Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kind of a catch 22.......if Southampton beat us he might not want to come / if we beat them then Levy will think he's not good enough
I dont think so. No manager would make such a decision based upon the result of one game (against a managerless side!).

He would look at the facilities, the squad, the budget, the potential in the club and whether or not he thinks he can do better here (or any suitor) or at his current club.

I wanna see Ade and Soldado up front on Sunday.
Does have a crouch/vdv ring to it. Personally I too would like to see this. I would also like to see holtby and erikson on the pitch together. Holtby in a more "control the tempo" deep lying playmaker in the same vein as modric was, with erikson as a more AM. That excites me. something along these lines maybe with the available players of course.
...............................lloris
walker vlad dawson rose
lennon erikson holtby lamela
................ade
.....................soldado

everybody slags ade off for his goals from last season but to be fair to the guy the season before he was getting service from the likes of lennon and bale on the wings and vdv and modric through the middle. Last season he had to sit back and watch the bale show because what the fuck kind of service do you expect when bale has a crack 9 out of 10 times he gets the ball and you no longer have modric and vdv pulling the strings in the middle.
With the potential our current squad has he could quite easily get back to scoring ways with service from lennon/lamela/townsend/chadli on the wings and the likes of erikson/holtby/dembele through the middle.
And the same rings true for soldado.

Agree on the Ade role. He was at his best yesterday when he wasn't finishing. Decent movement with and without the ball and some great attacking initiative, I think.

However, I still think Sherwood played a "League cup team" yesterday and expect to see Eriksen and Soldado in a typical AVB line-up this weekend.

The 4411 with Lennon, Holtby, Eriksen and Lamela is waaay too risky/offensive. Needs Dembele (well, Sandro, of course) to hold it down.

However, I still think Sherwood played a "League cup team" yesterday and expect to see Eriksen and Soldado in a typical AVB line-up this weekend.

Why would he have done that?
Think about it. You are the new manager. The single most important thing in the job is getting a few results, by whatever means, to boost morale and get you some kudos/leeway/room to manouvre.
Why then, would you piss about putting a B team out in a cup quarter final against opposition you should really hope to beat to get up and running?

Why would he have done that?
Think about it. You are the new manager. The single most important thing in the job is getting a few results, by whatever means, to boost morale and get you some kudos/leeway/room to manouvre.
Why then, would you piss about putting a B team out in a cup quarter final against opposition you should really hope to beat to get up and running?

Because given our recent form, he could have topped the team and lost. And then, if he still would be the one leading the team on Sunday (as there is no replacement ready), everyone would be all over him and criticizing him for topping the team in a "worthless" cup.
The same would be the situation even if he'd won yesterday with a "top team", really.

on the plus side, southampton may get over confident due to our recent shit performances and effectively, let us win. i know we can't be the only club in the premiership to have that trait

Back
Top Bottom