vdV sold for £15m?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm a big fan of Jermain as a supporting striker, especially against park the bus teams, and when VdV isn't scoring I tend to question his overall usefulness to the team.

However, every time I start to question Rafa I fall in love with him all over again so I'm careful of what I wish for. He loves the shirt and shuts the gooners up so that's good enough for me. I'd rather Luka left than Rafa considering the price to value ratio.

Strongly disagree. When Van der Vaart is fit and on form he is a player that can turn up and win a match just about on his own. He has that little bit of shooting quality that we can lack at times. He has definitely struggled for a couple months I'd say but I think he would be a difficult player to replace, contrary to what most are suggesting.

VDV game doesn't revolve around pace at all more a superior reading of the game and top level passing ability. He'll beable to play top level footy well into his 30s

Already posted this on front page.

Love Rafa. Understand where you’re coming from but I’d turn it down for two good reasons. #1: I think we could get more for him than 15mil in the summer, and #2: He fucking loves playing for Spurs.

He’s not holding us back, he’s just not propping us up anymore. It’s incredibly difficult to find an attacking player of his caliber that, A: wants to play for spurs and, B: that isn’t on 100+ k per week. Injuries are holding him back, but he’s still a class player that fits in well with the team.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Or, I guess we could spend 20 million on Tevez and break our wage cap for another class player in a similar role. Not bashful about offering my opinion on who i’d prefer there!

I'm sure there were discussions like this over the Summer regarding Modric (albeit in the £50m+ bracket) ...it's a choice, certainly, take the money while we can, or keep hold... as with Modric, VdV is a 'special' player... a modern-day Ginola (though not quite the same position) and it's more about the message it sends out to hold onto him, than any financial benefit we'd get by selling...

Keep him for as long as possible - or at least until his star wanes... the rest will take care of itself!

OP, I think you have a nicely crafted argument. He certainly isn't the linchpin to the squad like last year, but he plays a pivotal enough role that I'd be sad to see him go. His work rate is top notch, and he's a very sound, tactical footballer. His crosses are superb, and he plays on both sides of the pitch.

He might not have the greatest of endurance, but when he's running himself down to the ground every match, I can't fault him for being pulled early. I think his chemistry with the squad is something that can't be overlooked if you're going after another player, either. Who would we bring in/call up to replace him that plays a similar style to not have a drop off for an extended period of time?

If Levy did sell him, it'd be to bring in a top talent in another position. I know it's a hypothetical, but if Luka bolts this summer then I don't think we'd sell Rafa, even if Levy did receive a 15 mil offer. Who knows, though, Levy is shrewd and is savvier than some think.

:levylol: imagine if we sold you, rafa!
:harryblow: blimey, well i'll ask him, but...
:vdv: it is possible, yes... i think about it, no?
:levystare: Maybe, for 15 million...
:vdv: If i go to big club then i say ja, no?
:harrylick: Looks like JJ might get a look in. What do you think?
:defoe: whatever you say guv...
:levywtf: I shall sell him to Woolwich for a great price.
:vdvcry:
:levylol: gotcha!
:bae: LOL

This is how it will go down.

tmacspurs said:
This is how it will go down.
Surprise ending had me in stitches. Though why couldn't BAE be present at every chairman's meeting, just rocking out in the corner, waiting for his moment to shine?

the problem with VDV is that he seemingly refuses to admit his fitness problems and accept a rotating role, which suit him and us so much better. i bet there's been a few matches Harry didn't want to play him but felt he had to to keep him happy, or subbed him later than he should have.

but I wouldn't want him to go, rafa's the most technically gifted player at the club, if only he was an athlete too

Thelonious said:
Blanchflower said:
Thelonious said:
he's not scored against either Manchester team or Chelsea though. [/devilsadvocate]

Who does..........Bale that's about it......
Sandro, Modric, Defoe

images

Back
Top Bottom