Will the FA rescind Son's red card after the statement they made?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will the FA rescind Son's red card?

• Yes

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 85 75.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When will we find out a) if we appealed and b) if it was rescinded?

Hope Sonny's not punishing himself too much.

And it says on BBC that Gomes should make a full recovery which is brilliant if true.

I think that's the clearest view of the tackle and absolutely should be all the FA needs to view to determine that this was never a red card. I personally don't think it's a yellow, but sure, a yellow is acceptable. It's a rather routine foul though with a completely non-routine outcome.

I'm happy to concede the yellow on the basis of 'tactical fouling', but the physicality of the challenge itself is no big deal in IMO.

So we did appeal the red card

Wonder when we'll find out.

Thursday/Friday I'm guessing.

No impact on the CL fixture in the meantime.

I'm not holding my breath given they've already spoken out to condone the original decision... We're probably just appealing on broader principal tbh.

Lower than 20% chance to overturn their decision I would say. It wasn’t a red card tackle but judging from Son’s reaction alone, he’s gonna need some time off. He’s not going to show up on next game with a big smile on his face obviously.

Thursday/Friday I'm guessing.

No impact on the CL fixture in the meantime.

I'm not holding my breath given they've already spoken out to condone the original decision... We're probably just appealing on principal tbh.
It would be good if they decided one way or another sharpish.

Son's state of mind will be shot to pieces but if it gets rescinded then maybe he won't punish himself as much.

He's going to feel awful about it either way.

I''m not sure he'll play Wednesday

It would be good if they decided one way or another sharpish.

Son's state of mind will be shot to pieces but if it gets rescinded then maybe he won't punish himself as much.

He's going to feel awful about it either way.

I''m not sure he'll play Wednesday

Yeh, anything to help alleviate a degree of the stress is worth it, but I'll be shocked if we see him for a week or so regardless.

I think it's about time the entire referee and governing bodies were investigated.

There is no consistency, they're not interested in correcting mistakes, they just want to protect each other at all costs.

"The red card for Son was for endangering the safety of a player, which happened as a consequence of his initial challenge."

Isnt it amazing how this isnt applied in retrospect for the elbow to Sons face a minute earlier that could have permanantly blinded him if not for a cm or two and some luck..?

But clip someones ankles, and his studs get caught in the grass and the "initial challenge" put Gomez safety in danger.
So every foul should be a sending off then?

The ref had a yellow card in his hand but changed it to a red in just about 5 seconds or so when he saw the outrage of the players around him. So i think var had no time to get involved and when the red card was given to son they thought we better stay out of this. I voted yes just because i hope they correct a wrong decision for once👏
I really don’t think the change from yellow to red was that quick. From what I recall he held up the yellow in the regular way, time passed and then bang here is the red. I don’t think I have the game on Sky Q so can’t watch it back and time it and confirm if my recall is correct - does anyone else ?

still whatever they do, we don’t get our two points and that monkey off our backs do we ?

I really don’t think the change from yellow to red was that quick. From what I recall he held up the yellow in the regular way, time passed and then bang here is the red. I don’t think I have the game on Sky Q so can’t watch it back and time it and confirm if my recall is correct - does anyone else ?

still whatever they do, we don’t get our two points and that monkey off our backs do we ?

Yellow came out.... Ref looked at Gomez.. Consoled Sonny... Crowd gathered... Red shown.

Last edited:
So does the ref now get a 3 match ban? What does it say for VAR? Surely the point of it is to overturn these wrong decisions before it costs a team 2 points?

I’m glad they corrected it but Martin Atkinson is still a huge asshole who cost us 2 points (much more valuable than Son avoiding a ban) and should be booed mercilessly by Spurs supporters from now until eternity.

Back
Top Bottom