Which players need to go?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Part of me thinks We would be foolish to write of Ndombele already, the other part thinks he has used this isolation period to let himself go even more :mourfacepalm:

Bring back Kane and son, watch the lift...
Except that no matter how many goals they might score, our sieve at the back will give away more. Jose has to start at the back and fix the holes there .
It's not a question of winning games, it's more a question of not giving them away. We have to start by plugging the holes.

If I'm looking at the squad there is so much crap, that I think you can't get rid of it all immediately I would sort it into three categories.

Must Keep
Sanchez: Still forget how young he is, our best defender now IMO

Son: No need to explain, our best player

Winks: I know some don't like him but is an excellent squad player, don't think he should be a starter, bleeds this club and we haven't got too many homegrown good players right now so helps with squad restrictions

Kane: I actually don't think losing him would be as disastrous as it once was, we'd get a shit tonne of money to revamp a squad that really needs it, but it is more for the message that sends as a club, think would really hurt our mentality more than anything

Lo Celso: Apart from the fact we kind of have to, his improvement since Jose came in has been one of the few positive things about this season, no-brainer

Sessegnon: Decent young English player, wouldn't make sense to sell now

Bergwijn: Surprised me with his quality since he came in, shame about the timing of his injury because I don't think he will be a regular in the long run so would have been key for him to have a run in the team until the end of the season.

Skipp: Still only 19, no point getting rid of him yet

Davies: Perfect back up left back for me, but needs someone in front of him

Tanganga: Another bright spot about this season, good to see a young kid take his chance

Sell in due time, or if the offer is right
Lloris: I think people are being a bit harsh on him, but he is often a liability right now, in saying that we have so much to get rid off you don't want to do too much at the same time.

Alderweireld: Definitely first choice any more, but I think keeping him at the club is important cause he still shows his quality every now and again.

Dele: Hardest one to call in the club, there surely is still a good player in there too, he showed it for a bit when Jose came in. I think he is trying too hard, I think I would ask for 80-100m considering he's English, anything else persist with him.

Gazzaniga: Good enough to be a back up IMO

Lucas: Is a decent squaddie, but definitely our most overrated player, wouldn't look to sell him immediately but hope he is not starting the majority of our games next season

Ndombele: Had he been here for a bit longer I would say get rid, you can tell he could be such a good player but he needs to buckle down to do it any I'm not sure he seems like he has the character and more importantly I don't think Jose is the type of coach to help him do it.

Gedson: How are we going to get the opportunity to know he is going to be good enough by the end of next season? If he isn't good enough by then there is no point paying all that cash so I can't see us extending that deal personally.

Get rid
Vertonghen: Club legend, but not good enough anymore. Too slow and in a defence that is in desperate need of reconstruction, he is one of the first rooms that needs to be knocked down.

Lamela: Every time I watch him play I think 'fuck I love this guy'. He just gets it and works his socks off BUT he is injured too often and is clogging up the squad, can't rely on him, think he is one where it is probably better just cut or losses

Vorm: Probably a bit harsh, although was shocked he played over Gazza against Norwich, having two foreign back up keepers is a complete waste.

Dier: The fact he is now being viewed as one of our better players shows how shit we are currently, in midfield he is horrendous. Centre back he can do a job but if we can a good fee for him which I think we could we should look to sell.

Sissoko: Wasn't sure on this one, but I think he might struggle to come back from this injury, he has had a lot recently, 30 years old now and is a player that relies on his physicality, wouldn't say no to keeping him.

Foyth: Partly because it's clear Jose doesn't rate him, I STILL don't really know what to make of him all this time later.

Aurier: He's shit, hate watching him play.
I'm not sure you're not watching the same team in Australia as we are here. Sanchez is a waste of space
It would be disastrous to lose Harry.
Haven't yet seen Sess do anything that makes him an asset to the club.
Toby I love but his legs have gone.
Etc etc.
We need to overhaul 50-to 70% of our players. It sounds harsh I know but we as fans and supporters need to face reality. It's going to be a long haul and it's going to separate our hard line, long time supporters from the rest. I'm old enough that I may NEVER see a great Spurs again but I can enjoy a slow and exciting rebuild. Life teaches you that instant gratification is not an option for long term success. But we will be back. I personally don't think we can achieve anything under these owners but patience is one of my few virtues. COYS.

Should be a much shorter thread
Which players should stay?

but ok

Aurier
Winks
Skipp (sadly he ain’t going to make it)
Lamela
Toby
Jan
Dier
All three keepers

We must appoint a decent DOF
Winks
Aurier
Davies
Jan
Foyth
Lamela
Rose – pretty much done
Gazzaniga
Vorm

Willing to give Dier one more chance under Jose and Toby has a season left in him, imv.

Well, we haven't won a game for over a month now, so they ALL need to go...

Then again, we're unbeaten in a month, so let's give them a chance...

Football/no football, eh?

Imagine a very optimistic scenario in which we are able to sign four players: a central defender, a right-back, a defensive midfielder and a (second) striker. With that in mind:

I'd keep all the goalkeepers for now.

Defenders: Davies, Tanganga, Toby, Sanchez and Aurier. Eric Dier can be used in midfield, but I think he should settle as our fourth or fifth central defender; I'd keep him as well.

Out: Jan Vertonghen, Danny Rose, Juan Foyth and Kyle Walker-Peters (loan).

In midfield: Winks, Skipp, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Gedson and Dele Ali;

I honestly don't know what to think about Ndombele. From a logical point of view, it would make sense to insist on him. He obviously has the talent. But his position is a vital one and his behavior so far indicates that he just doesn't care enough. Speaking with my heart, I'd sell him if he gets a good offer.

And then there's Lamela. Love him as a player (and as a character as well) but he's never available. If he gets a good offer, I'd sell him too.

Wingers/Strikers: Son, Lucas, Bergwijn, Sessegnon, Kane and Parrot. I'd keep all of them and I think Tottenham will do the same. But if one should go to make funds for transfers, it would be Lucas.

Last edited:
Who I think realistically could go in the morning without affecting squad quality:
Lloris
KWP
Aurier
Jan
Davies
Rose
Dier
Sissoko
Lamela

Who I think actually will go in the next window(s)
KWP
Jan
Foyth (will be a big mistake)
Rose

Everyone else will probably stay. We’re going to have a real hard time shifting the deadwood we have. Players who have been here for season after season after season not cutting it it but are continuously given chance after chance.

Part of me thinks We would be foolish to write of Ndombele already, the other part thinks he has used this isolation period to let himself go even more :mourfacepalm:
After all this is over Jose will walk back in to the Lodge to a disgusting menagerie of scum and villainy, and a haunting laugh.

Who I think realistically could go in the morning without affecting squad quality:
Lloris
KWP
Aurier
Jan
Davies
Rose
Dier
Sissoko
Lamela

Who I think actually will go in the next window(s)
KWP
Jan
Foyth (will be a big mistake)
Rose

Everyone else will probably stay. We’re going to have a real hard time shifting the deadwood we have. Players who have been here for season after season after season not cutting it it but are continuously given chance after chance.
Why do you think Foyth would be a big mistake?

Why do you think Foyth would be a big mistake?

TFC has him pegged as some sort of next level ball playing legend in the making centre half based on the fact he can dribble a little bit. The fact that he makes a fatal error every 2 games and hasn't been fancied by 2 managers despite the defence being shite without him is not relevant.

TFC has him pegged as some sort of next level ball playing legend in the making centre half based on the fact he can dribble a little bit. The fact that he makes a fatal error every 2 games and hasn't been fancied by 2 managers despite the defence being shite without him is not relevant.
Exactly - for me it's a no brainier - he's looked a massive calamity every single game out there. Appears it was some kind of pity / patriotic Poch signing or misinformed cheap scouting or both

Aurier needs to the first out of the door - the Heurelho Gomes of the right back world.

Rose, Vertonghen were gone anyway - Lloris may need to follow them but he may have one season left.

Its the defensive side that needs strengthening - our attack has a lot of talent and I would retain all of our summer signings,

Aurier needs to the first out of the door - the Heurelho Gomes of the right back world.

Rose, Vertonghen were gone anyway - Lloris may need to follow them but he may have one season left.

Its the defensive side that needs strengthening - our attack has a lot of talent and I would retain all of our summer signings,

Yep. We would look so much better with a stable steady eddy back four (with a defensive midfielder in front of it). Fortunately this won’t of escaped Mourinho. Fortunately for us, these type of defenders should be easier to find than players further forward. Mainly because they’re cheaper on the whole.

What two managers haven’t fancied him? If you’re trying to tell me Pochettino didn’t rate Foyth then you’ve got to be on a wind up.
For some reason Foyths mistakes and errors, even though they are actually rare enough compared to other players and could easily be put down to a lack of sharpness/game time, are more scrutinized than others.
Sanchez for example makes just as many if not more errors than Foyth yet never gets the same level of stick.

Back
Top Bottom