Whose Spurs shirt would you torch?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am loving the insane reaction of the Gooners to RvP's leaving. Burned shirts, ludicrous banners now looking even more ludicrous, etc.

And then I started wondering if there's a similar player on our side that, if he left under similar circumstances, would provide as much historical :harryfacepalm: moments of overreaction (to the good or the bad). I mean, everyone seems resigned to Modrić's leaving, and I doubt anyone will burn his shirt for the internet.

Maybe it's just not in my personality to want to burn a shirt, but I can't think of a single player who would elicit that reaction from me or from anyone else here. Maybe we're all skeptics because of Sol, and so we don't give our hearts away so easily. But surely the Goons should've learned from Cashley (omg Piers's having a go at him last night was lollercopters). OTOH, they're such plastics that maybe it requires someone like Piers to remind them that Cashley used to play for the Woolworths.

I could imagine a player like Caulker possibly eliciting such a reaction, but only 5 years or so down the road, maybe.

I agree with you that I almost expect our big names to leave at some point, Bale for example. People like Daws, Lennon and Thudd leaving would surprise me but I wouldn't start losing the plot over it.

I would hate to lose Walker as well but it's not like he's been with us forever either and would be breaking any loyalty.

I can't burn anything with the Tottenham badge on, this is part of my reasoning for not really bothering with names on the back of my shirts.

Didn't some one hang an effigy of Campbell?

I personally wouldn't burn a shirt, that shit's gonna fuck up your lungs. But then the only name I ever had printed on the back of a shirt was Iversen :avbfacepalm:

Poi said:
I agree with you that I almost expect our big names to leave at some point, Bale for example.
It's like we know Spurs is the best team ever, but we don't hold it against dumb footballers who are blind to that (Modrić).

Thelonious said:
I can't burn anything with the Tottenham badge on, this is part of my reasoning for not really bothering with names on the back of my shirts.
That's exactly my reasoning. Have some rep.

I've have happily set fire to Campbell when he moved to the scum - if he was in a Spurs shirt at the time then so be it.

Nowadays I'd like to think that I'm not naive enough to think that any player is actually loyal to the club or fans.

That said, if Benny went to the gooners I'd probably pack in football altogether.

LLB Part Deux said:
I've have happily set fire to C**tbell when he moved to the scum - if he was in a Spurs shirt at the time then so be it.

Nowadays I'd like to think that I'm not naive enough to think that any player is actually loyal to the club or fans.

That said, if Benny went to the gooners I'd probably pack in football altogether.

Yeah I think that would rip my heart out. :vdvcry:

My shirt names have not been great and I've only had two of them.

I had Sherringham as a kid when he re-signed. Then he played shit and went to Pompey and West Ham. And I also had Luka when he signed (after supporting Croatia in Euro 2008). Long-sleeved dark navy Mansion away kit with Chinese lettering and Premier League badges. Still such a good shirt, I've even worn it to 5-a-side recently. But why oh why did I get the cunt on the back of it it, he seemed like such a modest, hard working fellow at the time.

If he had went to Chelski last season or refused to play I probably would have burnt it or ripped it and chucked it away. But alas, he is parting ways overseas for a handsome sum as the rest of my Croatian lovers sail away.

I have learnt my lesson and it is time to move on (hope he drowns).

I'll just add ic on the end of the name and pretend it's a new croation player we've signed, so if (touch wood he doesn't) BAE left, i'll just change it to Assou-Ekottoic or for Bale there is Baleic or my personal favourite is Kaboulic. I understand that it won't work with Modric, which in that case we can just call it a lesson learned

When keano left I didn't burn my shirts just took to the charity shop then the fucker returned 6 months later :x

I used to always have my "We Are Tottenham" book sitting out with the cover of Keano doing a cartwheel (great book and cover). I remember walking past it one day thinking about it being the only Spurs player memorabilia I had that I was still proud of looking at. And then he fucked off, which was a bit of a knife to the groin.

But worse than that he came back and Harry took the club captaincy of Ledders and gave it to him. I probably would have burned his shirt, I couldn't stand him waving his arms about everywhere towards the end.

Dru said:
The last name on the back of a Spurs shirt I had was Sheringham

Same here. Also had the purple/black away shirt with Klinsmann on.

Could never burn a spurs shirt though. How about we cut the back off and burn that? You could have a spurs apron.

Back
Top Bottom