We need more craft and creativity in midfield

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be honest, we seem to make enough chances (statistically), we just don't finish them..
soldado-wtf.png

To be honest, we seem to make enough chances (statistically), we just don't finish them.

Equally, we are solid at the base defensively, with the nature of our conceded goals alluding more to defenders making ridiculous errors, rather than being out-skilled or bombarded.

The fact that the majority of players have been running on 50% form all season suggests that the real problem is the one we're hopefully on to already - coaching.

Aside from that, a forward line that can take their chances better (or at least without having to have some sort of revenge fuelled form) would be far more useful.

I'm convinced the only difference between Liverpool and Spurs (including Rodgers) is not the midfield so much, but the front line grabbing their chances and converting them. A Modric style player would be great, but not as important as a good coach and a sharp striker, im o.

Agree. And a secret weapon DM is right under our noses:

Awww..

Don't trust ole Gibbsy on Soldado. Epic fail on my part. Looks utterly lost clueless to change his game when he's not getting service. When our midfield is plodding buildup or our wings are putting in crap crosses: He keeps making the same failed runs, or worse, just crabs with his back to goal.

There has been some flashes between him Ade and Eriksen but he's too much of a non event to have that luxury.

He is the one who claims players I rate will = West Ham.

No, it's the style you want. Which is precisely what I said.

Right..All we have to do is buy Bale and Ronaldo and we are good.

Remember what I said about being realistic? Using Real Madrid to win an argument = yawn.

Lol that is so offkilter from the point. I still can't decide if you're just that clueless or the most elaborate troll I've ever seen.

No, it's the style you want. Which is precisely what I said.

Lol that is so offkilter from the point. I still can't decide if you're just that clueless or the most elaborate troll I've ever seen.

Said the guy who equated Lamela, Eriksen, Ade, Vlad, Sandro, Walker, Vertonghen etc to West Ham. Feel free to double down on your bullshit asshole.

"Wings good because Real Madrid...Duuuur"

Holds up one hand "Spurs"
Holds up the other "Real Madrid wages"

82334192.gif

What is it that is so unreasonable about my argument? Last year people were telling me I needed a lobotomy because I did not rate Rose, Townsend, Lennon, Defoe, Huddlestone etc.

Here I am again, surrounded by lolcats because I think Lamela, Ade, Eriksen etc has a future at the club when it comes to creativity and I don't think the grass is greener outside some leftbacks and right back backup.

The West Ham clunkers you keep talking (bollocks) about...How have those speed merchants done for us on the wings this year? Gotta trust ole Gibbsy.

This isn't even the point I have an issue with, and is a misinterpretation for a counterpoint of my own point.

Said the guy who equated Lamela, Eriksen, Ade, Vlad, Sandro, Walker, Vertonghen etc to West Ham. Feel free to double down on your bullshit asshole.

"Wings good because Real Madrid...Duuuur"

Holds up one hand "Spurs"
Holds up the other "Real Madrid wages"

82334192.gif

Lol that's not what I said you complete and utter fool.

Lol that's not what I said you complete and utter fool.

cahspur "But as for your question of formations using wingers/wingbacks, you saw a 4-3-3 just yesterday rip the defending Champions of Europe using wingbacks."

????

What in the name of greek buggery does your sentence above, have to do with my formation which has no wingers and wingbacks and a packed midfield?

What am I supposed to say to that? Yes...Real Madrid in that shape would beat my formation? Please explain what that has to do with my points?

cahspur "But as for your question of formations using wingers/wingbacks, you saw a 4-3-3 just yesterday rip the defending Champions of Europe using wingbacks."

????

What in the name of greek buggery does your sentence above, have to do with my formation which has no wingers and wingbacks and a packed midfield?

What am I supposed to say to that? Yes...Real Madrid in that shape would beat my formation? Please explain what that has to do with my points?

On that, the example should be clear to you. Real Madrid's use of slight wingbacks assisting their counterattacking play was executed brilliantly. Should be a readily apparent example.

My most recent post however was in response to your accusation of me insinuating your "rated players" are like West Ham. No, but the kind of player you want in certain positions in combination with some of the players you want would indeed make us into a West Ham/Stoke kind of squad.

With your delusions telling me I'm being realistic about citing an example of great wingback play... My God you can't script this stuff.

On that, the example should be clear to you. Real Madrid's use of slight wingbacks assisting their counterattacking play was executed brilliantly. Should be a readily apparent example.

thank+you+captain+obvious.+You+going+to+jail+thank+you+again_a27da1_3809353.jpg

Anything else ball blowingly obvious and ultimately unattainable you want to prove me wrong with? Sky is blue perhaps?

My most recent post however was in response to your accusation of me insinuating your "rated players" are like West Ham. No, but the kind of player you want in certain positions in combination with some of the players you want would indeed make us into a West Ham/Stoke kind of squad.

Yep yep yep. Eriksen, Ade, Lamela etc in a 4-2-3-1

BOOM!!! West Ham!

And not as good as Real Madrid. Now do your thing...Tell me I'm the most clueless man in all of the kingdoms as your monocle falls into your lap.

Yep yep yep. Eriksen, Ade, Lamela etc in a 4-2-3-1

BOOM!!! West Ham!

And not as good as Real Madrid. Now do your thing...Tell me I'm the most clueless man in all of the kingdoms as your monocle falls into your lap.

Yes. I think Eriksen, Lamela, and Holtby are West Ham-type players. Unreal.

Stroke to your anterior cerebral artery mayhaps?

Anything else ball blowingly obvious and ultimately unattainable you want to prove me wrong with? Sky is blue perhaps?

Except this was my entire counterpoint to your nonsense about getting rid of wingbacks? Now you're agreeing with me? Good lord you're amusing.

Last edited:
Except this was my entire counterpoint to your nonsense about getting rid of wingbacks? Now you're agreeing with me? Good lord you're amusing.

So I should not got rid of wingbacks like Naughton, Rose and Naughton.

Because. Real Madrid?

Face it. You brought up west ham because I brought up scoring from set pieces for a change and you blurt out nonsense.

Last edited:
So I should not got rid of wingbacks like Naughton, Rose and Naughton.

Because. Real Madrid?

Why are you mentioning wings? Since when has 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 have wingers/wingbacks?

You asked, I gave you an example of a counter of an example of a 4-3-3 utilizing wingbacks efficiently. Plain as that.

Now that the obvious has been laid out for you, we're done here. There is literally nothing for you to counter this post as you would attempting be counter the events of recent history. Now I believe it is high time for me to follow suit with many other wise people here who have blocked you and followed through with it. Your misinterpretations of facts and statements are concerning, and I would like to again wish you the best of luck out there. May good fortune follow you in your walk of life.

Your misinterpretations of facts and statements are concerning.

Yeah it's great. I'm the dude who starts anti wing play threads and bangs on about Lennon, Rose and Townsend daily...But you assumed I wanted to "play clunkers on the wings". In shapes that pack the midfield...Then blow my mind by claiming wingbacks exist in Real Madrid.

BTW..psst..Real were playing 4-4-2 formation. oops!

Last edited:
Yeah it's great. I'm the dude who starts anti wing play threads and bangs on about Lennon, Rose and Townsend daily...But you assumed I wanted to "play clunkers on the wings". In shapes that pack the midfield...Then blow my mind by claiming wingbacks exist in Real Madrid.

BTW..psst..Real were playing 4-4-2 formation. oops!

o_O It was a 4-3-3 mate, just as they've played all season.

o_O It was a 4-3-3 mate, just as they've played all season.

" Ancelotti’s side had little incentive to come forward against Bayern, instead opting to play almost a conventional 4-4-2 with Gareth Bale and Angel di Maria sitting deep and wide and Ronaldo operating almost alongside Benzema."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...champions-league-live-score-highlights-report

"Madrid basically a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo up. Alaba hoofs it into the Madrid area."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...munich-real-Madrid-champions-league-live.html

oops

" Ancelotti’s side had little incentive to come forward against Bayern, instead opting to play almost a conventional 4-4-2 with Gareth Bale and Angel di Maria sitting deep and wide and Ronaldo operating almost alongside Benzema."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...champions-league-live-score-highlights-report

"Madrid basically a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo up. Alaba hoofs it into the Madrid area."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...munich-real-Madrid-champions-league-live.html

oops

The lineup was indeed officially a 4-3-3 featuring wingbacks, which was in counter to your question. "Almost a conventional 4-4-2" and "basically a 4-4-2" changes nothing as it is the observations of a few reporters. Your point is childish regardless, as they've utilized such a formation and those players there all season.

The lineup was indeed officially a 4-3-3 featuring wingbacks, which was in counter to your question. "Almost a conventional 4-4-2" and "basically a 4-4-2" changes nothing as it is the observations of a few reporters. Your point is childish regardless, as they've utilized such a formation and those players there all season.

There's an interactive heatmap on here:
http://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2014/04/0-4-now-for-the-decima-in-lisbon?pid=1383833298379

I can't figure out much from the heat map what the formation was, at times looked like 433 but also looked like a 442 at times too.

Back
Top Bottom