We need to talk about football (Part 1 & 2)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
On the 19 June 2013, The Spirit of Shankly movement arranged for some 400 football fans from clubs across the British Isles to put aside rivalry and battle a common enemy. The Premier League. Recorded in the direct aftermath, The Fighting Cock podcast returns for this two part special on modern football.

With usual host Flav are Seb White of the brilliant STAND Against Modern Football, Amanda Jacks of the irreplaceable Football Supporters Federation, and Martin Cloake (martincloake.com), Journalist and Author of The Glory Glory Nights – essential reading for all Tottenham fans.

In part 1, we go through in detail what football was before the Premier League, unearthing some of the reasons why, for better or worse, changes took place in the game. We then delve into where the game is now and what frustrations led to the march on the Premier League Offices.

In part 2, we talk about the role of the Football Supporters Federation and why all fans need to know how and when to contact them. We also find out how you can fight back against the erosion and mutation of the match day fan, in an attempt to improve the football experience for all supporters, not just those that can afford extortionate ticket prices.

Part 1

Download Episode

Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe to RSS Feed | Stitcher

Part 2

Download Episode

Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe to RSS Feed | Stitcher

OPxvfJ0.jpg

So I have to wait for part 3 for "Ask Engineer Al"?

Good chat, and I liked the efforts to dial down the spursitude a bit.

Agree, although it would have been a useful place to mention '1882' at some point.

Actually imo the ethos on this podcast is why everyone should listen to this one at the very least, before writing on the forum. But I know that's just me.

Don't know if I tuned out when you were talking about it but seemed to be not so much talk about prices and more about atmosphere. For me, no matter how much the price, fans still have destiny in our own hands when it comes to singing (although conditions can be altered to make it more conducive to making noise.)
However the price of tickets should be the main issue as we have no power over that without proper protest. As you rightly said, boycotts won't work in football.

I like TokyoSpurs TokyoSpurs suggestion. Would have to be at a major game where you'd expect noise e.g. NLD or Liverpool v united. For two sets of rival fans to come together in such a way would be immensely powerful. Imagine an early goal going in and not a peep from the crowd.

In my opinion change won't come around anytime soon at Tottenham. Too many old fans, set in their ways who simply don't care about the next generation of fans.
Notice how the driving force against the high ticket prices/safe standing etc. is 16-35 year olds.

In my opinion change won't come around anytime soon at Tottenham. Too many old fans, set in their ways who simply don't care about the next generation of fans.
Notice how the driving force against the high ticket prices/safe standing etc. is 16-35 year olds.

With that kind of attitude there won't be change IMO.

Think what Windy means is that by spreading that view point you're potentially polarising the very people you need on side to makes things change. Coming across as an upstart, that's not what I'm saying you are, but how you might be viewed, isn't sound basis for any movement.

Think what Windy means is that by spreading that view point you're potentially polarising the very people you need on side to makes things change. Coming across as an upstart, that's not what I'm saying you are, but how you might be viewed, isn't sound basis for any movement.

That's exactly it.

Resenting the very people you want to change is not going to help.

Or maybe you don't want to change them? If not, are you just going to wait for them to die before you start enjoying WHL again?

Disclaimer: I realise I'm a massive hypocrite because I've moaned about the atmosphere at WHL plenty and stopped going so much as a result.

First off, great podcast and a very interesting listen, I think there is a need to sort of split the atmosphere and supporter's rights, 1882 is, for my understanding a bunch of spurs fans getting together and getting behind the team, giving fans the chance to get together with like minded fans, that's a great thing and funnily enough my Watford pal was telling me all about a new supporters group of their's called 'the 1881', hmm!

The club does need challenging on:
pricing
safe standing
stub hub
the lack of accessibility to younger fans
our loyalty point system (especially on away tickets)

I'm sure we can all add to that, but is that a TFC or 1882 thing? I'm not trying to do anyone down, I just thought that's what the Supporter's Trust should be doing. Are we saying that they're not voicing our concerns, they need to be telling us more about what they're doing or that 1882 might need to open a dialogue with them to make sure they are voicing our concerns?

Not making any judgements at all I am just interested to see everyone's take...

Back
Top Bottom