White Hart Lane station name change

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not surprised really, it’s a brand new stadium for things more than just football, not a refurbishment. Paxton Road is gone. The train main station entrance is also moving from White Hart Lane itself, it will have a direct pathway to the new gaff IIRC. Also when you pass by the area through that train line (I take it occasionally) the stadium completely dominates the skyline and area in the way the old ground just didn’t. The club want it to be a landmark 24/7, 365.

Gillespie Road, Wembley Hill, these were stations once upon a time as well. My main feeling is that I’m glad that Spurs are still going to be in Tottenham N17, all this other stuff is just cosmetic griping. We are still home.

Yeah, saw this last night. It's an odd one tbh, as White Hart Lane is already synonymous with the club - so the cynic in me wonders this is about 'debranding' WHL as a new stadium name and sponsor comes in.

Posted this on the stadium thread.

Will 'White Hart Lane' be gone forever from Tottenham?

Stadium will be the XYZ Tottenham Stadium and the nearest station will be renamed. I know the fans will call it WHL but the media won't I don't think.

I think it's quite sad to be honest.

For me, this is an example of us over thinking the potential commercial benefits of a rename, especially around stadium sponsorship.

Burying WHL as purely history is not right. I love the unique name. It rekindles the feelings and emotions of the excitement and anticipation from my first visits.

The XXX arena or stadium at White Hart Lane would still be a hugely lucrative asset, and would gain additional goodwill from supporters.

Will never forget my first time going to a Spurs match and the excitement I remember feeling when the train announcement said, "the next station is: White Hart Lane." Pure goosebumps!
"Tottenham Hotspur" will be pretty damn cool as well, but don't think anything will beat the Lane...

Just as Woolwich have a station named after the club — aptly dubbed Woolwich — so too will Tottenham. After much pressure from the club, Overground station White Hart Lane looks set to be renamed Tottenham Hotspur.

According to The Guardian, Spurs are acting as if the name change is a done deal, whereas TfL says its still subject to a consultation. Is it just us who foresee a lot of prankster Woolwich and Chelsea fans writing all manner of complaints into the consultation to try and throw a spanner in the works?

White Hart Lane Station To Be Renamed Tottenham Hotspur
Surely if other fans complain it doesn't change then it remains White Hart Lane. A good result! :adethumbup:

Will always be "the Lane" to me because as a small boy every other Saturday my dad said goodbye with a "see you later son I'm off down the Lane." So it was and always will be "the Lane" to me. Bit sad to see the White Hart Lane go but that's progress and over time the Lane will disappear totally but will always be in the history of the club.

Never lived in London or been there, but for nostalgia reasons, would prefer the station to stay as "White Hart Lane". In the end of it all, we will always relate Tottenham to The Lane and The Lane to Tottenham.

Gentleman Spur

Silly Arse
Just as Woolwich have a station named after the club — aptly dubbed Woolwich — so too will Tottenham. After much pressure from the club, Overground station White Hart Lane looks set to be renamed Tottenham Hotspur.

According to The Guardian, Spurs are acting as if the name change is a done deal, whereas TfL says its still subject to a consultation. Is it just us who foresee a lot of prankster Woolwich and Chelsea fans writing all manner of complaints into the consultation to try and throw a spanner in the works?

White Hart Lane Station To Be Renamed Tottenham Hotspur

For me, this is an example of us over thinking the potential commercial benefits of a rename, especially around stadium sponsorship.

Burying WHL as purely history is not right. I love the unique name. It rekindles the feelings and emotions of the excitement and anticipation from my first visits.

The XXX arena or stadium at White Hart Lane would still be a hugely lucrative asset, and would gain additional goodwill from supporters.

If you're a multi million sponsor and you're forking out silly money for naming rights, really you'd want control of what that stadium is called completely. The nostalgic romantic in me would love the White Hart Lane name attached to the new place but a blank canvas for any sponsor to choose from automatically increases our potential revenue streams.

Apart from St James Park, I can't think of many new stadiums built that have kept elements of the clubs original grounds name, even if it's been built a little further away from the original grounds to where ours is.

It makes sense for the club to play it safe on this one, even if the heartstrings say otherwise

Back
Top Bottom