certainly wasn’t our fault and that they needed a slower less physical league rather than just regular minutes.

Every single promising youngster we have in our team has stagnated since the summer. Sarr. Devine. Gil just to name three promising ones.

Because as a club we haven't got a clue when it comes to development. It's sad to see really.

If young players haven't got a path way into this first team then send them on loan to go and get minutes. Why did we send Scarlett out on loan and not Devine (who's a better talent)?

I'm pleased we didn't sign the likes of Kvara when linked. We'd only have ruined his development too.

Last edited:
i hate the way we treat our talented youngsters. Sarr and Gil will go the same way as Foyth. They’ll not be given any opportunities, or given the odd game and be expected to be up to speed within 20 minutes, maligned for being too slight for the premier league and then they’ll move somewhere else and be given regular playing time and have successful careers

I share the frustration, but a run of games isn't really feasible for the level we aspire to...... When you get your chance, you need to grab it with both hands and in the meantime slog it out to impress in training.

(Yeh, people still look towards BVB as the example, but when you're nailed on for top 4 every season the dynamic is completely different and this in turn means all he hot young prospects wanna play for you too.)

Foyth is no massive loss.... He'd just be one that peeps wanted moved on at this point.

and we’ll tell ourselves that it certainly wasn’t our fault and that they needed a slower less physical league rather than just regular minutes.

.....Thats just fan rationale; that's not the club being dumb.

I share the frustration, but a run of games isn't really feasible for the level we aspire to...... When you get your chance, you need to grab it with both hands and in the meantime slog it out to impress in training.

(Yeh, people still look towards BVB as the example, but when you're nailed on for top 4 every season the dynamic is completely different and this in turn means all he hot young prospects wanna play for you too.)

Foyth is no massive loss.... He'd just be one that peeps wanted moved on at this point.

.....Thats just fan rationale; that's not the club being dumb.
We disagree on that. Playing young players is an investment. It’s an investment in their talent (ie their talent will grow with playing time) and it’s an investment in their financial worth.

Are all talented young players worth it? No. But those who are extremely highly rated and have shown an ability to play in a top 5 league as an U21 deserve that investment.

We could do it. Conte (and his predecessors) is making a strategic choice not to.

Could we have started with Sarr, Gil and Spence against Forest? Yes. Would we have lost anything by doing so? No.

Does Spence have a higher upside than Emerson? Yes. Could we play him more often without losing too much? Yes.

Have we been short in the forward positions so far this season? Yes. Could Gil have been given more time to play? Yes.

Sarr is a bit harder (and the need is less great) but I’d argue starting him once every 7/8 games and giving him 15 minute cameos is possible.

We did that in the past with Alli and Modric and it was well worth it despite some teething issues.

The reason we are not doing this is because of a short term view of success which actually inhibits our long term success. It’s also a symptom of a strategic disconnect in the club between the types of players they will buy (for 15-25m each) and the expectations of the manager. That’s a leadership problem.

We disagree on that. Playing young players is an investment. It’s an investment in their talent (ie their talent will grow with playing time) and it’s an investment in their financial worth.

Are all talented young players worth it? No. But those who are extremely highly rated and have shown an ability to play in a top 5 league as an U21 deserve that investment.

We could do it. Conte (and his predecessors) is making a strategic choice not to.

Could we have started with Sarr, Gil and Spence against Forest? Yes. Would we have lost anything by doing so? No.

Does Spence have a higher upside than Emerson? Yes. Could we play him more often without losing too much? Yes.

Have we been short in the forward positions so far this season? Yes. Could Gil have been given more time to play? Yes.

Sarr is a bit harder (and the need is less great) but I’d argue starting him once every 7/8 games and giving him 15 minute cameos is possible.

We did that in the past with Alli and Modric and it was well worth it despite some teething issues.

The reason we are not doing this is because of a short term view of success which actually inhibits our long term success. It’s also a symptom of a strategic disconnect in the club between the types of players they will buy (for 15-25m each) and the expectations of the manager. That’s a leadership problem.

Great post

Modric is a veritable lifetime away now..... We were a very different club back then (I'd be curious if you could recall whom he was played at the expense of.... Myself, I can't recall).

Spence v Emerson isn't a young v old thing (they've less than 6 months apart in age).... It's a case of Conte having a preference for what he sees/seeks in that position.

Gil: Conte obv preferred to go 352 rather than rely on a player who's still failing to eleviate his concerns on the training field (also see Spence).

Without wanting to do a deep case study for each player you mentioned; again, I am just as frustrated as you, but for the best part, the niche we currently occupy doesn't afford us that kind of patience. Classic conflict of theory vs practice; not a mere "disconnect" (as you describe it). You honestly think fans would have just choked down lost points each week and dropped league positions whilst Foyth (eg) clocked up red cards and fatal errors each week in hope that in 6/12 months things would click?

Besides, most of what you listed still doesn't constitute a 'run' in the team.... Just a one-off opp that a player needs to grab (which is exactly what my first post said)......

Modric is a veritable lifetime away now..... We were a very different club back then (I'd be curious if you could recall whom he was played at the expense of.... Myself, I can't recall).

Spence v Emerson isn't a young v old thing (they've less than 6 months apart in age).... It's a case of Conte having a preference for what he sees/seeks in that position.

Gil: Conte obv preferred to go 352 rather than rely on a player who's still failing to eleviate his concerns on the training field (also see Spence).

Without wanting to do a deep case study for each player you mentioned; again, I am just as frustrated as you, but for the best part, the niche we currently occupy doesn't afford us that kind of patience. Classic conflict of theory vs practice; not a mere "disconnect" (as you describe it). You honestly think fans would have just choked down lost points each week and dropped league positions whilst Foyth (eg) clocked up red cards and fatal errors each week in hope that in 6/12 months things would click?

Besides, most of what you listed still doesn't constitute a 'run' in the team.... Just a one-off opp that a player needs to grab (which is exactly what my first post said)......

What niche do we currently occupy? Short term managers on big contracts & no future planning whilst still winning nothing?

Can we please occupy a different one?

Kane, Bale etc as well. These days we'd have fucked these two off when they didn't tear it up within 5 games.

Kane: Was a last resort measure and he hit the ground running > Opportunity seized.
Bale: We were in a very different position back then.....

Kane: Was a last resort measure and he hit the ground running > Opportunity seized.
Bale: We were in a very different position back then.....

Yeah Conte keeps playing Soldado or literally anyone else.

Great. So the much better situation we're in now has us playing less enjoyable football, still winning nothing & not developing world class talent because we're far too big for that now.

P R O G R E S S

What niche do we currently occupy?

Side stepping the necessary essay within which I assume you're more than aware of the the contributory factors anyway.

Expectation - Fan & Board.
Finance
League position
CL football
Being a club that can attract a level of player we aspire to,
Yadda yadda

Can we please occupy a different one?

Sure.... How far down the table are you prepared to drop.... How long are you prepared to spend being Crystal Palace?

Sure.... How far down the table are you prepared to drop.... How long are you prepared to spend being Crystal Palace?

Ergh. This horseshit is so beneath you.

We were developing players & playing attractive football when we had less resources & less pull to get top managers and were in and around the top 4. Now we can attract better talent, better coaches & have better facilities and we're gonna become Crystal Palace if we bother to develop young footballers?

Woolwich currently have an average squad age of 23.7 & are top.

Yeah Conte keeps playing Soldado or literally anyone else.

Great. So the much better situation we're in now has us playing less enjoyable football, still winning nothing & not developing world class talent because we're far too big for that now.

Wait; this is Conte or all our recent managers?

I'm confused cos the guy you call "The King" showed he didn't have much of a taste for developing KWP, Sanchez, Foyth, Onomah, N'jie, Edwards and a number of others.

Then again, who are all these stars that are slipping through the cracks anyway?

Or as per your prior examples and sentiment; why didn't Bale & Modrich and the similar patience HR gave Walker score us a trophy or two?

P R O G R E S S

Compared to any time since 18/19? Yep.... Sure has been. 👍

Ergh. This horseshit is so beneath you.

We were developing players & playing attractive football when we had less resources & less pull to get top managers and were in and around the top 4. Now we can attract better talent, better coaches & have better facilities and we're gonna become Crystal Palace if we bother to develop young footballers?

No. That's not been my sentiment at all..... You're being obtuce.

Back
Top Bottom