When You're Not Young Anymore

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Telling people of my first trips to WHL by myself. £10 on the train and £10 to get in at the gate.
I can't remember how much the train was for my first game, but the entrance for a "boy" was 3/6 old money (equivalent of 17.5p). That's a sure sign of being old - still thinking in old money! I was telling someone yesterday that my seat is roughly about £70. I know I used to stand and not truly comparative, but still.

When ever someone made the crossover from player to manager and I remember when they made their debuts! Glenn, Chrissie, Stevie, Peter Reid, Kenny Dalglish pop to mind.

One moment that sticks out for me was when Martin Jol was appointed our manager. I hadn't appreciated it at the time but he had played for WBA against us in the League Cup semi final at The Hawthorns. What made that memorable was there was a train strike and we went by coach and trying to find ours after the game was a needle in a haystack moment.
Happy days :)
Jol and Tony Galvin got sent off in that 1st leg, if I remember correctly.
Also recollect the gates getting charged before the game, and a load getting in for free.
Not forgetting those two Spurs fans sitting on top of the roof.

When the first XI's combined age is still 2 years younger than you, then you KNOW you're old!

For me, it was the moment I realised I was 5 years older than AVB when he was our manager!
:avbfacepalm::avbshit::avbnaa::avbhumph:

The feeling that i am getting older is made worse when a player comes into the team very young. And then they retire in their 30s. Really brings it home. Even though i am older than the players i still worship them. I am childish re my football. Mainly by collecting things. Brings me enjoyment so i will carry on how i am.

...When people talk about the Hummel shirt from the mid 80s as being a vintage or retro classic and you played fives as a teenager in the original....

Last edited:
When ever someone made the crossover from player to manager and I remember when they made their debuts! Glenn, Chrissie, Stevie, Peter Reid, Kenny Dalglish pop to mind.

One moment that sticks out for me was when Martin Jol was appointed our manager. I hadn't appreciated it at the time but he had played for WBA against us in the League Cup semi final at The Hawthorns. What made that memorable was there was a train strike and we went by coach and trying to find ours after the game was a needle in a haystack moment.
Happy days :)

Getting a players name on the back of your new shirt and he’s half your age and will fuck off as soon as he gets to big for his boots!

When you're a kid, it's obviously the norm to be watching us play....and all the players on the pitch to be older than you .

I do though recollect the first time watching us, when a Spurs player out there was actually younger than me.
After all those years of cheering on your heroes, it felt sort of weird for a while.

Anyway - it was at home to Citeh in Feb '82
The player being Ally Dick.

Anybody remember when to first happened to them and who the player was?

When you're a kid, it's obviously the norm to be watching us play....and all the players on the pitch to be older than you .

I do though recollect the first time watching us, when a Spurs player out there was actually younger than me.
After all those years of cheering on your heroes, it felt sort of weird for a while.

Anyway - it was at home to Citeh in Feb '82
The player being Ally Dick.

Anybody remember when to first happened to them and who the player was?

Interesting thought. For me it wasn't about that one specific moment. It's more in stages that creeps up on you. Though there's often that a, or a few, moment(s), where you realise that fuck me I'm old, when it dawns on you that you've moved to looking at footballers in another way.

As a child, they're all giants and gods among men.

As a teen, realising that they're just look everyone else. Some are brilliant people and some right twats.

As a 20s adult, probably the closest I've come to what you describe. Suddenly realising they're not your elders but peers (age-wise) was a strange sensation.

As a 30s adult, seeing others live the dream while you're pushing middle-age category is bloody depressing at first.

Back
Top Bottom