Which players do we absolutely need to keep in the summer?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck me. You are quoting goal.com and transfermarkt.com over actual Kaboul quotes as if they are some sort of official source.

:levystare: "Hi Younés, come in, sit down. Now, I've been doing some Googling, and it turns out the internet is right and you have lost a year of your contract. I'll need your locker cleared by 4.15"

...yeah, let's keep the whole team...that gets easily shatted upon by the top 4 - COYS!!!:) lol - NOT, we should only keep:

COYS
Yes, but they will improve next season. I'm all for depth, in 09/10, the best season in my memory our squad was huge, particularly if you remember who we had on loan:
Strikers: Crouch, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko, Gudjohnsen, Keane (loan) 5
Attacking midfielders: Lennon, Bentley, Kranjcar, Rose, Dos Santos (loan), Taarabt (loan) Townsend (loan) 7
Central Midfielders: Modric, Huddlestone, Palacios, Jenas, O'Hara (loan), Livermore (loan) 6
Left Backs: Assou-Ekotto, Bale 2
Right Backs: Corluka, Walker (loan), Hutton (loan), Naughton (loan) 4
Centre Backs: King, Dawson, Woodgate, Bassong, Kaboul, Caulker (loan) 6
Goal Keepers: Gomes, Cudicini, Alnwick 3

That is an overall squad size of 33
The advantage we had back then was we had people who appeared happy to sit on the bench, also no one was earning huge 6 figure sums a week.

At present:
Strikers: Soldado, Adebayor, Kane 3
Attacking Midfielders: Lennon, Townsend, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Siggurdson 6
Central Midfielders: Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue, Bentaleb, Holtby (loan) Carrol, Livermore 6
Left Backs: Rose, Fryers, Assou Ekotto (loan) 3
Right Backs: Walker, Naughton 2
Centre Backs: Dawson, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Chiriches 4
Goal Keepers: Lloris, Friedel (retiring), Gomes 3

That is an overall squad size of 29
Weirdly the only position we have improved upon is left back, while undoubtedly the quality has increased the numbers are not there, as shown at Benefica with our CB pairing. What we need are players who are on low wages, who are happy to bit parts, (remember Ryan Nelsen), though I guess Friedel is a good example.

My wish list, a new left back for the long term, last season I thought Danny Rose was good enough at Sunderland, injuries and performances have made me question that.
A new experienced centre back or a returning Caulker
Some old striker lying around somewhere, Pavlychenko (except he was on quite a lot)
An experience goal keeper, maybe we could bring Paul Robinson back
I would be happy if no one was sold, and we only spent 100k on wages overall, last summer, we actually reduced our wage bill. Impressive, but it certainly showed during March. Also I do understand about the 25 over 21 squad rule, I haven't forgotten

Do our best to keep:
Loris, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Sandro, Chriches, Ade, Walker.

Keep unless we get a good offer:
Verts, Demebele, Paulinho, Lamela, Chadli, Townsend, Capoue

Don't care if we sell:
Kaboul, Dawson, Lennon, Naughton, Rose, Soldado, Siggy

off course the youth players like Kane and old man Fridel we probably should keep as back up.

:levystare: "Hi Younés, come in, sit down. Now, I've been doing some Googling, and it turns out the internet is right and you have lost a year of your contract. I'll need your locker cleared by 4.15"

Look, I haven't heard Kaboul say anything himself, so the quote on your source is to me as unreliable as goal.com and transfermarkt (two sites that generally tend to be accurate).
Perhaps he does have a contract until summer 2015, since I haven't seen it myself I can't be certain.
All I know is that every list of player contract expiry dates I find online state that his contract ends June 2014.

Lol, so since then Kaboul has lost a year of his contract?

He is under contract until 2015. No doubt about it. Don't fall for dumb journalism.

"However, there seems to be conflicting information about whether Kaboul's contract actually ends this summer or in 2015"
http://www.football365.com/transfer-gossip/9244708/Wednesday-s-Gossip

-How can you be so sure that its 2015 when the good folks at Eurosport, football365, goal, transfermarkt, etc, etc all believe its 2014? It would be great if you were right about this though.

"However, there seems to be conflicting information about whether Kaboul's contract actually ends this summer or in 2015"
http://www.football365.com/transfer-gossip/9244708/Wednesday-s-Gossip

-How can you be so sure that its 2015 when the good folks at Eurosport, football365, goal, transfermarkt, etc, etc all believe its 2014? It would be great if you were right about this though.

Because Kaboul himself has been quoted saying it. None of the "Summer 2014" ones have this.

Even back before we signed Lloris, he was talking about a longer contract than he had (note, the date at the top was 'last updated', I think it originally applied to mid season making the 4 years make sense)

"I have four years remaining on my contract at Tottenham and, more importantly, I am happy here, and in England.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7973317/Kaboul-won-t-be-quitting-Spurs

Newspapers and website will be googling each other and making shit up from a failed april fools joke

Look, I haven't heard Kaboul say anything himself, so the quote on your source is to me as unreliable as goal.com and transfermarkt (two sites that generally tend to be accurate).
Perhaps he does have a contract until summer 2015, since I haven't seen it myself I can't be certain.
All I know is that every list of player contract expiry dates I find online state that his contract ends June 2014.

Unless you are you suggesting the quotes which supposedly came out of his mouth were made up I don't understand you.

Also transfermarkt says Danny Rose has a contract until 2016 yet the Spurs website says it's until 2015.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/danny-rose/profil/spieler_50174.html
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/duo-sign-contract-extensions-040711/

You'd thinks Spurs would mention a contract extension for Danny Rose at some point no?

Because Kaboul himself has been quoted saying it. None of the "Summer 2014" ones have this.

Even back before we signed Lloris, he was talking about a longer contract than he had (note, the date at the top was 'last updated', I think it originally applied to mid season making the 4 years make sense)

"I have four years remaining on my contract at Tottenham and, more importantly, I am happy here, and in England.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7973317/Kaboul-won-t-be-quitting-Spurs

Newspapers and website will be googling each other and making shit up from a failed april fools joke

The date stamp is correct if you google the quotes. He said he had 4 years left in August 2012. That's 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Only definitely keeps for me are:

Lloris
Chiriches
Walker (needs competition though)
Sandro
Eriksen
Soldado (can tell he wants to impress)
Lamela (potential...)

Paulinho Dembele Capoue Chadli Lennon Townsend Holtby Sigurdsson are all players I would consider letting go if we got decent money (of course not all of them)

As for Vertonghen, if he's going to be committed and the same player he was last year then he must stay if not then cash in on him. At least £20m I'd say for him in today's market.

The date stamp is correct if you google the quotes. He said he had 4 years left in August 2012. That's 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Ah I guess so. I had it as 2016 in my head based on 2012, but you are, as normal, correct on these contractual things

Unless you are you suggesting the quotes which supposedly came out of his mouth were made up I don't understand you.

Also transfermarkt says Danny Rose has a contract until 2016 yet the Spurs website says it's until 2015.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/danny-rose/profil/spieler_50174.html
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/duo-sign-contract-extensions-040711/

You'd thinks Spurs would mention a contract extension for Danny Rose at some point no?

Well, I bet you smell bad.
:troll:

I honestly dont give a damn.

Whoever wants to stay and play for Spurs can stay. Whoever wants to go can go. Ideally keep Lloris but he looks to be off and who can blame him?

Im past defending our summer flops and people that couldnt give a shit if they played for the club or not.

No word of a lie, Lloris & Eriksen are the only ones I care about staying.

I am disappointed in so many wanting Capoue gone. He's exactly what soft Spurs need.

Stay:
Capoue
Vert
Dembele
Erik
Eriksen
Ade
Walker
Kaboul (if he has a medical from hell and he is 100%. With games he can be a monster)
Benny (if he has a medical from hell and he is 100%. With games he can be a monster)
Chadli
Lloris
Bentaleb (as an AM)
Paulinho
Vlad (as a DM)
Sandro
Holtby (as a number 10)
Dawson (you sometimes need an old fashioned CB for dour parked busses who only score from set peices and corners)
Gomes (I still think he is good for backup, but I would not begrudge him leaving)

Strikers/forwards: Ade, Holtby, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli.
AM's: Lamela, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Dembele, Paulinho
DM's: Sandro, Capoue, Vlad (emergency DM's Vert)
CB: Daws, Vert, Kaboul, (emergency CB Vlad)
RB: Walker, buy (emergency RB Kaboul)
LB: Benny, buy, buy (emergency LB Vert)

A team shape of 4-2-3-1 fits our personnel so we will be deep with cover. No high line. Just COMPETITIVE. See if they can beat us, see if they can out muscle and out skill us. This way we win and lose on our own terms.

Gone:
Rose
Naughton
Lennon
Townsend
Brad
Kane
Fryers
Siggy (tough one but he's behind so many good players like Eriksen, Lamela etc)
Soldado (need to sell asap to get as much money back as possible. He does not have enough presence for me. I'd love to be proved wrong, and he is the one I would like to sell the least out of this bunch)

All of that money should be invested in british prospects and journeymen for cups etc and a seasoned/solid left back plus another one with potential. Another front man with presence should also be on the menu.

newcm.jpg

ive already come to terms with lloris going.
so I think its vital we keep:
walker
chiriches
eriksen
lamella
vertonghen ( if he sorts his attitude out )

and who we must sell!
gomes
naughton
rose
siggy
paulinho

Back
Top Bottom