Will the FA rescind Son's red card after the statement they made?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will the FA rescind Son's red card?

• Yes

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 85 75.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sets players up for getting opposition players sent off ... get fouled, feign injury the EPL and FA have now confirmed that's a red cared (unless you're a dipper) lunatics running the asylum what could go wrong?
Agree. Can see now why players roll around simulating an injury under minimal contact. Clearly gets a retaliation from the referee/influences their decision.

They won't rescind it but the logic they've used to justify it opens a can of worms. I've seen players get nudged in the air by a defender, come down with their foot planted and torn an ACL, is that a red card too? Is a nudge endangering an opponent? Sanchez gave Gomes a bump in the chest and he stayed down winded for a minute, is that endangering an opponent? If you take a free kick and hit somebody in the balls, is that endangering an opponent? What about when Gomes caught Son in the face with his arm and drew blood? Every contact between opponents is theoretically endangering an opponent.

It sums up our refereeing nicely that VAR, something which many of us have wanted for years, has actually made the standard of our officiating worse. This whole clear and obvious thing is such bullshit. Either you say it has to be clear and obvious, in which case you watch the replay once or twice and give/don't give instantly or you don't use clear and obvious and you just get the VAR ref to give the major decisions.

Here's the thing, if the ref gives the challenge on Son and the handball on Dele both as penalties, VAR would not overturn either. We're at a state where we don't get the correct decisions, we just get complete protection of referees.

If I were a ref I would be saying "Look I'm only human, I want VAR to overturn my decision if I got it wrong" as opposed to seemingly what we have now which is the refs are always right.

Yes it will be rescinded, otherwise the Premier League set a very dangerous precedent for themselves.

Will a trip automatically be a red card if the player suffers an injury?

Does the severity of the injury influence the card shown?
...and what if a challenge gets a red, but then it turns out the player isn't as badly injured as first thought...
Would they have to bring the punished player back on??

I hope they will correct the decision as will but I don't think they will.

What do you think?
i dont think they will overturn a var decision because that would mean big trouble in the feature for the fa, but if var didnt get involved it should be overturned. Attkinsons decision was lead by the reaction of the players around him i think. It is not often seen that a ref changes a yellow to a red and it turns out to be the wrong decision so this is an interesting case. No idea how this ends🙃

It's confirmed now that VAR gave the red not Atkinson so no they won't. Would mean them admitting that VAR is a flawed system, and is just as open to making mistakes as a ref is

That's contrary to the statement released last night.... Got a link?

It sums up our refereeing nicely that VAR, something which many of us have wanted for years, has actually made the standard of our officiating worse. This whole clear and obvious thing is such bullshit. Either you say it has to be clear and obvious, in which case you watch the replay once or twice and give/don't give instantly or you don't use clear and obvious and you just get the VAR ref to give the major decisions.

Here's the thing, if the ref gives the challenge on Son and the handball on Dele both as penalties, VAR would not overturn either. We're at a state where we don't get the correct decisions, we just get complete protection of referees.

If I were a ref I would be saying "Look I'm only human, I want VAR to overturn my decision if I got it wrong" as opposed to seemingly what we have now which is the refs are always right.

All they need to do is give the authority back to the referee on the pitch. The system worked just fine in the CL last season when the referees were advised to look at the monitor and decide for themselves whether they made a mistake. What we have in the PL is a system where there are two referees, which means two different applications of the law. Referees are not being told to look at the monitor and are just being told by a different referee that they made a mistake. Apart from offside the people in the VAR room should just tell the referee whether he needs to look at the replay or not. If they don't think it's a clear error then tell him to play on. If he looks at the monitor and adjusts his decision, fair enough.

Then at least we don't get this stupid shit where everyone in the stadium, including the referee, is waiting for someone 200 miles away to make a decision. Let the match referee decide and show the image on the stadium big screen while the check is happening.

All they need to do is give the authority back to the referee on the pitch. The system worked just fine in the CL last season when the referees were advised to look at the monitor and decide for themselves whether they made a mistake. What we have in the PL is a system where there are two referees, which means two different applications of the law. Referees are not being told to look at the monitor and are just being told by a different referee that they made a mistake. Apart from offside the people in the VAR room should just tell the referee whether he needs to look at the replay or not. If they don't think it's a clear error then tell him to play on. If he looks at the monitor and adjusts his decision, fair enough.

Then at least we don't get this stupid shit where everyone in the stadium, including the referee, is waiting for someone 200 miles away to make a decision. Let the match referee decide and show the image on the stadium big screen while the check is happening.

I don't disagree that it would work better like that but I do feel it takes too long. The handball on Llorente for example, ref didn't have a clue even after looking at the VAR plus I feel that refs are more likely to look at reasons to justify their original decision than give a more fair call that you'd get from a fresh perspective.

I don't disagree that it would work better like that but I do feel it takes too long. The handball on Llorente for example, ref didn't have a clue even after looking at the VAR plus I feel that refs are more likely to look at reasons to justify their original decision than give a more fair call that you'd get from a fresh perspective.

At least we are still getting one referee's opinion. What we have now is a joke because referees are giving or not giving things that they may not agree with if they actually saw the replay for themselves.

I believe that referees want to make the right decisions and we have seen many referees change their minds after using the pitchside monitor. No reason not to use that system in the PL.

it's the type of tackle you see 50 times in a game, sometimes a player will win the ball, sometimes not. It wasn't the tackle that caused the injury but the way the player fell.
If they don't rescind the red, I can't wait for the rest of the season as I hope all referees will be consistent.

It's gonna be fun seeing 2 vs 1 in the last 10 minutes.

Apparently it didn't go to VAR!!!

Which yes, is a fuck-up in its self because all Reds should go to VAR to be checked for player identification.

So it was down to that douche Atkinson then?

At least in Llorente's case, it was the right outcome and the goal was correctly given.

Although this season, Llorente's goal would be disallowed.

Back
Top Bottom