Work in progress (long)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

eanN17

Supporter
Work in progress

Being a Spurs fan is never easy, we use to say. We would all nod in agreement.
But really, when you look at the bigger picture, and you need to do that sometimes, are Spurs fans having a rough time?

In short, the answer is no. We think it's time for the cockerel to start crowing. Well, I think, like I did in the summer, that he soon will.

Our club is without doubt one of the biggest six clubs in the country currently. Of those six clubs we have had the longest journey building ourselves up, slowly, bit by bit, without having that oligarch or sheik to pay our next signings. For the last few years we have found ourselves in the top 5 of the Premier League and expectations have risen with it.

It's not too long ago we used to worry about whether Doherty would be our lone striker. What about hoping we wouldn't collect too many bookings so that we could have a shot in the UEFA-cup through the Fair-Play Draw. Now, a lot has changed.
We, as fans should stop feeling sorry for ourselves. If we are really honest about winning trophies this patient approach is what Spurs need. After Bale went in the summer we invested in new talent. It's a wise move from Spurs. For the same money that we sold the likes of Bale, Caulker, Dempsey and co we have upgraded the squad and the squad is now loaded with talent.

The upside of the summer is the fact that the squad is actually much better and will help us in the long run. The downside is of course is that it takes time. In the process of getting there you will have many disappointments. It's like a kid waiting for his Christmas presents. He doesn't know when he'll be able to enjoy all the shiny new toys, but he's fairly certain that he's getting some great presents and that he'll have loads of fun with them in the not too distant future. That sounds like most Spurs fans 2,5 months ago. Honest.

A little look at the talent that is at the Lane and which players have arrived since AVB came to the Club; Lloris, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue, Lamela, Chadli, Eriksen, Holtby, Soldado, Sigurdsson. On top of that Rose and Townsend have been recalled from their loans and are being eased into the first team and Kaboul and Sandro have had long term injuries. That's 16 players of which the most of them need more time to adjust. Many players from different league. It's a huge amount of players to get to move in the right direction, but the quality of the squad on top of what already was at the club gives us more than a hope that this will change. This is not about making excuses. These are obvious challenges on the way to being a top team.

How well are we doing with all this new talent then? If you ask the fans some are moaning, some are impatient, some have written us off already, some are worried it will never click. Well, you know what, we'll see. You can never tell when things are going to work out well for you in football. With the false dawns we have had, this could explain the insecurity. And Spurs certainly have important tasks ahead. We need to work out how to break down 10-men defences better, especially at home. We must also look at different ways of creating chances, from different situations; open play and set pieces. We need to learn how to switch the pace in attack, do the unexpected. We need to keep working hard in training on playing patterns, off the ball movement, timing runs, get to know each other etc. We must, at least in the league, score more goals. There are difficult work ahead. But these are all things I expect the team around AVB to work on with the players. To expect it all to explode in the most fantastic fashion at a frequent rate though, that is too soon. But you look at our neighbours down the road what can happen if you keep the team together. With the talent we have, the potential is frightening.

Frightening for other teams if you were wondering.

Listening to some fans you would almost believe we were struggling against relegation. We are under pressure from different angles, and as long as we are stumbling along that won't go away. The media have almost forgot that we had the world's most coveted player in our ranks last season, before that we lost the trio of Modric, Van der Vaart and King. This is a revolution, but as everyone with the slightest interest in history will know, transforming ideas into real life takes time. The revolution happened and now we need to stick to it.

We are seeing improvement in an aspect of the game that has little to do with the beautiful football we strive after at Spurs. We are building from the back. We have already had an amazing amount of clean sheets and there are more to come. If you don't let in goals you can't lose. There's a start. As boring as that sounds, those are helpful facts. That naturally leads to us Spurs fans being nervous about being the new boring Woolwich. Well, this defensive foundation that is being built at Spurs haven't exactly been like that for years, so no reason to worry about us winning the league with 38-0 in goal difference just yet.

And lastly, the entertainment value. It has been a bit lacking, but we support Spurs, and the fan that is claiming that they never have seen Spurs play boring football haven't been following Spurs for more than the last 5 minutes. At times this season, we have had the chance of looking into the crystal ball. The game vs Norwich, that first half vs Chelsea, the first half vs Everton and the second half vs Newcastle or the games vs Villa. Brilliant football was there to be seen, but we didn't always win those games, so the actual effect has been less than it would have been. We have won a lot without being brilliant, in fact being rather boring. I actually wonder what would have happened if we had scored twice vs Newcastle, which we easily could have done in a different game. I bet many would have been rather confused...

I am actually seeing big things ahead with so many players in our squad that can make us kick on. While I was feeling down after the game yesterday, I can't wait for this team to finally get going and I'm feeling absolutely confident they will.

COME ON YOU SPURS.:sandro:

Good post. No point in hiring AVB and having him bring in 100m worth of talent just to give him 2 months with them. We need to be prepared to support him for atleast another year. Questions and criticisms are always welcome, but calling for him out after 2 months with many new players is ridiculous.

Work in progress

Being a Spurs fan is never easy, we use to say. We would all nod in agreement.
But really, when you look at the bigger picture, and you need to do that sometimes, are Spurs fans having a rough time?

In short, the answer is no. We think it's time for the cockerel to start crowing. Well, I think, like I did in the summer, that he soon will.

Our club is without doubt one of the biggest six clubs in the country currently. Of those six clubs we have had the longest journey building ourselves up, slowly, bit by bit, without having that oligarch or sheik to pay our next signings. For the last few years we have found ourselves in the top 5 of the Premier League and expectations have risen with it.

It's not too long ago we used to worry about whether Doherty would be our lone striker. What about hoping we wouldn't collect too many bookings so that we could have a shot in the UEFA-cup through the Fair-Play Draw. Now, a lot has changed.
We, as fans should stop feeling sorry for ourselves. If we are really honest about winning trophies this patient approach is what Spurs need. After Bale went in the summer we invested in new talent. It's a wise move from Spurs. For the same money that we sold the likes of Bale, Caulker, Dempsey and co we have upgraded the squad and the squad is now loaded with talent.

The upside of the summer is the fact that the squad is actually much better and will help us in the long run. The downside is of course is that it takes time. In the process of getting there you will have many disappointments. It's like a kid waiting for his Christmas presents. He doesn't know when he'll be able to enjoy all the shiny new toys, but he's fairly certain that he's getting some great presents and that he'll have loads of fun with them in the not too distant future. That sounds like most Spurs fans 2,5 months ago. Honest.

A little look at the talent that is at the Lane and which players have arrived since AVB came to the Club; Lloris, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue, Lamela, Chadli, Eriksen, Holtby, Soldado, Sigurdsson. On top of that Rose and Townsend have been recalled from their loans and are being eased into the first team and Kaboul and Sandro have had long term injuries. That's 16 players of which the most of them need more time to adjust. Many players from different league. It's a huge amount of players to get to move in the right direction, but the quality of the squad on top of what already was at the club gives us more than a hope that this will change. This is not about making excuses. These are obvious challenges on the way to being a top team.

How well are we doing with all this new talent then? If you ask the fans some are moaning, some are impatient, some have written us off already, some are worried it will never click. Well, you know what, we'll see. You can never tell when things are going to work out well for you in football. With the false dawns we have had, this could explain the insecurity. And Spurs certainly have important tasks ahead. We need to work out how to break down 10-men defences better, especially at home. We must also look at different ways of creating chances, from different situations; open play and set pieces. We need to learn how to switch the pace in attack, do the unexpected. We need to keep working hard in training on playing patterns, off the ball movement, timing runs, get to know each other etc. We must, at least in the league, score more goals. There are difficult work ahead. But these are all things I expect the team around AVB to work on with the players. To expect it all to explode in the most fantastic fashion at a frequent rate though, that is too soon. But you look at our neighbours down the road what can happen if you keep the team together. With the talent we have, the potential is frightening.

Frightening for other teams if you were wondering.

Listening to some fans you would almost believe we were struggling against relegation. We are under pressure from different angles, and as long as we are stumbling along that won't go away. The media have almost forgot that we had the world's most coveted player in our ranks last season, before that we lost the trio of Modric, Van der Vaart and King. This is a revolution, but as everyone with the slightest interest in history will know, transforming ideas into real life takes time. The revolution happened and now we need to stick to it.

We are seeing improvement in an aspect of the game that has little to do with the beautiful football we strive after at Spurs. We are building from the back. We have already had an amazing amount of clean sheets and there are more to come. If you don't let in goals you can't lose. There's a start. As boring as that sounds, those are helpful facts. That naturally leads to us Spurs fans being nervous about being the new boring Woolwich. Well, this defensive foundation that is being built at Spurs haven't exactly been like that for years, so no reason to worry about us winning the league with 38-0 in goal difference just yet.

And lastly, the entertainment value. It has been a bit lacking, but we support Spurs, and the fan that is claiming that they never have seen Spurs play boring football haven't been following Spurs for more than the last 5 minutes. At times this season, we have had the chance of looking into the crystal ball. The game vs Norwich, that first half vs Chelsea, the first half vs Everton and the second half vs Newcastle or the games vs Villa. Brilliant football was there to be seen, but we didn't always win those games, so the actual effect has been less than it would have been. We have won a lot without being brilliant, in fact being rather boring. I actually wonder what would have happened if we had scored twice vs Newcastle, which we easily could have done in a different game. I bet many would have been rather confused...

I am actually seeing big things ahead with so many players in our squad that can make us kick on. While I was feeling down after the game yesterday, I can't wait for this team to finally get going and I'm feeling absolutely confident they will.

COME ON YOU SPURS.:sandro:
Well said Sir! We have possible the second strongest, and potentially, the most talented squad in all positions (after City) in the PL! And sure, potentially. But the talent is such, that we will see that potential turn into title contenders this season! Another striker added in the new year and at 33/1 for the title. If use, like me don't put a few quid (each way) on our club, you will be sorry!

Right now, at home, I,d like to see Lamala given a run of games, on the left, regardless off the performance in the initial few and you just have to hope that the uneducated plums on the terraces don't get on his case and give him a chance. Townesend on the right but driving towards the by-line more instead of cutting in. Eriksen much higher up the pitch, where his undoubted quality and vision will be better and quicker served for the very clever Soldado!
Pauliniho viewing and doing behind that line. Sandro the insurance. and when all fit Walker, Kaboul,Vert Rose.

Automatic CL Qualification! Europa Cup Winners! And in knowing this I support and except when things don't go as well as my pre-match run of the game! Be positive or be quiet!

COYS!!

100% agreed. We're not there yet but we will be in time. Just look at our top 4 competitors' starting line ups this past week.

Woolwich:
13/14 additions: 1 (2 including Flamini)
12/13 additions: 2
Pre 2012 players: 8

Chelsea:
13/14 additions: 2
12/13 additions: 3
Pre 2012 players: 6

Everton:
13/14 additions: 3
12/13 additions: 1
Pre 2012 players: 7

Liverpool:
Pre 2012 players: 7

Manchester City:
12/13 additions: 1
Pre 2012 players: 8

Manchester United:
13/14 additions: 0
Pre 2012 players: 9

Southampton:
Pre 2012 players: 6

Tottenham Hotspur:
13/14 additions: 5
Pre 2012 players: 3

We're still pretty much a brand new team, and yet we are 5 from the top, in the League Cup quarter final and progressing easily in Europe.

Are things really that bad?

I agree. It will take time for the new players to gel. However, my only concern is if we do not get in the top 4 this season and Real Madrid etc come sniffing for Hugo, Verts etc. As we all know, top 4 and CL footie is what most players are only interested in.

Woolwich:
13/14 additions: 1 (2 including Flamini)
12/13 additions: 2 Finished 4th
Pre 2012 players: 8 Finished 3rd

Chelsea:
12/13 additions: 3 Finished 3rd
Pre 2012 players: 6 Finished 6th

Everton:
13/14 additions: 3
12/13 additions: 1 Finished 6th
Pre 2012 players: 7 Finished 7th

Liverpool:
12/13 additions: 2 Finished 7th
Pre 2012 players: 7 Finished 8th

Manchester City:
12/13 additions: 1 Finished 2md
Pre 2012 players: 8 Finished 1st

Manchester United:
13/14 additions: 1 (You missed Fellaini)
12/13 additions: 2 Finished 1st
Pre 2012 players: 9 Finished 2nd

Southampton:
12/13 additions: 3 Finished 14th
Pre 2012 players: 6 Were promoted to the Premiership

Tottenham Hotspur:
13/14 additions: 5
12/13 additions: 3 Finished 5th
Pre 2012 players: 3 Finished 4th

I looked into final positions in the league and put them against the amount of signings posted before me. It doesn't seem that the amount of change in the team relates to the final positions, Look at both the Manchester Clubs for reference.

Of course you need time to gel, however, great managers and great players will bring success even out of form or (for lack of another term) out of gel. If you look at us we are building towards the right direction, changeovers don't happen over night, we are building a nice solid foundation to build further upon. Take a building for example, if the building doesn't have a good foundation it will fall easier to weather or natural occurences. AVB is doing the right thing, and by Xmas/New Year we will be firing on three of five cylinders and cracking in a few balls, maybe even passing it to Soldado by then.

Patients is the key for us fans, we are building to a bright future, and that brighter future is Lily White Bright.

Keep the faith.

I agree. It will take time for the new players to gel. However, my only concern is if we do not get in the top 4 this season and Real Madrid etc come sniffing for Hugo, Verts etc. As we all know, top 4 and CL footie is what most players are only interested in.

That is something we need to learn to live with as a club that is now attractive to sublime players. In our squad we now have many players that could easily be in the squads of the top 5 clubs in the world.

Rather that than being Hull City who have Livermore and Huddlestone as their two best players. No offense to them though..

That is something we need to learn to live with as a club that is now attractive to sublime players. In our squad we now have many players that could easily be in the squads of the top 5 clubs in the world.

Rather that than being Hull City who have Livermore and Huddlestone as their two best players. No offense to them though..
You know your problem eanN17! You have got to much commonsense! Like the posts!:thumbup:

No doubt that I have been encouraged by the process of the "the project" even though AVB has not disclosed the blueprint of the project.

I have supported the players identified in our squad renewal, Soldado, Paulinho, Eriksen, Lamela are quality players, yes the need time to gel... but... it has been 3 months, these same players excelled at previous clubs, would they gel better under a different style.

AVB is essentially playing the same style as last yr, defence has improved but attack - no. Can the goal difference be simply put down to the fact that the inverted system does not work unless you have "world class" players that score goals regardless of position. Put simply - Bale is the single difference. Townsend is exciting and full of promise is not able to score those critical goals. Gylfi a noted goal scorer is not getting the similar opportunities "inside" the 18 that he had a Swansea.
The striker role is no different to last year - ineffective. We blamed striker quality, Defoe, Adebayor not good enough.

Could it be the system and not the players ?

Could be a lot of things really, no doubt but an important thing remains and that is that it's way too early to conclude anything. There are always time to worry and discuss, which is why it's nice to have forums like this one.

I bet AVB is getting grey hair as we speak. The frustration we are having can probably be multiplied a 100-times..

I understand the frustration many have regarding our team, but look at the rest of the top teams and you can tell that they've all had their moments of bad football this season.
There will be better times for us this season than this week, that much I can promise you all.
I work a lot with depression in my daily job and I focus for myself, my patients and my colleagues that we always seek to see the bright spots in life. That doesn't mean ignoring the things that aren't working well, but being aware of them and sorting them out while being constructive when solving them helps.
Some hate the 'patience' line - and I understand that, because it's always there. But at the moment there is no other way. What can we do? Sack AVB and start from scratch? Let AVB work with what he's got and look at what has improved so far.

We can look at Harry's team that was seriously clicking after 3 years time before it went sour.
Now, we have got even better players, but we need to give them time to get to know each other, just like that old team did or Liverpool and Woolwich at the moment.

I understand the frustration many have regarding our team, but look at the rest of the top teams and you can tell that they've all had their moments of bad football this season.
There will be better times for us this season than this week, that much I can promise you all.
I work a lot with depression in my daily job and I focus for myself, my patients and my colleagues that we always seek to see the bright spots in life. That doesn't mean ignoring the things that aren't working well, but being aware of them and sorting them out while being constructive when solving them helps.
Some hate the 'patience' line - and I understand that, because it's always there. But at the moment there is no other way. What can we do? Sack AVB and start from scratch? Let AVB work with what he's got and look at what has improved so far.

We can look at Harry's team that was seriously clicking after 3 years time before it went sour.
Now, we have got even better players, but we need to give them time to get to know each other, just like that old team did or Liverpool and Woolwich at the moment.
To be fair I agree with you....
Except ur use of Liverpool is way off the map, Liverpool under Rogers have had the same amount of time to gel as avb's spurs...whilst arguably he hasnt signed as many 1st teamers he hasn't signed our level of quality ether...I think it's less about gelling and more about avb's tactics... Oh and in liverpools case having Suarez helps!!!

Our changes this summer were rather drastic, Pool's biggest changes came last January.

Keep Suarez and lose Bale. They still have their main man while our new potential huge stars are starting to find their feet in the Premier League.
If we had kept Bale and bought say 3-4 of the 7 new lads we would probably be up there with Woolwich now, or even first alone. Now, it's not the time to judge Liverpool vs Spurs. They're out of the league cup, not in Europe, yet they are "flying" but only three points ahead. Looking better when get fluid, but I think we will too when we get going properly.

Im worried Vertonghen will leave anyway if he continues to be played LB, where he has stated twice now he dislikes.

He turned down Woolwich to play CB here

Back
Top Bottom