Walter Tull Military Cross Petition. Please get behind it!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For those of you not familiar with ex-Spurs player Walter Tull.
In 1908 Walter's talents were discovered by a scout from Tottenham Hotspur and the club decided to sign this promising young footballer. He played for Tottenham until 1910, when he was transferred for a large fee to Northampton Town. Walter was the first Black outfield player to play professional football in Britain.

Below is a E-petition for him to be awarded a posthumous Military Cross for service and acts of bravery he was responsible for in the First World War. He wasn't awarded it due to 'The Manual of Military Law forbade men not of 'pure European descent' from becoming officers'.

Racism is quite topical at the minute and I don't want this thread to descend into a debate about that, but there are quite a few ex-service personnel in the Spurs support and I thought it would be of interest to civilians as well.

Sign it if you want or share it on your own pages. Out of respect, if you don't agree with any of this post please do not start a debate below.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41209

Award Walter Tull his posthumous Military Cross - e-petitions
epetitions.direct.gov.uk
This petition calls upon the government to posthumously award Walter Tull the Military Cross for which he was recommended.Walter was the first black outfield player in football's top flight and the first black soldier to become an

I hate wankers who show with "sign this, fill out that" bullishit and never post again...but on this occasion, because of the cause, I will indulge you.

I hate wankers who show with "sign this, fill out that" bullishit and never post again...but on this occasion, because of the cause, I will indulge you.
Dislike? Why can’t I dislike?

(In general - not this particular post - it just happens it got ‘disliked’. An option I don’t seem to have :()

Edit. Oh. I see the threads several years old ..

Last edited:
There are other threads but this is the first one I came across Walter Tulls portrait is going to be etched on a beach in Ayrshire! Not sure where bbc news mentioned it this morning as part of the 11/11/18 rememberence also said he was the first coloured officer to lead a white battalion.

lEAD0dL.jpg

My mate sent me that photo. It was on the beach at Ayr.
Apparently (I didn't know this) Rangers had agreed to sign Walter Tull, once the War finished, but obviously never played as he died at the Somme.
Would like to see honoured in some way at the new place

Back
Top Bottom