U-18/U-21/Loans/Development Squad (2011-2018)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come Georgio, or what ever his name his, hardly appears for the U23 but Poch takes him and TOB to sit on the full side’s bench?
He is in that weird stage were he is ranked as too good for the U23s but not good enough for a proper spot in the first team I guess. Could do with a loan.

Hardly a regular starter when you look at previous lineups. He sometimes starts, more often on the bench, and sometimes out of the squad
I'm confident that McDermott and Poch are joined up. It's almost impossible to really know what our approach/plan is, so we are left to 2nd guess the plan. But TOB is training with first team and is included and travels with the first team on match days (even when not officially named in squad), these I believe are the actions of a player being assimilated into our match day routines and preparations, getting familiar to the team which is a close unit. There obviously has been a change of attitude towards loaning players, then again maybe not. What if CCV, Onomah, Edwards et al are in fact sold in the summer?? If so then TOB is in a good place, better than those out on loan????

Need time still to learn and view what we do, I think this summer will become a lot clearer with our strategy.

I'm confident that McDermott and Poch are joined up. It's almost impossible to really know what our approach/plan is, so we are left to 2nd guess the plan. But TOB is training with first team and is included and travels with the first team on match days (even when not officially named in squad), these I believe are the actions of a player being assimilated into our match day routines and preparations, getting familiar to the team which is a close unit. There obviously has been a change of attitude towards loaning players, then again maybe not. What if CCV, Onomah, Edwards et al are in fact sold in the summer?? If so then TOB is in a good place, better than those out on loan????

Need time still to learn and view what we do, I think this summer will become a lot clearer with our strategy.
Sterling and Georgieu are also getting the TOB treatment so those three have to be considered the youth players to be the closest to actually playing with the first team. But Sterling still gets playing time with the U23s as well

Sterling and Georgieu are also getting the TOB treatment so those three have to be considered the youth players to be the closest to actually playing with the first team. But Sterling still gets playing time with the U23s as well
Each on their individual plans no doubt?? Truth I think is we just don't know. We don't know who is perceived good enough (mentally, physically) or whether we see trading our youth talents is a way forward. I forget the exact figure but we've earned around the £100m mark from the sale of players who with the exception of Bentaleb never held down a place in the first team or never made the first team. One year we are led to believe if you are out on loan then that would mean you're being sold, to now a change of out on loan doesn't mean this. Only time will tell.

We clearly have a manager not afraid of putting in a young player but in reality only Kane and Winks are academy products. Still need time to assess how this unfolds to see how we operate, also whether it's a deliberate strategy or one that is forced by the products we are producing (good enough/not good enough).

Poch has said that with our improvement in the table it has also become harder to just slot in a youth player since the expectations have gotten higher. The fans now expect every youth player coming in to operate on a Kane or Winks level, and a guy who is probably more on level with Tom Carroll or Ryan Mason is going to be judged much more harshley.

It is a fine line to walk

Poch has said that with our improvement in the table it has also become harder to just slot in a youth player since the expectations have gotten higher. The fans now expect every youth player coming in to operate on a Kane or Winks level, and a guy who is probably more on level with Tom Carroll or Ryan Mason is going to be judged much more harshley.

That's just covering the fact no one else has come through. We've challenged for two titles with the opposite statement/intent. We aren't challenging for the title this year whilst buying players in. I'm not having a pop at him but right now those statements don't hold any water unless we are challenging for the title again, with new signings pushing the performance on. Onomah would do no worse than Sissoko, and I doubt the likes of Harrison, Georgiou, would do no worse than N'je & GKN for example.

Again, I'm not having a pop but one minute the academy is the key to our progress and relative success and players have a clear pathway to the first team and it's part of our DNA, the next it's up in the air and we aren't to sure as we see us bring in players no better to those we have in the academy.

That's just covering the fact no one else has come through. We've challenged for two titles with the opposite statement/intent. We aren't challenging for the title this year whilst buying players in. I'm not having a pop at him but right now those statements don't hold any water unless we are challenging for the title again, with new signings pushing the performance on. Onomah would do no worse than Sissoko, and I doubt the likes of Harrison, Georgiou, would do no worse than N'je & GKN for example.

Again, I'm not having a pop but one minute the academy is the key to our progress and relative success and players have a clear pathway to the first team and it's part of our DNA, the next it's up in the air and we aren't to sure as we see us bring in players no better to those we have in the academy.
Agree with this. Poch has a reputation for bringing through kids into 1st teams, but with the exception of Winks it seems to be an undeserved one at Spurs.

Bit frustrating. Sounds like we've never had such a great selection of kids to chose from. Combine that with us building an £800m (or whatever) stadium. You'd think now more than any time to give KWP some proper game time, ditto Onomah (in the right position pls).

Well in that case you need to polish them at hard loans (even abroad). It will become harder to integrate them next year (unless Poch can alleviate the pressure with silverware this season).

Agree with this. Poch has a reputation for bringing through kids into 1st teams, but with the exception of Winks it seems to be an undeserved one at Spurs.

Bit frustrating. Sounds like we've never had such a great selection of kids to chose from. Combine that with us building an £800m (or whatever) stadium. You'd think now more than any time to give KWP some proper game time, ditto Onomah (in the right position pls).
I think his reputation should be lauded, with us it might only be Kane and Winks but he isn't adverse to buying and putting a young player into the team (Dele, GKN, N'Jie etc..), so at the moment I put it down to mistakes on the recruitment, which happens. Maybe these mistakes may help him look inward rather than outward in the future. For me it's just about letting things play out for another season or two in order to understand our strategy, right now i can't say I know what it is.

UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE ROUND OF 16 DATE CONFIRMED

Our Under-19s will host AS Monaco in the UEFA Youth League at Stevenage's Lamex Stadium on Wednesday 21 February, kick-off 12.45pm.

The round of 16 clash, a one-off, single-leg tie, will be broadcast live on BT Sport.

Tickets for the game will be priced at £5 for adults and £2 for concessions – available either at the stadium on the day or via Stevenage's ticketing website.

The winners will be at home to either FC Porto or Red Bull Salzburg in the quarter-finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom