We are not a top 5 club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This the kind of nonsense that i believe we are eluding ourselves with? Look at our goal difference and points against the top 4? in fact, look at our record, its no better than some of the teams below us.

I guess, Citys record, since the last 4 seasons would be better than our also. They are the top 5 clubs and we are on the fringe.
It suggests we are Top 5, but behind what has historically (as in the last 20+ years) been a Big 4. We tend to be the Best of the Rest, just missing out every time we're close to success but playing entertaining, attacking football.

Christ why do I get the feeling if 6 clubs got to the champions league every season we'd be having this conversation and we would finish 7th every year as two other billionaires would step in

Its just so tough for us to swallow being so close to the prize and not being able to take it, in particular when we did finish 4th. I just wonder if Everton fans feel the same as us, they got a year in it too, have had similar cup success - do they go through the same pain we do? Probably do to some extent as they sold their "best" player too in the summer and as their team gets better another billionaire comes in to keep them 6th/7th

Its so tough as the strong get stronger, i suppose we have to be thankful as this game of ours does get sold down the river, we arent a Leeds or Forest who wont ever see the success again that they once had, at least we have a chance

Rubbish, stop making it ambigious. The points over the last years speak for themselves. We are indeed a top 5 club, with a top away record and can achieve 70 points. But how can you push on from there when
1) the chairman keeps firing the manager every 18 months
2) the chairman REFUSES to bring in the right players ie: Leftback, striker and defender this window
3) We prioritize a mickey mouse cup that people refuse to accept is damaging our league chances.

We are a top 5 club on the verge of top 4 but will always miss out because the club is run by a chairman with a midtable mindset.

I despair for "fans" like yourself

1) We existed as a club before AVB, you might recall. Redknapp (he managed Tottenham before AVB) was manager for nearly 4 years, also Martin Jol was manager for almost 3 years too.
AVB isn't the yard stick for anything except most point in the season.
2) The Chairman isn't responsible for brining in anyone - he employs two people for that; the DoF and Sherwood. You might recall (as you are obviously a knowledgeable fan) that Sherwood explained that Daniel Levy offered him players in January and Sherwood turned him down.
3) Sherwood prioritised a "mickey mouse cup" that was the only one left after fucking up the others. But of course we should prioritise finishing 4th, because people will look back and sell memorabilia of the year we finished 4th.... again.

"Levy is to blame, he buggered by dog and wiped his dick on my mum" etc. etc. yawn. Go be 'trifficChelsea' if you're going to spout nonsense, I'm happy that we've at least achieved what we have on field, going from a skint mid table club to be lucky enough to be upset at only being 5th.

If only everyone was ambitious about our manager...

This the kind of nonsense that i believe we are eluding ourselves with? Look at our goal difference and points against the top 4? in fact, look at our record, its no better than some of the teams below us.

I guess, Citys record, since the last 4 seasons would be better than our also. They are the top 5 clubs and we are on the fringe.
Well you've got me there. Impossible to come back from.

I just wonder if Everton fans feel the same as us, they got a year in it too, have had similar cup success - do they go through the same pain we do?

Judging by the relentless whining and moaning at Goodison, I'd say yes...though at least they generally direct their complaints towards the ref and the opposition.

I think the real issue which this thread is bunglingly trying to address is around how we - as fans - come to terms with the "so-close-and-yet-so-far" status we're having to endure in recent seasons. I think endure is the right word, because, although we've achieved our most realistic goals of a cup win and a CL run in recent seasons, these successes appear to have raised the bar to many people's expectations.

So, as things stand, pessimists will take the view that it's just going to happen again this season. Yet again in differing circumstances, as we´ve already had:

1. The "Lasagne-gate" season.
2. The "mind-the-gap" season.
3. The "4th place but no CL" season

which are all still very much in the forefront of most Spurs (and non-Spurs) fans' minds. So this year's failure headline for us could be pretty complex as it comprises ManU leaving a vacuum that we won't be filling, coupled with the average dip in points tally at the head of the table, coupled with our own record points total, coupled with our record outlay in players during the summer. I don't have a dinky title for this scenario but I do have two suggestions for coming to terms with the above.

1. The season isn't over yet.
2. When the season is over, whatever happens, deal with it. We're Tottenham Hotspur. We're not "a top X club".

I think the real issue which this thread is bunglingly trying to address is around how we - as fans - come to terms with the "so-close-and-yet-so-far" status we're having to endure in recent seasons. I think endure is the right word, because, although we've achieved our most realistic goals of a cup win and a CL run in recent seasons, these successes appear to have raised the bar to many people's expectations.

So, as things stand, pessimists will take the view that it's just going to happen again this season. Yet again in differing circumstances, as we´ve already had:

1. The "Lasagne-gate" season.
2. The "mind-the-gap" season.
3. The "4th place but no CL" season

which are all still very much in the forefront of most Spurs (and non-Spurs) fans' minds. So this year's failure headline for us could be pretty complex as it comprises ManU leaving a vacuum that we won't be filling, coupled with the average dip in points tally at the head of the table, coupled with our own record points total, coupled with our record outlay in players during the summer. I don't have a dinky title for this scenario but I do have two suggestions for coming to terms with the above.

1. The season isn't over yet.
2. When the season is over, whatever happens, deal with it. We're Tottenham Hotspur. We're not "a top X club".

Only a suggestion…take your pick?
"The lost the plot season" or just "The predictable season"

I think people are mistaking a 'TOP 5' club with the 'Big 5' from years gone by.... Back then, ourselves, ArseAnal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton were considered the BIG 5.... But I guess Everton and Us have been shunted out of the way by Man City and Chelsea...
We are very MUCH a Top 5 side at the moment based on recent league positions.... Yet Man Utd are 'only' a Top 6 side based on current League Position, but you wouldn't see a list of 'Top 5' clubs without their name on it!!

fine margins and context.... I believe THOSE are the themes of this season after all!!

Well put. From a squad point of view, I would say we are in the top 7, but certainly not the top 4. That's to say we will finish between 5th and 7th.

It only seams like the other day when we had Harry as a Manager, VDV, Bale and Modric. The chairman that some people think is actually good for the club, sold all 3 players, sacked Harry, employed the Portuguese idiot, and allowed Baldini to sign 7 donkeys that had never kicked a ball in premiership football. After years at looking up at Woolwich, we had eventually become their equal, and because of the actions of an ego maniac (Levy), we are now back in the ranks of mediocrity. Never mind, there is always the pub before the game

We have the squad for the top 4 or 5 we just haven't got the man to make it happen..
With the right manager this squad could be brilliant..it's not utilised correctly..

I would say it is the other way around. I think we have a squad that is very average, and a manager with promise, albeit not ready for Spurs.

It only seams like the other day when we had Harry as a Manager, VDV, Bale and Modric. The chairman that some people think is actually good for the club, sold all 3 players, sacked Harry, employed the Portuguese idiot, and allowed Baldini to sign 7 donkeys that had never kicked a ball in premiership football.

Funny how it gets twisted to suit. Levy did well to hold onto both Modric and Bale a season longer than was expected, considering the lack of CL football that fulfils the ambitions of excellent players. He also got a big wedge for those two, so much so that we've made up for the donkeys that we've wasted money on in the past.
I think you'd struggle to find many posts on here from when Harry was sacked which suggest that, again, the board did exactly what the fans wanted. Redknapp was good for us, but had no interest in taking us further and started damaging the reputation of the club with his gabbling. He made his own bed.

In addition, I've said before, but at the time Harry was sacked (started even beforehand!) people were on about people like Lambert, Moyes and so on, but the majority wanted AVB - a promising manager seen as unfairly sacked and given no chance at Chelsea.

Then, fans want us to spend every penny of Bale's transfer and some, so we did - on players that, for the most part, everyone would have jumped at the chance for. I don't envy Levy for the job he has to do, he's gone a great job and there's no pleasing some people on here.

Makes me think the average age on here is 12 based on the short sighted crap that gets said...

On topic, the squad could be considered as average at the moment, based on form, as our defence is shot. Unfortunately, AVB might have been on to something when he tried to ditch Dawson as he's not a consistent player, but we've also been unlucky this season with Kaboul and Vertonghen being crocked, and the latter being disinterested (judging by his media comments and form). The only areas we have that are close to strong are GK - Hugo being a top keeper and Brad being a great backup IMO - and Midfield, but again Sandro has been injured and its questionable what our best lineup actually is...

I think the key issue is completely based around training: I think neither AVB's experience nor backroom staff were good enough for the team and it's possible that it's to blame for the injuries. I also think the key factor in our fragility currently is the signs that the quality of the coaching staff is still poor.

I mean, if Tim & Les were world class coaches then I'd have expected either Harry to have used them in that function more at Spurs, or have poached them to QPR. The team play like they're in school, and Tim worries me when he suggests he just tells them to "go and play well" - top players need an influencial mentor as a manager, not a counsellor. The benefit of a world class coach coming in would be the potential of world class coaches following.

I feel many posts give an accurate account of where we are but differ in their opinon. Whether its placing blame on Mr Levy or the Players. Whether its, we are better than suggested but had been unlucky or we are what we are as our record reflects that. For me, we are not amongst the top 5 clubs in the PL. We do finish 5th on a regular basis but if that were a CL spot, things may be different. The top clubs close rank (do what evers necessary) when we come knocking on the door. Yes I am bitter and cynical with it all.

Back
Top Bottom