(Unpopular Opinion) we need a major rebuild at the end of this season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree, sack a proven winner of a manager, Conte, the man who dragged us back into the CL when it looked like an utter dud of a season, a man who is currently 2nd in win ratio % in our history of management, just so we can get the most out of the world renowned trio of Sarr, Gil and Spence.

It's so obvious guys.

You just know how clueless a crop of this fanbase is when they ask to sack probably the best manager we’ve had in the Premier League era because he hasn’t played football 'the Spurs way' or whatever it is.

If the second half of this season is a mirror image of the first half of the season, then I think we will need a major revamp.

1) Sack Conte and get Poch
2) Sell Kane
3) Sell Son
4) Sell Moura
5) Sell Emerson

Afford Poch the same amount of resources as Conte…

Expect 2-3 years of rebuild (winning nothing) and maybe no Champions League.

We need a major rebuild in our fanbase

I was wondering who we’d have to replace Enic with to make this all happen.

All that’s left seems to be Kuwait, Dubai or the Taliban. And maybe a Nigerian prince.
STOP PRESS:

New 2023-24 women's kit announced.

#NeverRed

CMB-006-WHITE_1_large_m.jpg

I was wondering who we’d have to replace Enic with to make this all happen.

All that’s left seems to be Kuwait, Dubai or the Taliban. And maybe a Nigerian prince.

Funny you say that....

I got an email this morning...... You could be onto something here. :freund:

Last edited:
Thing is, I can see that we might want a back 4 and high pressing philosophy (indeed think success is impossible without and that Conte therefore can't win). I can see that it might be worth cashing in on Kane and Son as they can't deliver a high press, whatever their other merits.

But in your model, we give Poch the same money and he finishes 6th two season on the bounce and all of our patient fan base sing together in his praise?

Another "bring back Poch and everything will be gucchi" thread when things aren't even that bad.

Christ alive we're almost as bad as the United fans clamoring for Ferguson.

While I don’t think blowing everything up and starting over is logical, I am concerned about where we are as a club.

Son and Kane are either declining or on short contracts and the succession plans we have for them are not clear unless we plan to use Richarlison at #9. But then we’d need a quality backup 9 and have to revise our game plan to actually put balls in the box.

We can’t lose both for free. We wouldn’t have enough money to buy replacements and our defense absolutely needs investment.

Why do people seem so convinced Kane and Son are declining?
Kane hasn’t started a season like this in years or ever. Son was golden boot last season. So a slow 15 games for Son and both of them are done and their legs have gone??

I don't really see these things as rebuilds. It's more like a lump of clay that's always being re-sculpted year after year. Top managers have the luck, alchemy, money and talent to shape the Venus de Milo; pretenders manage Lionel Richie's head. But it is always evolving, even under the same manager. They have no control over many elements such as injuries. The best they can hope is that they're backed by the board and the fans and manage to find that crack combination of troops to have a pop at titles and trophies.

What you don't do is flatten everything because that's - as my grandad used to eloquently put it - fucking mental.
Can't recall which artist said it that claimed "No picture is ever finished " football teams are the same.

Why do people seem so convinced Kane and Son are declining?
Kane hasn’t started a season like this in years or ever. Son was golden boot last season. So a slow 15 games for Son and both of them are done and their legs have gone??
If you read carefully, I didn’t say Kane was declining. He’s declined in mobility but has offset it in other areas. But he’s down to 18 months on his contract.

Son on the other hand can’t take players on anymore and his passing and control are so bad, it means he’s just a poacher when he can’t dribble. While he’s still fast in specific moments, he doesn’t have 90 minutes worth of energy that we need to actually be able to press… especially when playing with Kane.

Posted this in the son thread a while back:

Here is his successful dribbles that lead to a shot.
2017: 17 (2062 min)
2018: 15 (2317)
2019: 14 (2039)
2020: 8 (2476)
2021: 2 (3114)
2022: 3 (1030)

We can see double the # of dribbles in 50% less time from 2017-19.

This one is a better stat IMO as it’s a higher sample size stat. His total successful dribbles stats per 90 (success %)
2017: 2.53 (57%)
2018: 1.87 (57%)
2019: 2.74 (57%)
2020: 1.42 (54%)
2021: 1.48 (55%)
2022: 0.79 (and 36% success rate, yikes)

I expect son to improve these numbers a bit as they can’t get much worse, but I don’t see him ever returning to a near prime level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom