Unstoppable force (Watford) vs Immovable object (Spurs) Sunday 2 September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After a calamitous summer and failing to sign any new players, homeless Tottenham will be desperate to avoid defeat at Watford as their crisis season continues.

The animosity towards Spurs on The Hornets Nest forum is a bit peculiar. Yet another team that wants to make us some sort of 'rival'.

I suppose that comes from having Luton as your big derby.

After such a resounding win on Monday, I'm fully expecting for it to go tits up against Watford. But that's just me, old habits die hard.
I don't think that it's going to be as easy as some people seem to think.
Let's just keep it going boys, going into the international break with a 100 per cent record would be bloomin' brilliant .

After such a resounding win on Monday, I'm fully expecting for it to go tits up against Watford. But that's just me, old habits die hard.
I don't think that it's going to be as easy as some people seem to think.
Let's just keep it going boys, going into the international break with a 100 per cent record would be bloomin' brilliant .
9 more consecutive wins and we beat our own record!
Added bonus would be that with 36 points we would probably be safe from relegation

Last edited:
This is the sort of game that we'd lose in the past after the high of smashing a top team.

In a way, this is a bigger and more important game than last week as thisd show us where we are at.

The signs have been there in previous matches. Newcastle hit the post and bar. Utd were the better team in the first half.Fulham had their chances...This result should not come as a total shock to anyone.

Long first post incoming...

I think the players have not adapted their mindset this season the way Poch has. He's not wearing the training tracksuit anymore, he wears a suit every game, he is reintegrating all the players who were on the transfer list, he is not sugar-coating his assessment of performances. We are not a young up-and-coming team anymore, we are a top 3 regular and it's time to become serious contenders. It's time to win trophies and not just gloss over defeats and dropped points by saying "massive effort, maybe we deserved more, etc".

Of course we are still not in peak physical condition after the WC but there should still be an intensity to our performances. When a team like Watford just sit there and stand still for 45 minutes like they did in the first half, we should be going all out to kill the game. Poch is absolutely right that the aggression wasn't there, and when Watford eventually decided they would try and win the game we were stuck in flip-flop mode. You can always lose a game of football but you should never lose because of a lack of effort. Was that really the best offensive play we could muster in the first half? Were those two easy headers lost really the best we can expect from 3 top class CBs?

Long-term this silly result might help us but only if the players are serious about competing for the title. It takes blood, sweat and tears to do that. Talking about the title after winning 3-0 at Old Trafford is all well and good but it makes you look like twats when you throw away a win against Watford 6 days later. Like Poch has been saying, perception and reality are often very different and on another day we could have lost all the matches we played this season. In every single one we had the ball hit our woodwork, opponents miss open goals etc. Our current level of performance is not going to be enough, the players must give much more if they want to be contenders.

Well that was disappointing.

First of all, well done to Watford. They simply wanted it more, and really we got what we deserved.

I didn’t think we were that bad in the first half. Pretty predictable for most of it, but we had them pegged back and I was confident that it was only a matter of time before we went in front. However, once we got the OG it all went downhill. Piss poor defending, and no fight to get back in the game. From Pochettino down, we just didn’t look very interested.

As for the reactions on here, I’m certainly not going to judge anyone for getting angry. I find the white knights of eternal happiness more annoying than those responding emotionally to what is an emotional sport. It was pretty much inevitable that the frustrations from the transfer window would come to the surface at the first poor result.

658.0.0.png

Poch’s in game management

We were always going to drop points sooner or later. And the season is long. But this performance irks me. Uninterested and uninspiring. Time for the lads to go on a international break and recharge.

Fair play to Watford who put in a shift and did well. We need to get a sports psychologist on staff because us dropping points to "lesser" teams after a big win is starting to become a habit

Good to see some level headed posts, mistakes cost us and Watford were decent that’s why they have won 4/4, not this one off, disappointing performance

We were never going to win 38 games, life isn’t like that, onto the next game COYS

Back
Top Bottom