We need a captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Captaincy is overrated. Lloris won the World Cup as France‘s captain, but I highly doubt anyone attributes it to him.

We need 11 players who take responsibility for their role all across the pitch and a manager who holds them accountable and while delivering his part of the deal tactically. Conte has always been that type of manager and hopefully will be for us.

As for the 11, I think we’re still 3 or 4 short, especially organizationally at the back.

Captaincy is overrated. Lloris won the World Cup as France‘s captain, but I highly doubt anyone attributes it to him.

We need 11 players who take responsibility for their role all across the pitch and a manager who holds them accountable and while delivering his part of the deal tactically. Conte has always been that type of manager and hopefully will be for us.

As for the 11, I think we’re still 3 or 4 short, especially organizationally at the back.
It’s not overatted
Lloris won the World Cup because he had ten world class players in front of him.

He did try and fuck it up though

We lack leadership, France didnt

Not a dressing room drama queen rallying the high fives but somebody on the pitch, a CB or CM who can actually influence the team mentally.

Stripping captaincy is always going to be awkward, but it’s vital. We’ve lacked leadership for years and I have no idea what Hugo brings from his goal line or how so many managers can’t see it.

I’m also tired of the vice captain walking around with a bone dry forehead whispering under his hand to refs. Liven the fuck up a bit.

We need a Chellini

I agree all players need responsibility but it’s the same in every line of work, when the chips are down, you need team leadership

Even when it’s going well you need to keep everyone focused
Definitely agree, though I think with a personality as dominant as Conte involved now, he’ll be setting the culture and tempo.

Down to a couple of the players to solidify themselves as his lieutenants on the pitch.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable
It would be close between Reguilon and Winks.

It’s not overatted
Lloris won the World Cup because he had ten world class players in front of him.

He did try and fuck it up though

We lack leadership, France didnt
That’s exactly what I was saying.

Hugo is the only real candidate for the captaincy right now. He sets the example in terms of professionalism, high standards and respect to the club. It's not ideal to have a GK as captain but there is nobody else who deserves to wear the armband right now.

Players like Hojbjerg are too prone to shrugging and being lazy to have any business being captain. The team does not have enough consistent players or enough characters. That's what we are missing more than anything, it doesn't really matter who actually wears the armband. Conte made Buffon the captain at Juventus but when you have an XI with Chiellini, Bonucci, Pirlo, Marchisio etc it could be any of them. The team overall was strong.

We are a weak team because we only have one player worthy of the armband. It's more important to strengthen the character of the team overall than obsess over who is the captain. Winning teams have strong characters in every position. When Chelsea started winning leagues, Terry might have been the captain but he was playing with Lampard, Makelele, Gallas, Carvalho, Drogba etc. All leaders. The team is more important than any one player.

Yh we need someone who sets the standard and doesn't accept mediocrity. So many misplaced simple passes again that shouldn't be tolerated.

Even when a mistake is made it turns to dominoes one after the other and we end up conceding.

We were really up against it when they had them corners. Definitely would have conceded if Conte didnt change things.

PEH really disappeared at that time wasn't pressing and dropped way too far back between the defence.

A player to just get them organised when things ain't going well and kill the game when needed

Not a dressing room drama queen rallying the high fives but somebody on the pitch, a CB or CM who can actually influence the team mentally.

Stripping captaincy is always going to be awkward, but it’s vital. We’ve lacked leadership for years and I have no idea what Hugo brings from his goal line or how so many managers can’t see it.

I’m also tired of the vice captain walking around with a bone dry forehead whispering under his hand to refs. Liven the fuck up a bit.

We need a Chellini

Chiellini's are as rare as Roy Keane's.

Your point is well made and one I have stated for many many years. It is also said with no disrespect to Lloris, who at least continues to demonstrate loyalty.

We are mentally weak and it drives at the heart of why predicting the West Ham, Woolwich and United losses did not require the insight of Nostradamus.

Hojbjerg gives it the good talk on interviews and throws his arms up in the air on the pitch with some fist bumps.

But if you actually watch him. He's jogging about and a lot of the time puts in very lazy challenges. I don't want him as my captain.

Back
Top Bottom