VdV Revelation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Van der Vaart says he left Tottenham because of bad start with Villas Boas

Rafael Van der Vaart was always likely to return to Hamburg for the end of his career so him moving back to the Bundesliga was never really a surprise. That he went as soon as last summer and left Tottenham aged just 29 was perhaps a little more odd and when rumours first started about a return to Hamburg last summer, many Spurs fans laughed them off as press speculation.

Van der Vaart has spoken this week to Voetbal International (see left) about his transfer and why it was the right time to go, and he's explained that he just didn't feel a big enough part of the new Tottenham manager's plans. The comments from him may be slightly disingenuous because in Germany they'd been reporting a chance of him going to Hamburg even before Villas Boas took over. The gist at the time was that he wanted to be closer to his wife, but that hasn't proved to be a good thing for the couple who have now separated after a public fight.

"With Villas Boas I had a false start. While with HSV I just felt as though she really needed me... It was a club in need. And I wanted to help.
"During our first conversation (with AVB) he hinted that I had to fight for my place. That in itself is not a problem. I have enough confidence in my abilities. But until that time I was 'the guy' at The Spurs. The contrast with the way Villas-Boas saw it, it was just too big. The club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.
"In the same period HSV knocked at the door again. Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson, but then I had already made ​​my choice. About the club I have no evil words, the atmosphere was great, we had a good team, there is a club being built."
The Dutchman has had a good return with Hamburg but has been hampered by injury, something that has followed his career to a certain degree. Sigurdsson has been used primarily as a substitute and only started 6 Premier League games, but at 23 he has time to improve on that.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...e-left-tottenham-because-of-bad-start-with-vi

Never thought Id say it but jog on Rafa....this club isnt about you. You wanna be "The Guy", then you made the right choice by going back to Hamburg.

We need players who want make a team.

Should have had a chat with Lennon and Defoe to see how a pro keeps his head down, mouth shut and fights for his place.

It was sad at the time and we all still miss him at times but what's done is done and it was definitely for the best. No way would he have sat on the bench anyway!

Never thought Id say it but jog on Rafa....this club isnt about you. You wanna be "The Guy", then you made the right choice by going back to Hamburg.

We need players who want make a team.

Should have had a chat with Lennon and Defoe to see how a pro keeps his head down, mouth shut and fights for his place.

This ^^

He was a cracking player, for the 60 odd minutes he was on the pitch. But this shows that really he wasn't going to pull for the team and we were right to ship him on.

Also nice to see your weird avatar back Sammy.

It was sad at the time and we all still miss him at times but what's done is done and it was definitely for the best. No way would he have sat on the bench anyway!

He wouldn't have been on the bench, imv - probably in place of Dempsey, etc. (whom might even not have been here in the end)

I remember numerous debates whether this was a Levy / AVB decision or whether the player himself pushed for the door - but at the end of the day, we need players who want to be here

I sort of don't blame him tbh. They worship him at Hamburg and he looks and thinks "an uncertain future where I might not get to play much or a guaranteed starting place at a club I love that is struggling but has great potential".

It was pretty amazing having him as a Spurs player and at the same time, we're in a great position after he's moved on. No complaints about what he's saying here really. Plus, we'll always remember this :vdvshh:

Sounds like a pretty… amicable? split. We're doing ok without him, and he's doing ok without us. That he's beset with injuries is part of why I'm not terribly bothered...

The most interesting part for me is about Gylfi.

"the club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.

"Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson".

Back
Top Bottom