Where do we keep going wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where did we go wrong? switch the fucking QPR and Liverpool game around next season before the international break and we wont get two weeks of this bollocks instead get some hopeful stuff!!!

:paulinhofacepalm:

This thread has unlimited potential...

bullshit_detector4.gif

Despite their fans being the usual mindless cunts, Liverpool happen to be in quite good shape on the pitch at the moment.

:harrysmile:

I think they have a mentality problem. IMO if we had taken Ades or Chadlis chance, they would have collapsed.

Over the course of the season I can see them struggling when faced with early goals.

I don't think they will challenge for the title. They are one or two injurys away from a dissapointing run.

When you keep it short and sweet like that I find it much harder to find fault with your opinions.

Patronizing levels set to kill.

I think you latched on to pileons in the name of being popular with the loudest posters.

Have I become the loudest poster? Do you see a popularity swing going in my direction since the tiny dancers have let us down with sending offs, Townsend style giveaways etc this season? Hence the backhanded complement?

To be fair, on a regular forum I would have been banned by people like you in the past. Then you don't have to deal with me for a season where Townsend ends up with zero prem assists after the fact.

Now, while reading that you were thinking about a funny gif to post as a retort. Make it a good one. Dogs that look high? Someone falling down a manhole?

I think they have a mentality problem. IMO if we had taken Ades or Chadlis chance, they would have collapsed.

Over the course of the season I can see them struggling when faced with early goals.

I don't think they will challenge for the title. They are one or two injurys away from a dissapointing run.

Don't disagree at all, and for the record I'm not down with all the negativity surrounding this game. Just making the point that there are a lot worse teams out there.

Don't disagree at all, and for the record I'm not down with all the negativity surrounding this game. Just making the point that there are a lot worse teams out there.

Yep. They have to be good to beat us like that. It's a shame we didn't score in the first half to test their mettle.

Surely what is wrong is that we have only had 3 games under Poch's regime whereas they have had ages to buy into Brendans philosophy, and all their star players are accustomed to it.

Thus they look more familiar on the pitch, thus they played better. Simples.

Patronizing levels set to kill.

I think you latched on to pileons in the name of being popular with the loudest posters.
Pileons??

Have I become the loudest poster? Do you see a popularity swing going in my direction since the tiny dancers have let us down with sending offs, Townsend style giveaways etc this season? Hence the backhanded complement?
I have always thought that you've been pretty much dead-on in your assessment of which players are holding us back, and why. I think that your suggestions about how that should be fixed and where we should go from there have been garbage, though.

To be fair, on a regular forum I would have been banned by people like you in the past. Then you don't have to deal with me for a season where Townsend ends up with zero prem assists after the fact.
I've only ever voted for the Sin Bin in the case of egregious offenses. No matter what you might think of me, I wouldn't ban people just because of a difference of opinion. Nope, I am all too aware that most of my own opinions run counter to the established consensus.

Now, while reading that you were thinking about a funny gif to post as a retort. Make it a good one. Dogs that look high? Someone falling down a manhole?
X7cLsti.gif

Does it keep going wrong or is this our perception of what we expect.? Liverpool play with swagger and arrogance because they are a good team and full of confidence . We need to tap into this confidence and this includes supporters and things may turn. We have shown signs of being a good side, believe.

Good article but Inpart does not help moving forward by looking back.

Surely what is wrong is that we have only had 3 games under Poch's regime whereas they have had ages to buy into Brendans philosophy, and all their star players are accustomed to it.

Thus they look more familiar on the pitch, thus they played better. Simples.

I disagree. IMO if we carry on this love affair with certain types of players, you can give Poch all the time in the world and we will have the same soft core letting us down time and time again.

We tend to gravitate towards young, entitled players with lopsided gifts usually with a wow factor or a gimmick. And unfortunately most are English with terrible grass roots fundamentals.

Huddlestone, Bentley, Lennon, Crouch, Rose, Townsend, Defoe, JJ, O Hara etc cared more about what they did on a Saturday night than a Sat afternoon.

They all had huge potential but a questionable mentality to improve or concentrate.

If Poch thinks he can mold some of the Townsends, Roses, Naughtons and Lennons of the team into his system long term, he will lurch from one purple patch to another period where he will be scratching his head why we've gone on another bad run.

When it comes to our a English players, there have been way too many Naughtons and not enough Carricks.

If Poch puts his faith in them like AVB did with Defoe, Hudd, Naughyon, Lennon and Townsend he will go the same way regardless of the amount of time he's given.

To stop our wheels spinning, he needs to drop these players for ones with better fundamentals. There is light at the end of the English tunnel. Mason, Kane, Walker, Dier etc have a better team ethic. And I hope they end up more with a Bale or Carricks mothers boy mentality and not end up picking glass out of his reality tv girlfriends legs after a nightclub brawl or kicking the shit out of their dad in broad daylight.

I disagree. IMO if we carry on this love affair with certain types of players, you can give Poch all the time in the world and we will have the same soft core letting us down time and time again.

We tend to gravitate towards young, entitled players with lopsided gifts usually with a wow factor or a gimmick. And unfortunately most are English with terrible grass roots fundamentals.

Huddlestone, Bentley, Lennon, Crouch, Rose, Townsend, Defoe, JJ, O Hara etc cared more about what they did on a Saturday night than a Sat afternoon.

They all had huge potential but a questionable mentality to improve or concentrate.

If Poch thinks he can mold some of the Townsends, Roses, Naughtons and Lennons of the team into his system long term, he will lurch from one purple patch to another period where he will be scratching his head why we've gone on another bad run.

When it comes to our a English players, there have been way too many Naughtons and not enough Carricks.

If Poch puts his faith in them like AVB did with Defoe, Hudd, Naughyon, Lennon and Townsend he will go the same way regardless of the amount of time he's given.

To stop our wheels spinning, he needs to drop these players for ones with better fundamentals. There is light at the end of the English tunnel. Mason, Kane, Walker, Dier etc have a better team ethic. And I hope they end up more with a Bale or Carricks mothers boy mentality and not end up picking glass out of his reality tv girlfriends legs after a nightclub brawl or kicking the shit out of their dad in broad daylight.

IMO>>>Lesser players can and do function in a good team - thats what needs to be promoted at Spurs.
That is Liverpool's success over the years but you must have a core of talented/experience players (which we do not seem to have ATM) . Most players can't develop 100% talent or skill, so seem to have this "lopsided gift" as you put it. Liverpool players are allowed to develop their game for the benefit of the team, they enhance the talent they have.
e.g. Rose can defend with pace but struggles forward, so don't go forward when it can be punished - this is not talent its coaching.?
HR promoted team spirt which was successful with lopsided gifted players. At Tottenham we have always seem to promote/question and worship/criticise individuals rather than the team itself - this needs to change.
We were successful in our far distant past, with players that were as awful as you have suggested but the team was strong.

IMO>>>Lesser players can and do function in a good team - thats what needs to be promoted at Spurs.
That is Liverpool's success over the years but you must have a core of talented/experience players (which we do not seem to have ATM) . Most players can't develop 100% talent or skill, so seem to have this "lopsided gift" as you put it. Liverpool players are allowed to develop their game for the benefit of the team, they enhance the talent they have.
e.g. Rose can defend with pace but struggles forward, so don't go forward when it can be punished - this is not talent its coaching.?
HR promoted team spirt which was successful with lopsided gifted players. At Tottenham we have always seem to promote/question and worship/criticise individuals rather than the team itself - this needs to change.
We were successful in our far distant past, with players that were as awful as you have suggested but the team was strong.

I don't agree with Rose can defend with pace. He's a terrible defender. QPR was his sole solid performance as a defender.

If anything he's a winger. And not a top 4 or a backup level winger.

I think walker fits that defender that should hold back style. Not rose.

Naughton should hold back 200 miles away in another shirt.

IMO naughton, rose and Townsend are Lennon like. 8 years later he hasn't improved on basics like through balls and crosses. IMO these players are a time sink on valuable first team coaching time which is limited.

The best thing Harry ever did IMO was recognize there was a night club culture at the club. He got lucky with players. Inheriting Bale, Modric and being gifted VDV. To be fair he did bring in some good DMs in palacios and Parker to give a better platform for the modrics and bales to flourish.

But the less said about his other signings the better. Haha.

Last edited:
I don't agree with Rose can defend with pace. He's a terrible defender. QPR was his sole solid performance as a defender.

IMO naughton, rose and Townsend are Lennon like. 8 years later he hasn't improved on basics like through balls and crosses. IMO these players are a time sink on valuable first team coaching time which is limited.

The best thing Harry ever did IMO was recognize there was a night club culture at the club. He got lucky with players. Inheriting Bale, Modric and being gifted VDV. To be fair he did bring in some good DMs in palacios and Parker to give a better platform for the modrics and bales to flourish.

VDV had limitations in that he couldn't last for more than 70 mins but he was accommodated.

I agree with the pointers you make although I have to add both Palacios and Parker were very
limited in their abilities but the structure of the team, created by HR, accommodated them. Dare I say it, VDV had his limitations with fitness but he was accommodated. Spurs supporters are so besotted by individual players than looking at the whole shebang. (Liverpool use terms like family club and promote the club/team being most important before any player). My only qualm ATM is we have too many individuals rather than team structure ATM. We know Poch will put a team structure in place, only then we can look at players that can not live up to the job and then we get rid. One or two players will surprise us all.

Back
Top Bottom