UEFA Champions League 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The ESA have fielded another suggested change to the CL.
They suggest that the group stage be removed and replaced with a straight up 32 team league. Each team plays 10 games against 10 different opponents. The 8 best teams directly qualify for the knock out stages and the remaining teams face off in a play off over two legs to select the 8 remaining teams.

Knock out stages remain unchanged.

They suggest that the group stage be removed and replaced with a straight up 32 team league. Each team plays 10 games against 10 different opponents. The 8 best teams directly qualify for the knock out stages and the remaining teams face off in a play off over two legs to select the 8 remaining teams.

And, the kicker, anyone who makes the last 16 automatically qualifies for the next season's group stage.

The stuff coming from the elite clubs in Spain and Italy (others too, but they always seem to be the ringleaders) is always that they don't want to have to compete in their domestic leagues to guarantee European riches.

They want a breakaway Super League, but they'll settle for fielding reserve sides in the league, moved to midweek as much as possible with the glittering CL showpieces on the weekend, with the easier path to global TV audience above all else in mind.

Fight this. Scorn it. Speak up. These people are hell bent on destroying football.

Luckily for us the PL and Germany are still anti a breakaway league - cant see this happening.

fdt3gkwe25441.jpg

Perfect as for the European super league the yanks and the tv companies so desperately want tho

Don't drag us into this. No US fan of a PL team I know would be in favor of this, to say nothing of the harm it would do to MLS.

Which is ultimately a big force against it. Yes, foreign TV audiences would probably lap up a Euro Super League, but the football powers that be in those countries are all aware that this would mean total colonization of their domestic market. It's a different sort of threat than summer friendlies which are (arguably) symbiotic to the local game.

Don't drag us into this. No US fan of a PL team I know would be in favor of this, to say nothing of the harm it would do to MLS.

Which is ultimately a big force against it. Yes, foreign TV audiences would probably lap up a Euro Super League, but the football powers that be in those countries are all aware that this would mean total colonization of their domestic market. It's a different sort of threat than summer friendlies which are (arguably) symbiotic to the local game.

I meant the Yank owners of football teams rather than your average blue collar American.

Guys tonight I have had a relapse and watched the ajax highlights again.
I'm not proud of it and I am trying to go off the stuff but cant help it.

It feels better I told someone, thanks for listening.

Back
Top Bottom