UEFA Champions League 2023/2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You don't need to be that smart to work out why they've done it, I literally said it in my previous post - it's obviously to make matches more entertaining, how many goals do you think you'd have seen this week if we still had away goals?
Absolutely 0 mate, you’re so right, scraping away goals rule has done so much for football 🤡

It's okay if you want to support the scum in the Champions League but shut up about it here.
You'll be pissed if we finish 5th by a hair and we "lose" that extra space.
Obviously I don't want Arse or Spam doing well, but them doing well could really, really help us in a total flip of when Chelsea fucked us and set us back a few years.

You'll be pissed if we finish 5th by a hair and we "lose" that extra space.

Nope. I don't want to get a place in the Champions League only because other teams have done well in tournaments my team doesn't participate in. I want my team to get a place in the Champions League because it has earned it.

Nope. I don't want to get a place in the Champions League only because other teams have done well in tournaments my team doesn't participate in. I want my team to get a place in the Champions League because it has earned it.
I want my team to get paid and use that money to get better. I want my team to play against Real, Bayern, PSG, Juve, not FC Carriebag.
I want my games to be on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Not 5.15pm on a Thursday.

I want my team to get paid and use that money to get better. I want my team to play against Real, Bayern, PSG, Juve, not FC Carriebag.
I want my games to be on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. Not 5.15pm on a Thursday.

Me too. But not in any way possible.

We have participated, done well and added to the coefficient to for the PL to be awarded the extra place

By doing so and finishing no less than 5th we will have earned the right to participate

No?

Or...............

3-3 draw for City v Real, 2-2 draw for Woolwich v Bayern. 10 goals were scored, but none of them meant anything. Both matches may as well have ended 0-0.
There is Zero added jeopardy for the 2nd leg, and zero consequences from the 1st leg.

The strong likelihood is because it's all square the 2nd legs could well be cagey bore fests, which is why away goals were brought in in the first place.
They meant it was a draw at half time. I don't understand they meant nothing. If we want artificial added jepody lets introduce a coin toss for a goal.

Away goals was brought in to stop defending when there was a huge bias in getting results at home in Europe , that's not there anymore and why they got rid of away goals.

By that logic 3rd or 4th shouldn't get CL either because Prem teams have done well in Europe our co-efficients over the years are so good they it means that 3rd and 4th are formality for CL football.

By that logic 3rd or 4th shouldn't get CL either because Prem teams have done well in Europe our co-efficients over the years are so good they it means that 3rd and 4th are formality for CL football.

Im not even gonna explain why thats not the same thing.

I have already said that you can support Woolwich if thats what you want but i maintain that you shouldn't do it here.

Im not even gonna explain why thats not the same thing.

I have already said that you can support Woolwich if thats what you want but i maintain that you shouldn't do it here.

It is, the co-efficients are an accumulation of how well each team has done in Europe for their country, had English teams not done well in the past then they wouldn't be in a position to have a chance of taking 5 teams to the CL, it's all relitave to each other and that's exactly how 3rd and 4th teams got CL places so essentially 5th place has earned the right to play in the CL even if the optics look different.

Having that said I'd rather we not get help from anyone this season as I want to finish 4th and I think we're good enough but it is what it is.

They meant it was a draw at half time. I don't understand they meant nothing. If we want artificial added jepody lets introduce a coin toss for a goal.

Away goals was brought in to stop defending when there was a huge bias in getting results at home in Europe , that's not there anymore and why they got rid of away goals.
The greatest CL games (collectively and consistently) ever played have been with away goals in the mix.

Hhhmmmm.........Only 3 away wins last year from (and Inc) Quarter Finals to the Final last year. (and they were against the worst performing teams left in comp Chavs (12th in PL), Benfica (although in fairness the 2nd leg game was a fun 3-3 with a flurry of late goals), Milan (4th in Serie A but miles off the pace as they were terrible, although Conte didn't think so), Those that went through was largely achieved by winning at home and drawing away.

The greatest CL games (collectively and consistently) ever played have been with away goals in the mix.

Hhhmmmm.........Only 3 away wins last year from (and Inc) Quarter Finals to the Final last year. (and they were against the worst performing teams left in comp Chavs (12th in PL), Benfica (although in fairness the 2nd leg game was a fun 3-3 with a flurry of late goals), Milan (4th in Serie A but miles off the pace as they were terrible, although Conte didn't think so), Those that went through was largely achieved by winning at home and drawing away.

Why was the away goals rule abandoned?

Statistics from the mid-1970s until 2020/21 showed a clear trend of continuous reduction in the gap between the number of home/away wins (from 61%/19% to 47%/30%) and the average number of goals per match scored at home/away (from 2.02/0.95 to 1.58/1.15) in men's competitions.

Why was the away goals rule abandoned?

Statistics from the mid-1970s until 2020/21 showed a clear trend of continuous reduction in the gap between the number of home/away wins (from 61%/19% to 47%/30%) and the average number of goals per match scored at home/away (from 2.02/0.95 to 1.58/1.15) in men's competitions.
Meh that’s the spin put out by UEFA when they announced they were ditching it. No idea why they included Cup Winners Cup stats, total different comp.

For me perhaps the only tweek could have been with extra time, this is where I think the main advantage favours the 2nd leg home team. So do away with extra time and apply away goals

Meh that’s the spin put out by UEFA when they announced they were ditching it. No idea why they included Cup Winners Cup stats, total different comp.

For me perhaps the only tweek could have been with extra time, this is where I think the main advantage favours the 2nd leg home team. So do away with extra time and apply away goals
It's not spin. The home advantage is a lot less impactful compared to what it was.

I prefer it this way. I think it improves the second leg and doesn't give a win based upon factors off the pitch.

The games were good. It also means both teams will play in the next leg, with away goals BM /City would try and sit on the "lead" and if they score the games as good as dead. No away goals should lead to a better 2nd leg.

I prefer this way.

Only 'issue' I have is extra time benefits the home team in the second leg but not too bothered

So it only benefits the neutral fan

Back
Top Bottom