'Wacky' Chelsea Photoshopping: A Humble Plea

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Smoked Salmon said:
For me, getting into the CL is actually more of an achievement than winning it.
The one part you missed is that getting in is an achievement also because of the doors it opens in the transfer market. It won't be "easier" for Chelsea to get whatever player it wants now that we saw what happened last night.

I've said elsewhere that I'm not particularly bothered about Chelsea's winning the CL except as to how it meant that Spurs would not be in the competition. Flags fly forever and all that, but the fact is that nice guys don't always finish first. In fact, the cliché is that they always finish last.

Getting into the CL persistently, however, means you're a "serious" club with real "ambition" and, hence, you can attract better players. I know I'm repeating myself, and I'm sure we're in agreement on this, but yeah.

Thelonious said:
It'd definitely help, we wouldn't have got 250 fans for Charlton midweek if it cost £25 though.

Fans do love the club, I just think right now we need to process what's happened before we can start bigging up the EL.

Like I said, the damage was done months ago, and thats the only thing Im angered by. Im angered by what we did to ourselves, not what happened in a neutral game.

We didnt lose the final yesterday. The only thing to process is not being in the CL next season...I can handle that.

Éperons said:
Smoked Salmon said:
The one part you missed is that getting in is an achievement also because of the doors it opens in the transfer market. It won't be "easier" for Chelsea to get whatever player it wants now that we saw what happened last night.

I've said elsewhere that I'm not particularly bothered about Chelsea's winning the CL except as to how it meant that Spurs would not be in the competition. Flags fly forever and all that, but the fact is that nice guys don't always finish first. In fact, the cliché is that they always finish last.

Getting into the CL persistently, however, means you're a "serious" club with real "ambition" and, hence, you can attract better players. I know I'm repeating myself, and I'm sure we're in agreement on this, but yeah.

Getting in requires a top 4 finish. We got that, but missed out by default. We were ONE point off 3rd.

If a player looks at Chelsea, and feels that one cup run > 38 games, then he must be stupid.

sammyspurs said:
Thelonious said:
It'd definitely help, we wouldn't have got 250 fans for Charlton midweek if it cost £25 though.

Fans do love the club, I just think right now we need to process what's happened before we can start bigging up the EL.

Like I said, the damage was done months ago, and thats the only thing Im angered by. Im angered by what we did to ourselves, not what happened in a neutral game.

We didnt lose the final yesterday. The only thing to process is not being in the CL next season...I can handle that.
you can handle it but clearly most people aren't ready to do so.

Fair enough.

Then they can mope around feeling inadequate until we get to the semis, then jump on the bandwagen and go nuts if we win it.....then start rubbing it in the gooners faces.

Sigh

sammyspurs said:
Fair enough.

Then they can mope around feeling inadequate until we get to the semis, then jump on the bandwagen and go nuts if we win it.....then start rubbing it in the gooners faces.

Sigh
:ledley:

Thelonious said:
I don't think any of our home EL games sold out. I went to every home game.

All the more reason the club should review the ticket prices. Even my loose grasp of economics means that I know a stable revenue stream on the tickets is more than counterbalanced in food/merchandise...

...somebody have a word with Levy and get me the FD's job...

You have to set the prices for the entire tournament from the start - Levy won't lower the prices for the group games as it means he'll miss out on the revenue from the latter stages (assuming we are there) which will easily sell out

Blanchflower said:
You have to set the prices for the entire tournament from the start
Interesting. I don't think it works that way in France, as I seem to recall that last year, the Europa League games for PSG got pricier as they got closer to winning it.

Éperons said:
Smoked Salmon said:

Oh, we're in total agreement. I've been saying this for ages. I think you are exactly right, which is why I could never agree with those a few months ago who'd keep saying "I'd rather win the FA Cup than get into the CL because the latter isn't a trophy". It's basic common sense that as you become a "serious club", to use your term, then your chance of getting the best players, and therefore winning silverware, is exponentially increased.

sammyspurs said:
If a player looks at Chelsea, and feels that one cup run > 38 games, then he must be stupid.
I think that if a player looks at Chelsea and Roman says "I'll pay you £250k a week", 6th place doesn't bother him that much, especially if he's still going to be playing in the CL next year.

Really, our attraction is for players who aren't too obsessed with funds, but can see us up there competing.

If the likes of Modric and Bale go on the premise of wanting CL football then it shows just how shallow they are. It's clear that we are up there competing and, at the start of the season, the chances that we could get 4th spot and not get CL were about 2%. Get 4th next year and you can bet we'll be in the CL. Where potential signings are concernded it really is a case of whether or not they want a chance to get CL football next year, or just take the east route and earn big bucks.

Smoked Salmon said:
the chances that we could get 4th spot and not get CL were about 2%.
Is there a site that does historical odds? I can't believe it would've even have been 2%.

P1 = the chance of Spurs finishing 4th
P2a = the chance of Chelsea winning the CL
P2b = the chance of Chelsea finishing outside the top 4
P3 = same as above for Man U

So you're looking at P1 x P2a x P2b. Can't imagine that is was as likely as 50-1! The odds are helped that it didn't have to be Chelsea specifically that hit (hence P3, P4, etc.), but, still...

On the other hand, Poland are currently 50-1 shots to win the Euros. Which would strike you as less likely, that or the above?

Back
Top Bottom