What do you think about former woolwich players playing for us?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The other thing worth remembering, is that (as with most clubs) there are two types of player; the one simply 'passing through', for whom that club is just 'another club'.... (Gallas and Ade spring immediately to mind!)
Then there is the player who grew up at that club, got their footballing education there, and whom the fans hold with that much higher regard because of this.... Again, I don't need to remind anyone of the ex-Spurs/ArseAnal player I'm referring to!
It would be the equivalent of Wilshire moving here in his prime...

Gallas and Ade don't have ArseAnal in their hearts, so I'm not fussed they're now here (albeit not for much longer I imagine)
Sol SHOULD'VE been to us what Wilshire is to them, and THAT'S why it hurt so much at the time!!

Excellent post

I didn't like it when GG was our manager but tolerated it. I don't particularly like ex gooners playing for us, but tolerate it. I think ex-gooners have more respect for the supporters and wouldn't come to us. I remember when Petit came back to the UK, he really wanted to play for Glenn Hoddle, but didn't want to upset the poor little gooners - diddums! Pity R-Sol didn't have the same feeling.

I think ex-gooners have more respect for the supporters and wouldn't come to us.

Agreed. I hate Thierry Henry, but I like the fact he recognises that us, and Woolwich have a great rivalry.

He was quoted in the papers after the Prem finished defending why Woolwich were celebrating when they finished top 4 and said that it was great they kept us out, etc...

Look, before this post gets misconstrued, I hate Henry, I hate Woolwich, but I love the NLD and the rivalry.

Agreed. I hate Thierry Henry, but I like the fact he recognises that us, and Woolwich have a great rivalry.

He was quoted in the papers after the Prem finished defending why Woolwich were celebrating when they finished top 4 and said that it was great they kept us out, etc...

Look, before this post gets misconstrued, I hate Henry, I hate Woolwich, but I love the NLD and the rivalry.

he wasn't defending them, he said that it isn't right they're celebrating, think his word were 'you don't celebrate finishing 4th at Woolwich' or some stupid bullshit like that

he wasn't defending them, he said that it isn't right they're celebrating, think his word were 'you don't celebrate finishing 4th at Woolwich' or some stupid bullshit like that

But Henry, 35, hopes they were celebrating ousting their rivals.
He said: “Putting Tottenham out of the top four, and I really do hope that’s what they were celebrating about, that’s the only thing you can celebrate.
“If you’re an Woolwich man through and through, that’s like winning something. I said it when we did to them in 2006.
“It wasn’t the fact that we qualified for the Champions League, it was because we kicked them out of it and we went in.”
We're both right.

But Henry, 35, hopes they were celebrating ousting their rivals.
He said: “Putting Tottenham out of the top four, and I really do hope that’s what they were celebrating about, that’s the only thing you can celebrate.
“If you’re an Woolwich man through and through, that’s like winning something. I said it when we did to them in 2006.
“It wasn’t the fact that we qualified for the Champions League, it was because we kicked them out of it and we went in.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4946716/Thierry-Henry-hopes-Woolwich-aim-for-higher-than-fourth.html#ixzz2V5hurHXg

We're both right.

ahhhhhahahahahahaha right

what a cunt :walkerwtf:

What I don't understand about Henry is that Irish gooners (and there's loads) still love him.
Spurs fans still talk about Greaves as if he were the messiah.....

Oh - he was, wasn't he?

Henry was awesome to watch in his pomp (the bastard) as were Pires, Bergkamp, and most of that generation of goons. Sickening to have to say, but they deserved everything they got - they were streets ahead of everyone else.

I'm not knocking him as a player, it pains me to admit it but he was one of the best I've seen in the flesh. I would just think that Irish fans would hate him as a cheat.

What I don't understand about Henry is that Irish gooners (and there's loads) still love him.

Spurs fans still talk about Greaves as if he were the messiah.....

I think FW is referring to the World Cup incident where Henry cheated by keeping the ball in play by near enough picking it up to change its direction resulting in a goal.

if one of our players cheated when they played against England, I wouldn't give a monkeys to be honest, Spurs before England, every time.

Im Spurs before England too, but I would lose a helluva lot of respect for that player. I think that is a poor attitude to take.

If they can do a job, then I'd take them. Still, I'd never take a c*nt who trashed us in the past (like Sczesny) in a Spurs shirt. Too much respect for that.

OK, I've just realised there is a THIRD type of player... The one (like Henry and Szcezney) who arrive from abroad (usually) ....but once they play for a certain club, will convince themselves, and the world that they grew up supporting that club, and had a Liam Brady kit as a child, and can quote every moment of the 1979 Cup Final.... They suddenly hate us with a passion, and "zat Venger iz like a Fazzer to me!!!"
I fucking despise that!

(unless you think of Freund and Ginola in the same category for us....
in which case it's admirably loveable!!)

I see a lot of talk on 'it depends how good the player was' etc. For me personally it's not about their quality as a player, it's the principle. Respect other people's opinions though.

Back
Top Bottom