Where do we go from here?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mourinho has to go. It hasn't worked, no point doubling down. If he hasn't gone by the time fans get back in it will get ugly very quickly. Whoever comes in be it Naglesmann, Rodgers, Ten Haag, Parker needs a better set up than we currently have so either a DOF or similar is needed. As for trasfers we need to go back to buying younger players and trusting our youth a bit more.

Maybe the answer is to just enjoy the good games and sod the crap ones. Take an old school approach and don't get too wound up on social media. Have a good day out on match day when the stadium and pubs open again. Have a laugh when we win. Take the piss when we lose, like we used to, and stop fretting over all this top 4 stuff until the alchemy required to achieve it is discovered once again.

It's all artery squeezing toxic junk otherwise.

Levy ain’t going, the best that can be done is pushed to the side with a DOF. Whatever the issues with our defence this squad should be doing miles better than it is and that is on the manager.

I want a proper structure system like City have, I know we don’t have their money but to have a DOF with power who is able to shape the club over the long term is key. Jose will not be part of that.
Levy will never cede full power to a DOF - that is the problem, mate. So we are stuck with more bargain bin specials for as long as he has the final say on transfers

Sacking Jose without Levy following is pointless and very expensive

A new manager, while providing a temporary bounce, will soon be stuck in the same Catch-22 situation:

- Squad made up of ageing, painfully average cloggers on fat, long-term contracts with zero ambition or desire to leave - Sissoko, Dier, Davies, Winks, Doherty, Lamela, Bergwyin, etc - to name a few
- Completely inadequate and dysfunctional scouting / transfer system build around maximising sell-on profits and nothing more
- Lack of clear direction and investment to propel THFC into a Tier 1 club

This Spurs fans been entitled is a load of nonsense. Any ambitious club with a history like ours should have a certain sense of entitlement and expectation.

We were the first club to win a double in the 20th century, the first English club to win a European trophy. When you tally up the total trophy haul of the 3 domestic trophies and the 3 European trophies, we were the second most successful club in England after Liverpool with 13 trophies in the post war period from 1946/47 all the way up to 1991/92, when Man U overtook us. We’ve won 3 trophies in 37 years since 1984.

Quite apart from trophies, we were a club that always had a well earned reputation for stylish football even through not so good times. The utter dross that Mourinho has served up over the last 16 months is an affront to our history and tradition.

Fair enough we were weak in certain positions, but with the attacking talent we have at our disposal, we have better players oversell than the likes of Leicester, Everton and Spammers and our £15 million a year managerial guru should be able to serve up some stylish football that comfortably sees us in the Top 4.

This is a bit of a reactionary thread to the Woolwich performance yesterday, but I think there are some serious questions that need to be asked .

Do we need a change in the upper management structure of the club for Spurs to succeed. So do we need to go back to a Director of Football system and a new team of people built around this person. So do we bring someone like Les Ferdinand with links to the club or someone from the continent who is a big name?

Do we Keep Mourinho or get rid?

Do we need a complete rebuild of the team or is it one or two positions?

Do we need to do an investigation weather Mourinho received any money from Spurs buying Doherty?

Going forward what style of play should we be aiming for?

Do we match the ambitions of our top players like Kane? If not then we need to sell him because it is unfair on him that we do not match his ambition.

Does Levy need to retire as chairman now that he has delivered the stadium and training ground and there are no major infrastructure projects for Spurs to carry out does he need to follow the original plan and find someone else to run the club day to day and be happy when the club is sold to someone else eventually?

If Mourinho stays how are we going to support him are we going to sign the World Class Defenders we need to play his tactics?

What type of players should we be signing.? Should we be signing world class talent or project players?

How do we sell the players we to get rid of?
There is no doubt in my mind that we have a top 4 squad.
Nobody can tell me that we have a worse squad than Leicester, spam and Everton.

We definitely need a DOF.
But anybody who thinks that Levy identifies which players we sign are deluded.

Our scouting system needs to be changed.

Jose needs to go.
Shits himself against any top 10 team and plays negative defensive football.

Maybe Enic have taken us as far as they can, but they're not selling and who would buy in this climate.

Be interesting how many ST will renew.

Ticket office will have to be really smart about when they announce prices and renewal dates.

Levy is struggling in this sense. He needs the cash flow, but I can't see fans returning consistently with Jose in charge.
There's only so much money tourists can bring in. Particularly if the A list players are no longer with us.

Sacking Jose at the end of season and getting a manager who clearly is good at attacking football and I think most fans will be happy to come through the gates. Keeping Jose with his brand of football and no hope for a genuine title challenge with that football and fans will turn off.

I honestly can’t stand when people say this. We are not an average club are we ? We are one of the top sides in English football who pay some of the highest ticket prices in Europe. We are a decorated club with a proud history of winning trophies. I don’t think you can give any Spurs fan stick for being pissed over winning 1 league cup in over 20 years. Our trophy haul for a club of our size is pathetic. Even Wigan are more successful than us trophy wise of recent, it’s ridiculous
Major trophies won by the English Big 6 up to the year 2000 ( Before ENIC took control of Tottenham Hotspur

Liverpool 34
Man Utd 26
Woolwich 22
Tottenham Hotspur 16
Chelsea 10
Man City 9

Major trophies up to 2020 after 2 decades of ENIC

Liverpool 43
Man Utd 42
Woolwich 31
Chelsea 24
Man City 20
Tottenham Hotspur 17

Yet, incredibly, we've had a multi billionaire owner for the last 20 years and are the most profitable club in world football.

tenor.gif

All goods questions posed by the thread starter. Like some on here I don’t profess to have the answers and nor should any of us in all honesty. That’s why we ‘should’ have trust in the owners and management structure.

Mourinho hasn’t worked out. Not only that but we didn’t even experience the fruits of what he is famous for: adding steel and character while picking up a pot or two. We’ve gone straight to year 3 bypassing the ‘good times’ (?). The appointment was very much in the mold of George Graham’s - an enemy infamous for playing in the complete opposite style to which Spurs are known.

I am really baffled though by the lack of mettle or application. I expected pragmatic football (maybe not as painful as we’ve seen) but I didn’t expect a JM side to be so brittle and fragile. To that end, he had failed miserably.

I’m not qualified to comment of the merits of a DoF. I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. Not sure if anyone posting on here does.

Agree, Levy ain’t going anywhere unless Bezos or another billionaire buys us out. I’d like Levy to step down or even move into a stadium op’s role (won’t happen) while a more ambitious director/chairman took over.

The squad is a baffling mix of sublime and ridiculous. It needs an overhaul because the ridiculous are costing us games regularly and there’s every chance the sublime will be off to try to match their talents to a club with more ambition.

I’d like to see more kids given a go but that won’t happen under this manager.

Lastly, we can play a part when grounds re-open. The new stadium - award winning and plush as it is - is something we have grow into and give character to. Obvs a successful side helps do that but so do we as loud, passionate supporters.....

The culture of the club for the last 30 years is exactly what was on show in the game yesterday.
1 league away win at Woolwich and the same record at Chelsea in that time just shows the gutless teams that have been built by many different managers in that period.
Time after time the attitude of the team shows that they don't give a toss and have no professional pride.
We are a gutless club from top to bottom with us fan's the long suffering ones.

I suspect we'll win nowt this season, finish 7th, but Jose will be given another season for monetary reasons.

I'm keeping my expectations low and taking comfort in winning the Premier League Sustainability Table 2020.

If Jose comes 7th, we win fuck all playing this style of football and Levy doesn’t sack him, I will be very much in the Levy out camp not that I can do anything to get rid of Levy.

We will be setting up a mid season sacking next year and rushed Tim Sherwood style appointment if we do.

99% of all fans win nothing.........

I honestly can’t stand when people say this. We are not an average club are we ? We are one of the top sides in English football who pay some of the highest ticket prices in Europe. We are a decorated club with a proud history of winning trophies. I don’t think you can give any Spurs fan stick for being pissed over winning 1 league cup in over 20 years. Our trophy haul for a club of our size is pathetic. Even Wigan are more successful than us trophy wise of recent, it’s ridiculous

We have got as far as we can under ENIC. I think that is patently obvious. They have generally done a good job (with reservations) but need to sell us before we can ever think of 'next level'.

I disagree, or at least reserve judgement to see how they manage the club once the stadium money starts rolling in properly.

I would also be more in favour of a partial sale with Levy managing the club with greater resources, rather than selling to someone with no experience.

Back
Top Bottom