We are not a top 5 club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was trying to understand where we are………... Are we a Top 5 side - NO?
We are at best, the best side in the PL up to 5th spot. We are not amongst the established top 4 which rotates around 5 clubs. They seem to close ranks when we show signs of getting amongst them. We are not a top 5 club. Finishing 5th just eludes us into believing we can get amongst the best. This will never happen as things are. I dislike modern football with a passion but we need to embrace the modern ways if we want to improve. Getting a chairmen/sponsor who is willing to give money as quick as we can spend it, I'm sorry to say.

We have finished in the Top 5 for the past 4 seasons running (4th, 5th, 4th, 5th) and finished in the top 5 in 6 out of the last 8 seasons.

We are currently placed 5th in the Premier League.

We are the joint 4th most succesful club in English Football history with Everton and Chelsea. We have all won 24 major trophies.

We are currently pretty consistently achieving the positions that history dictates we should finish in. All roads clearly point to us being a top 5 side.

i'd say were in the top 5.5 - we can't really compete with the two holders of magic lamps, chelsea and city, and although we're over man u atm in the standings, it's honest to say they're a bigger club and that they'll come back eventually, sometimes in the near future. we may be around the same league as Liverpool and Woolwich, although they both look a bit more solid right now. the results of the past seasons suggest we're better than Liverpool, but they are over us now. for all these reasons, i think top 5.5 is how i'd describe Spurs right now.

I think people are mistaking a 'TOP 5' club with the 'Big 5' from years gone by.... Back then, ourselves, ArseAnal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton were considered the BIG 5.... But I guess Everton and Us have been shunted out of the way by Man City and Chelsea...
We are very MUCH a Top 5 side at the moment based on recent league positions.... Yet Man Utd are 'only' a Top 6 side based on current League Position, but you wouldn't see a list of 'Top 5' clubs without their name on it!!

fine margins and context.... I believe THOSE are the themes of this season after all!!

I was trying to understand where we are………... Are we a Top 5 side - NO?
We are at best, the best side in the PL up to 5th spot. We are not amongst the established top 4 which rotates around 5 clubs. They seem to close ranks when we show signs of getting amongst them. We are not a top 5 club. Finishing 5th just eludes us into believing we can get amongst the best. This will never happen as things are. I dislike modern football with a passion but we need to embrace the modern ways if we want to improve. Getting a chairmen/sponsor who is willing to give money as quick as we can spend it, I'm sorry to say.

Rubbish, stop making it ambigious. The points over the last years speak for themselves. We are indeed a top 5 club, with a top away record and can achieve 70 points. But how can you push on from there when
1) the chairman keeps firing the manager every 18 months
2) the chairman REFUSES to bring in the right players ie: Leftback, striker and defender this window
3) We prioritize a mickey mouse cup that people refuse to accept is damaging our league chances.

We are a top 5 club on the verge of top 4 but will always miss out because the club is run by a chairman with a midtable mindset.

I would say Lloris, Walker, Verts, Sandro and Ade are ‘top 5 players’ ie most of the sides above us would be interested in having them involved in regular first team squads.

Eriksen and Paulinho have shown SOME signs of reaching this level but on performances so far, fall short. I think Lamela and Soldado, based purely on their records before us could reach that level though increasingly pessimistic.

That’s 5 proven, 9 max.

The others either fall short and should be viewed as backups like all these teams have (Dawson, Lennon, Dembele eg comparable with Lescott, Milner, Barry? Or more particularly our most direct rivals-Kolo Toure, Lucas, Moses). Or with some potential but nowhere near this level yet, and in my view unlikely to ever get there (Rose, Chiriches, Townsend, Bentaleb) and again probably deserve game time across the competitions over next season before taking a firm view.

Most of the others I would view as not particularly good enough to justify keeping and would happily move on if possible unless they are particularly low wages and so worth keeping as reserves. So that’s Chadli, Sig, Holtby, Naughton,.

Only one I can’t say for sure is Capoue as I’ve just not seen enough to judge either way whether he’s the next Sandro or Sean Davis.

Realistically, we remain, as we have for most of last few years, about 3 first team players short of being comparable with the top 4 and that gap generally gets wider once you consider the ridiculous depth of City and Chelski in particular. We are unlikely to ever compete with this and so the model will remain trying to sign a load of younger promising players and hoping for a certain ratio of Bale and Modric to set off against the inevitable 5 average signings.

I think people are mistaking a 'TOP 5' club with the 'Big 5' from years gone by.... Back then, ourselves, ArseAnal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Everton were considered the BIG 5.... But I guess Everton and Us have been shunted out of the way by Man City and Chelsea...
We are very MUCH a Top 5 side at the moment based on recent league positions.... Yet Man Utd are 'only' a Top 6 side based on current League Position, but you wouldn't see a list of 'Top 5' clubs without their name on it!!

fine margins and context.... I believe THOSE are the themes of this season after all!!

You would have to say though, if as you are arguing that league position isn't the only indicator that Liverpool should be in that top 5 in place of us..yes we have finished top 5 consistently over the last few seasons but this has been because the top 5 regulars have fucked up in some way...not taking away from our achievements but it does say something that we got our record points haul last season and yet only came 5th...it's seems our recent successes could be attributed to both our endeavour and others mistakes...

Who cares if we're a 'Top 5' side or not when only the Top 4 places matter? As of next season the difference between being 4th and 5th will be, on average, around £50-60m in earnings for the following season. The difference between 5th and the next 5 or 6 teams below that is more like £10m.

Top / Big 5... who cares? If you're not top 4 then you're at a massive financial disadvantage regardless. This is the big reason we need to go all out for a truly world class manager before we become completely unable to compete with clubs above us.

We are a top 5 side as the last four season have clearly shown, the problem is we are not a top 4 side right now and thats what keeps the players happy the golden nugget of CL football. I so hope we don't come 5th either 4th or 6th as I don't want any EL crap next year if possible. The net value of our team as far as sell value is certainly top 5.

Is there even such a thing as a "top five side"? Surely it's more teams that are competing for CL places, which was have successfully obtained twice (Chelscum's fluke win aside) and therefore we are. Since there's no such thing as a fixed status position in the league, what's the point of even having this debate?

For what it's worth: All time, yes. Last 4 years, yes. Today, yes
image.png

This thread makes me want to go out and cleanse the gene pool.
Christ, I know. Couple of years ago on this site if people talked half the bullshit about bringing in an oil sheikh to take over and spend money like City and Chelsea then they'd get laughed and flamed off of this forum.

If we had won on the weekend, we would have our record points haul since the prem started.

And that is playing badly with terrible Soldado, AM and winger stats. It was a hard loss to take, but I am not about to pretend we are shit.

For what it's worth: All time, yes. Last 4 years, yes. Today, yes
image.png
This the kind of nonsense that i believe we are eluding ourselves with? Look at our goal difference and points against the top 4? in fact, look at our record, its no better than some of the teams below us.

I guess, Citys record, since the last 4 seasons would be better than our also. They are the top 5 clubs and we are on the fringe.

Back
Top Bottom