Tranmere Rovers F.C. v Tottenham Hotspur F.C - Friday 4th January, 2018, 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I went to the game and mingled beforehand in the pub by the ground with Tranmere fans. It was refreshing to see the hope and excitement on the faces of small boys, completely entranced by the magic of the Cup. No hostility, no entitlement, no anti Spurs attitude.
Pure, old school F A Cup. Seven goals and Harry Kane, applauded and appreciated by fans who have known bad times.
For once you could forget keyboard warriors, plastic band waggon jumpers and poisonous journalists. Here was the cup of old, in all it's old glory. Untainted by cynics, untouched by envy, fine and pure as it ever was.
Hope and glory, David and Goliath's big brother, it is still all here in the oldest and most treasured, fan's knockout competition in the world.
Dilute it, sideline it, whore it off to the Corporate world, sate your avarice and treat us, the fans with contempt. But do this at your peril, for it perseveres, it thrives and it lives in the hearts of the people that matter. We fans will keep our cup alive, and we are legion.
Nice post. I too love the cup ties vs lower league clubs.
Many of us on here know this already of course, but football's still pretty pure and simple below the Championship. Loyal fans enjoying their fortnightly trip out with their friends to cheer on their local team. No big expectations, no Twitter griping about transfers, just enjoy what happens and support the club. Yes, complaints and protests do happen (see Blackpool) but it's generally with good cause.

Nice post. I too love the cup ties vs lower league clubs.
Many of us on here know this already of course, but football's still pretty pure and simple below the Championship. Loyal fans enjoying their fortnightly trip out with their friends to cheer on their local team. No big expectations, no Twitter griping about transfers, just enjoy what happens and support the club. Yes, complaints and protests do happen (see Blackpool) but it's generally with good cause.

I try and get to a non league/lower league game a year just for this reason. It puts a lot of our moaning and gripes into perspective.

Recently I've seen a few north ferriby games, they're total shite but it's still a laugh to go. I remember the weekend after beating ac milan 1-0 in the San Siro I was stood in the away end at Burton Albion watching Barnet, it really helps to keep football fun to see just how other teams have it.

I try and get to a non league/lower league game a year just for this reason. It puts a lot of our moaning and gripes into perspective.

Recently I've seen a few north ferriby games, they're total shite but it's still a laugh to go. I remember the weekend after beating ac milan 1-0 in the San Siro I was stood in the away end at Burton Albion watching Barnet, it really helps to keep football fun to see just how other teams have it.
Yep. I haven't been to non-league since the 90s but I have fond memories of watching Slough Town. The shitness and the route one football with the occasional screamer was part of the fun.

I go to Shrewsbury from time to time, they had a wonder season last year but are now back to winning 1 in 4 and it's fine. The world keeps turning and the fans keep singing.

I have mates who support Blackpool and Portsmouth, probably the clubs who have suffered the most in recent years, maybe along with Hereford.That puts Spurs not signing Isco into perspective.

Ash United. The town has no pubs, and no cash machines.
Mersthams chairman walks round the ground thanking people for coming.
Hartley Witney had a bloke with an old bus conductors machine, selling tickets, when I went there.

Ash United. The town has no pubs, and no cash machines.
Mersthams chairman walks round the ground thanking people for coming.
Hartley Witney had a bloke with an old bus conductors machine, selling tickets, when I went there.

Last Ferriby game I was at the manager was going ape shit cos the their center half got blood on his shirt and they didn't have a spare so they needed to get into the "club shop" (port-a-cabin) for a replica. Unfortunately the old dear who had the keys for it was busy serving tea the other side of the ground. Manager was just screaming this is bullshit and unprofessional, Don't get that in the prem now.

Edit: Also the same game the attendance was 340 odd, the bloke on the speaker systems announced it with a hearty "cheers for turning up!" Made me chuckle.

Last Ferriby game I was at the manager was going ape shit cos the their center half got blood on his shirt and they didn't have a spare so they needed to get into the "club shop" (port-a-cabin) for a replica. Unfortunately the old dear who had the keys for it was busy serving tea the other side of the ground. Manager was just screaming this is bullshit and unprofessional, Don't get that in the prem now.

Edit: Also the same game the attendance was 340 odd, the bloke on the speaker systems announced it with a hearty "cheers for turning up!" Made me chuckle.
I went to merstham with AFC Wimbledon. When we went back the following year, they had a new stand, paid for from the proceeds.

Should say, the first few years, the Don's fans paid the same price every game, and the home club kept all the money when they went away.so they would get 2-3000 turning up, all of whom were paying 5 times the normal ticket price. The clubs in the combined counties League did very well that first couple of years

I think that the management team have managed our squad brilliantly through the whole Christmas/Festive/NY period. For people to be trying to criticise and doubt our decisions when Poch has expressly come out and asked fans to trust in the decisions more, is crazy. Bringing Kane on when the competitive edge had been taken out if the game, with a chance to give him another goal, keeping him match sharp, was clearly the right decision. Audere Est Facere does not translate as “Be Fearful and Whinge”.

Fearful of a Tranmere comeback from 6-0 down? Or fearful of facing January and February with no Son or Kane.

It takes one tackle....a bit naive to say that they couldn’t get near him anyway in my view.

There was no harm done, but it’s a bit rich piping up after the game.
I don’t think anyone wanted to see Kane come on then whether they said it at the time or not.

If Kane got injured it would have been a catastrophic decision to play him.
He didn’t, but that doesn’t suddenly make it a great decision.

Last edited:
Fearful of a Tranmere comeback from 6-0 down? Or fearful of facing January and February with no Son or Kane.

It takes one tackle....a bit naive to say that they couldn’t get near him anyway in my view.

There was no harm done, but it’s a bit rich piping up after the game.
I don’t think anyone wanted to see Kane come on then whether they said it at the time or not.

Respect your view but disagree 100%. Look at the players City kept on the pitch when they were comfortably winning. Sometimes players need to keep the game time going to stay fresh and fit. Our coaching team and sports scientists know every player in meticulous detail. Kane was brought on when the edge had gone from the match. He kept himself mentally match sharp, got a goal for his confidence and all is good. Really one to let go I think. It was a beautiful evening in the life and evolution of Poch’s brave new world.

Respect your view but disagree 100%. Look at the players City kept on the pitch when they were comfortably winning. Sometimes players need to keep the game time going to stay fresh and fit. Our coaching team and sports scientists know every player in meticulous detail. Kane was brought on when the edge had gone from the match. He kept himself mentally match sharp, got a goal for his confidence and all is good. Really one to let go I think. It was a beautiful evening in the life and evolution of Poch’s brave new world.

Yeah I’m happy to let it go, just saying I wouldn’t have been “aaah well it was a good decision” if he twisted his ankle

Yeah I’m happy to let it go, just saying I wouldn’t have been “aaah well it was a good decision” if he twisted his ankle
Of course. But they have contact in training every day too. You wouldn’t stop him training, and the coaches judged a brief run around against a beaten and tired Tranmere to be what he needed and low risk.

just had a thought on this, I am pretty sure that if you play you have lighter / no training the next day. This was a way of giving him the day off (have rest) without upsetting the dressing room morale.

Back
Top Bottom