Was the Chelsea victory a watershed moment?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not so sure that is a factor....

Since Besiktas we have played on the following dates: December: 14th, 17th, 20th, 26th, 28th. January 1st, 5th. 7 games in 23 days, biggest "rest" gap between the 20th and 26th. No different to having european matches thrown in between league games. (we played 6 games in 19 days leading up the 11th Dec, Besiktas).

I'd like to give the players and the manager a bit more credit than just to suggest we're playing well because we aren't playing an European games.

The difference is that the teams we were playing during December were also playing roughly the same busy schedule. The playing field was even as everyone had less rest and less time to prepare.

Not being thick (actually I am) but what is a watershed and why does it have its moments
"watershed" is used to describe the highest point or ridge dividing two valleys where rain falling on one side of the watershed will end up in one valley and rain falling on the other side will flow down into the other valley.
So to describe something as a "watershed moment" is to say that such a moment is the "decision point", the "point of no return", the "moment when the path forward is fixed". It implies that a crucial choice is to be made between two or more options and that once made the choice cannot be reversed or reconsidered.
Probably came from the German expression wasserscheide - or water divide or separate

It was the game where Poch and the players gave us a glimpse of what is to come in the future!
Watershed moment yes definitely!

The difference is that the teams we were playing during December were also playing roughly the same busy schedule. The playing field was even as everyone had less rest and less time to prepare.

The Chavs still made the excuse that they were too tired though as if we played less games than them, dirty barstards.

The Chavs still made the excuse that they were too tired though as if we played less games than them, dirty barstards.

I think they were tired because Mourinho hasn't rotated at all this year but that is a problem of their own making not the schedule.

I think they were tired because Mourinho hasn't rotated at all this year but that is a problem of their own making not the schedule.

Exactly, if you don't rotate you risk burn our and it's not like the rich fuckers have an excuse that they have limited back up, they have Remy and Drogba as replacement forwards for Costa alone.

"watershed" is used to describe the highest point or ridge dividing two valleys where rain falling on one side of the watershed will end up in one valley and rain falling on the other side will flow down into the other valley.
So to describe something as a "watershed moment" is to say that such a moment is the "decision point", the "point of no return", the "moment when the path forward is fixed". It implies that a crucial choice is to be made between two or more options and that once made the choice cannot be reversed or reconsidered.
Probably came from the German expression wasserscheide - or water divide or separate
Cheers great explanation and intreastingly enough no actual sheds involved. I always knew the meaning contextually just never knew the etymology of the phrase.

Not being thick (actually I am) but what is a watershed and why does it have its moments

th

I thought our previous watershed moment was the Everton game? We then got the piss beat out of us by the chavs next and then tied Crystal Palace at home.

I think the point is that declaring what is a watershed moment directly after a game is not a really smart idea.

Cheers great explanation and intreastingly enough no actual sheds involved. I always knew the meaning contextually just never knew the etymology of the phrase.
Bizarrely scheide in German is the word for vagina
although in that context its a derivative of scheiden which is divorce or separate
so logically - the Shed at stamford bridge..........
is full of cunts!

I thought our previous watershed moment was the Everton game? We then got the(1) piss beat out of us by the chavs next and then (2) tied Crystal Palace at home.

I think the point is that declaring what is a watershed moment directly after a game is not a really smart idea.

(1) shit beaten
(2) drew with
bloody colonials......
:)

Bizarrely scheide in German is the word for vagina
although in that context its a derivative of scheiden which is divorce or separate
so logically - the Shed at stamford bridge..........
is full of cunts!
The shed is full of bludcluts. (unsuccessfully kisses teath in embarrassingly white middle class way)

Last edited:
I think it was hugely important in terms of helping the players have confidence in Pochettino. It will also hopefully improve player morale, as it was a team effort and should help develop the respect the players have for each other.

Oh and, as always, fuck Chelsea.

I'm not so sure that is a factor....

Since Besiktas we have played on the following dates: December: 14th, 17th, 20th, 26th, 28th. January 1st, 5th. 7 games in 23 days, biggest "rest" gap between the 20th and 26th. No different to having european matches thrown in between league games. (we played 6 games in 19 days leading up the 11th Dec, Besiktas).

I'd like to give the players and the manager a bit more credit than just to suggest we're playing well because we aren't playing an European games.

I think some people think it's fashionable to blame Europa League for under-par performances,

Back
Top Bottom