Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep. This squad needs some serious surgery and even if we'd won today we can't ignore that.
I don't even think that's the biggest issue. Need the team to be managed with a system that the players are drilled and well versed in playing in. Funny take is the 2nd half was actually a goodish Mourinho performance without the ball, City wasn't cutting us open, bar one excellent shot from Marhrez and a brilliant save from Lloris from open play they were taking shots from outside the box in low % areas that we kinda dealt with, out shape wasn't a disaster.

Our problem wasn't defence it was attack, we've had 2yrs of the players being coached to do nothing with the ball, it showed as we just didn't create a thing.

Son’s second half is probably the worst individual performance we had from since Wink’s cameo against Everton in the FA Cup.

His most impressive pass today was the one that arguably created City’s best chance in the 1st half.

Last edited:
Cannot believe people are defending Aurier -a mistake waiting to happen.Dont think Real are rushing to buy Reggie.Toby and Hugo were excellent today.Would have kept Moura on - running at City - bookings on the cards - - hoping to play 10 men?

Im sorry but team selection and subs are masons fault. Lets not beat around the bush
I'm just going to give him some benefit of the doubt in terms of the true fitness of the players in his team selection. Winks starting over Ndombele is also a head scratcher unless there were genuine fitness reasons we don't know about. I don't want to assume Mason just picked his mate.

Yes what was that about, winks is clearly not good enough neither is sissoko...another gutless and pathetic display....this is clearly in our dna, being gutless I mean as they always choke when it matters..mourinho is a twat and thank god he is gone but this clearly shows how shit we are...I want to like mason but today makes that hard after those subs and team selections.....

City played well: they were well out of second gear for the first half. Second half, fair enough.

They played well enough to win comfortably but I still didn't see them at anything like their best, though they were closer to it in the first half obviously. It's no disgrace losing to them as they are clearly a better team. The biggest dissapointment is that we never really went for it at any point today. Lesser sides than us have given Man City much tougher games and asked them far more questions than we did.

Yet we won nothing with them while they were AT the club?

Why does every player look so much better once they leave, or before they join us...?

ARE WE THE PROBLEM?

My point is we have got much worse since these players have left. Had we invested at that crucial point when we finished third to Leicester or second to Chelsea the season after, then we may of had some success.

Jose would have won today!
And I’m sure he will tell us all that in due course.....
Half the fans seem mind-blown we didn’t win this....Sure we can be disappointed but to think this is a shock and David has just beaten Goliath or something is just fucking crazy.....
We can’t even beat average Premier league teams on a regular basis, and we got well and truly embarrassed by an average side in Europe a few weeks ago, so no manager fixes this anything soon, and certainly not an intern manager in 6 days.....
Our squad has deteriorated steadily since 2017, that’s 4 years, there has been a few sticky plasters put on, but it’s just that, papering over the cracks....

oKaDZuC.png

If they can do it, so can we. The 'best' team doesn't win every game.
In fairness, that was 2013 so not really sure of the relevance?

I don’t think there’s a single Mourinho apologist left on this board and I’m certainly not one, but to sack an experienced manager who got us to the final for a 29 year old revered ex-player six days before the game should be seen for what it is, Levy’s desperate attempt to shift the focus off himself after the ESL debacle.

Mourinho deserved to be sacked, but binning him off for a total unknown before a chance at silverware can only be described as desperation. Love Mason as a lad and I’m sure he’ll be a great manager one day but there’s no logical argument that Mourinho wasn’t more qualified to prepare us for this match.

If he lost, sack him afterwards instead of throwing Mason to the sharks. Poor guy, imagine being a trainee at work and then getting the call that you have to compete against the world’s best in six days. Mourinho has faced off with Guardiola countless times and isn’t going to be overawed by a final setting. If the players hate him so much that they couldn’t get up for a cup final well then they are just going against their own interests.

Levy tried to manipulate us with a great story in Ryan Mason after trying to sell out football and now poor Mason has to face the heat of failing at something that he had no right to be qualified for. Absolute cowardice from the top of the club, as per usual.

The subs were on Mason

Playing his mate Winks was also on Mason
Subbing our best player was just bizarre.

Moura was the only one looking to play forward.

Kane once again was clearly not match fit - you can argue that an 80 percent Kane is still worth it but not when you don't have the players to be able to get the ball to him.

I'm not denying our ability to GET to finals.... but we're only labelled 'bottlers' when it comes to the final hurdle.

No one called the losing Semi Finalists 'bottlers'....
Yet the painful truth is, in our last 3 Major Finals, we have faced arguably the best team in the Country at the time... Man City today, Liverpool (CL Final) and Chelsea on 2015....
Where's OUR Swansea/Hull/Villa final?
Fucking luck of the draw innit?
We got the luck of the draw getting there and tbh i wouldnt be confident of beating those teams

Back
Top Bottom