Tranmere (a) FAC 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
The Kid’s are Alright

The Selections

Great to see Skipp and KWP on the pitch. Also liked that Marsh and Eyoma were on the bench. Good that Kane, Eriksen, Winks, Alderweireld were rested. This was a really young line up and I liked it.

The Structure

Poch went with what seemed like a 343. I personally would have preferred to see KWP played at RB, but that’s a minor quibble. He paired Skipp and Alli initially as the CM2 with Son, Llorente and Moura the front three. Although we got to 4-0 up like that, I didn’t think Alli was great in that CM2 set up, you can’t take the liberties he does in a CM2 and I thought we looked even better when Marsh came on and freed up Alli to operate with a bit more freedom (I think it became a CM3 without the ball then but a 3412 with it).

The Game

Got to say, although this was another poor standard of opposition, like the Cardiff game, there were still some real positives to take out of this game. Of course, you can’t get too carried away when you beat a team clearly very inferior, but what was pleasing tonight was the level of performance, not just the quality of many of the things we did, but the energy, commitment and cohesion with and without the ball.

So often these games in pokey little grounds, played on bad pitches, with ad hoc teams of made up of a mish mash of squad players who rarely play as a unit together throw up inevitably nervy, incoherent performances, but tonight things were far more cohesive. Maybe the youthful element meant there was the right amount of hunger out there to keep us at it, the smattering Alli and Son’s enough to gild that enthusiasm.

The biggest plus tonight has to Oliver Skipp. Those of us that keep an eye on youth football have had hopes for this kid. The fact that he’s been fast tracked and is possibly the youngest of our academy graduates to see real game oxygen under Pochettino speaks volumes. Not an elegant playmaking midfield swan, or audacious attacking flair player, Skipp is that really rare combination of tenacious, dynamic busy f*cker who is technically superb, very comfortable and composed on the ball, who also has that 360 awareness and, as we saw tonight, plays with his head up.

As he grew into this game, the more we saw that he’s not just a grafter, playing several incisive vertical passes, one set Son racing away for his goal, another, even better vertical pass, dissected their CB’s and put Llorente clean through for his second goal. It was one of the best passes I’ve seen from our midfield all season; incisive, perfectly paced and weighted. At a time when our midfield is desperate for an overhaul, and Eriksen aside lacks real creative spark, this kid could save us some serious money.

There were plenty of other positives, Foyth and Sanchez kept things clean at the other end, Aurier got a confidence boosting brace of goals, KWP was neat, tidy and defensively sound, both Marsh and Eyoma came in and equipped themselves well and Llorente score a very classy hatrick.

All in all, a very good night’s football.

Individual

Gazzaniga - Not loads to do, but did it well enough.

Foyth - Glides out of defence. Good game.

Sanchez - Quick and aggressive when we needed it. Good game.

Davies - Solid.

Aurier - Two goals, got up and down well, good night will do his confidence good.

KWP - Like Aurier, up and down well, involved in our attack a fair bit, solid game on his weaker side.

Skipp - 94 passes, 91%, two assists, one of the highest calibre, showing good vision and incision. Also loved the moment when he lost the ball, then hunted the guy down 20 yards and got it back. I thought his debut was one of the most impressive debuts Ive seen from any academy kid, tonight reinforced that for me. Poch said tonight something like “he plays with the maturity of a 30yo”. I concur. For an 18yo making his second start this was an outstanding performance. MOTM

Alli - First half seemed a little off key. Improved second half, especially after Marsh came on and he was given more license to get between the lines, in a role similar to that of Eriksen’s current remit. Decent game in the end, seeing a lot of ball, playing some nice stuff and getting a quality assist.

Moura - Flitted about as ever, did get a nice assist, but too often his erratic energy doesn’t quite deliver what a little bit of composure might.

Son - When this boy is hot, he’s hot and right now he’s f*cking hot.

Llorente - Scored a really classy hatrick. Great game.

Marsh - Industrious but composed. Good little cameo

Eyoma - Comfortable defending and bringing the ball out. Another nice little cameo.

Kane - I’ve read the theories, I just don’t buy them at all. I think it was absolutely crazy to risk an innocuous injury at this busy time, on a shitty pitch when we are 6-0 up in an FA Cup game. We have loads of important game coming up and Son if away soon. Just so the away fans get to see a 6-0 humiliation turn into a 7-0 one? Come on…He was good though. Lovely finish.

Think you misread that set-up completely Blakey, that's seriously not like you, what liberties did Dele take? Last night Dele was tasked with playing the possession game in midfield. In a normal Dele performance you would expect him to have around 40-50 touches with a pass rate of around 80%. (His season average is 79.9%) Instead last night he stayed far more disciplined playing on the centre left of our midfield where he had 106 passes, the most by any player despite being subbed off, with a 94% success rate, which again was the best of any player. He was so disciplined he only appeared in the Tranmere box three times in his 82 minutes.

His discipline allowed Skipp to play a more adventurous game, which like you I thought he did very well.

Dele was the go to player that Skipp, KWP and and the CB's looked for all game ... a thoroughly majestic Captain's performance ... sure it was only Tranmere but more and more I see Dele developing as a CM with less emphasis on goal scoring and more in the Kroos, Modric and Thiago role of driving the game. That's wishful thinking right now but he certainly has the potential ...

If we were to lose Eriksen then a new Kante style DM alongside Dele might just be our long term plan.

Think you misread that set-up completely Blakey, that's seriously not like you, what liberties did Dele take? Last night Dele was tasked with playing the possession game in midfield. In a normal Dele performance you would expect him to have around 40-50 touches with a pass rate of around 80%. (His season average is 79.9%) Instead last night he stayed far more disciplined playing on the centre left of our midfield where he had 106 passes, the most by any player despite being subbed off, with a 94% success rate, which again was the best of any player. He was so disciplined he only appeared in the Tranmere box three times in his 82 minutes.

His discipline allowed Skipp to play a more adventurous game, which like you I thought he did very well.

Dele was the go to player that Skipp, KWP and and the CB's looked for all game ... a thoroughly majestic Captain's performance ... sure it was only Tranmere but more and more I see Dele developing as a CM with less emphasis on goal scoring and more in the Kroos, Modric and Thiago role of driving the game. That's wishful thinking right now but he certainly has the potential ...

If we were to lose Eriksen then a new Kante style DM alongside Dele might just be our long term plan.

Don't think I did. It was blatantly a 343 with Skipp and Alli as the CM's. I guess they were technically a double pivot, but Alli definitely was the one getting forward more.

Here's a very basic positional map:

f9ws5jy.jpg

Just to reinforce that here's their touch maps:

Alli left / Skipp right

c9ltf0Y.png

I don't think I was harsh on Alli at all. I think first 20-30 minutes he was trying too many flicks and dinks, but I did think he got better as the game went on and said as much:

Alli - First half seemed a little off key. Improved second half, especially after Marsh came on and he was given more license to get between the lines, in a role similar to that of Eriksen’s current remit. Decent game in the end, seeing a lot of ball, playing some nice stuff and getting a quality assist.

Absolutely spot on post

We will have to agree to disagree ... which is fine football is subjective after all

Dele has a game average 40 passes and a 79% completion rate, he's normally behind five or six teammates in these rankings, that's fairly standard for an AM or Box-Box player. Against Tranmere he had 106 passes with a 94% success rate, the highest for any player on the pitch and clearly the numbers for a CM or DCM.

You can't deny we played a back five - Aurier - Foyth - Sanchez - Davies - KWP in the middle Skipp and Dele as CM's with Moura - Llorente- Son as a front three, that's 5-2-3 which is why Dele and Skipp saw so much of the ball ...

"I don't think I was harsh on Alli at all. I think first 20-30 minutes he was trying too many flicks and dinks"

You keep saying that but he gave away the ball just 3 times in the first 20 minutes, so where were all these flicks and dinks? as I said let's agree to disagree on this one.

I though Dele gave a superb, highly disciplined captain's performance, and I'm sticking with that.

Dele and Sonny but Dele was the one doing a lot of hard work, keeping things ticking and captained a side giving a very mature, professional performance leading a very new and pretty unfamiliar team. The guy is immense at the moment.

We will have to agree to disagree ... which is fine football is subjective after all

Dele has a game average 40 passes and a 79% completion rate, he's normally behind five or six teammates in these rankings, that's fairly standard for an AM or Box-Box player. Against Tranmere he had 106 passes with a 94% success rate, the highest for any player on the pitch and clearly the numbers for a CM or DCM.

You can't deny we played a back five - Aurier - Foyth - Sanchez - Davies - KWP in the middle Skipp and Dele as CM's with Moura - Llorente- Son as a front three, that's 5-2-3 which is why Dele and Skipp saw so much of the ball ...

"I don't think I was harsh on Alli at all. I think first 20-30 minutes he was trying too many flicks and dinks"

You keep saying that but he gave away the ball just 3 times in the first 20 minutes, so where were all these flicks and dinks? as I said let's agree to disagree on this one.

I though Dele gave a superb, highly disciplined captain's performance, and I'm sticking with that.

I'm not really arguing with you much on Alli overall performance, which is why I also said:

Decent game in the end, seeing a lot of ball, playing some nice stuff and getting a quality assist.

Hardly a character assassination?

As far as misreading the format goes, if we were Burnley away at ManC and sitting deep, you might call it a 523, but it was only that when we were defending in our half, which was virtually never, which is why most would call it 343. You could also call it 325 when we were attacking. But it’s default in application was 343.

3Pcvds2.jpg

And this backed up by the average positions I posted.

Also you said Alli was the more disciplined allowing Skipp a more adventurous game, which wasn’t quite right either, as you can see from the touch map, he saw much more of the ball ahead of Skipp. At best you could they were a double pivot with neither more disciplined than the other, but I think Skipp was the slightly more disciplined.

I acknowledged Alli saw a lot of the ball and had a good game. But in terms of seeing the ball Skipp was only 8 completed passes behind him (with an even higher success rate of 91.5 and also two assists, one exceedingly good one (Alli’s was nice too).

Bottom line, I didn’t read that set up wrong. Might have been a bit harsh on Alli’s first 20 minutes (buta few of us noted his early bumblings and commented) but did acknowledge he saw a lot of the ball and had a decent game.

Dele MOTM by quite some margin, hardly put a foot wrong and I thought he lead the team so well, it was an immaculate Captain's performance.

Foyth was our next best player, this lad is a proper baller. Brave on the ball, always looking to play the ball. He's also fearless, never backs out of a challenge, has a way to go to develop his physicality (bit like Dele has done since joining, look at the difference in physique a before and after if you will) but this will not prevent him getting minutes, just as it didn't Dele.

Special mention for Skipp, who was excellent in all facets in his game, mentality spot on, physicality spot on (doesn't mean he has the required physicality yet, he hasn't, but just like Foyth this will come, but like Foyth he never backs out of a challenge, they compete against their opposite number, never hide). The kid is a proper per baller, who is going to be a massive player for this club. Can't give him MOTM as he simply wasn't the best player on the park.

Another special mention for Llorente - Proper pro, not a peep from him for not getting minutes since joining the club and when he's asked to play he turns up. This also shows a well-managed player from the gaffer, also notice how much the players in the squad enjoyed him scoring and after the game in various interviews all giving him acknowledgement, I liked it when Aurier was trying to get him to come over and be interviewed.

Dele MOTM by quite some margin, hardly put a foot wrong and I thought he lead the team so well, it was an immaculate Captain's performance.

Foyth was our next best player, this lad is a proper baller. Brave on the ball, always looking to play the ball. He's also fearless, never backs out of a challenge, has a way to go to develop his physicality (bit like Dele has done since joining, look at the difference in physique a before and after if you will) but this will not prevent him getting minutes, just as it didn't Dele.

Special mention for Skipp, who was excellent in all facets in his game, mentality spot on, physicality spot on (doesn't mean he has the required physicality yet, he hasn't, but just like Foyth this will come, but like Foyth he never backs out of a challenge, they compete against their opposite number, never hide). The kid is a proper per baller, who is going to be a massive player for this club. Can't give him MOTM as he simply wasn't the best player on the park.

Another special mention for Llorente - Proper pro, not a peep from him for not getting minutes since joining the club and when he's asked to play he turns up. This also shows a well-managed player from the gaffer, also notice how much the players in the squad enjoyed him scoring and after the game in various interviews all giving him acknowledgement, I liked it when Aurier was trying to get him to come over and be interviewed.

Difficult to decide on a MOTM when so many players looked good against this level of opposition, but in addition to the players you have singled out I'd add Son who was always running at the Tranmere defence and with his speed and trickery must have been a nightmare for them. Aside from his goal I think he also got 2 assists for his efforts.

The other positive to take from the match is that KWP playing at LWB (rather than RWB) didn't put a foot wrong, and whilst I think he's more potent attacking from the right side, he's great as an option to cover from the left and really adds depth to the squad.

Early days for Eyoma and Marsh but both looked comfortable when they came on and any stats such as pass completion etc would be good for the limited time they did

Difficult to decide on a MOTM when so many players looked good against this level of opposition, but in addition to the players you have singled out I'd add Son who was always running at the Tranmere defence and with his speed and trickery must have been a nightmare for them. Aside from his goal I think he also got 2 assists for his efforts.

The other positive to take from the match is that KWP playing at LWB (rather than RWB) didn't put a foot wrong, and whilst I think he's more potent attacking from the right side, he's great as an option to cover from the left and really adds depth to the squad.

Early days for Eyoma and Marsh but both looked comfortable when they came on and any stats such as pass completion etc would be good for the limited time they did
Two great shouts! I feel dirty now for leaving them out.
:memeokay:

Back
Top Bottom