Tottenham Hotspur v Luton. 3pm 30/3/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i dont know why people get entertained by cliff hangers like today v Luton.
Shouldnt we be banging them 4-0 at least??.. at home.. we finally beat them via an own goal.

something is just not right. blardy Luton Town.

Too much of a shake-up to bench Deki, Madders and Biss against Spam?

Of the 3, I'd be most inclined to keep Deki despite him looking pretty horrible today. His hold-up play may give us more stability against their physicality. Then again, BJ deserves to start at the moment.

It wasn't really, we created load of opportunities and were generally comfortable for the majority of the match.

Luton don't get thrashed generally and they fight to the end, only lost by 3 goals this season 3 times (twice at the beginning of the season where they were finding their feet) That's why I found people saying that we should be thrashing these lot a bit weird.

Anyway 3 points, decent performance.
Some of the predicted scores that were posted, showed gooner level arrogance, in my opinion. Very happy with the win, and the atmosphere was great today.

His played how many games for us now on the right?

Deki’s had his moments on the right but also games when he’s slowed everything down with his hesitation and predictability in taking the ball inward. After Ange subbed Johnson in, we were a lot quicker both down the flanks and in our general play. Guess this is where Ange is going to have to make the call, and decide if Deki can mix his game up enough to be more consistently effective.

Shouldnt we be banging them 4-0 at least??.. at home.. we finally beat them via an own goal.

It was a weird game, with that pinball sequence and the goal line drama both about as close as it gets to a goal without being a goal. Luton were clearly outclassed in terms of quality but they are fighters, so you got to give them credit for it.

I thought we were trash first half and for large periods of the second half. XG does not mask a horrible performance.

Like you posted earlier, a rebuild season, so an element of acceptance exists, but honestly after Fulham seeing that shite first half was chilling.

It wasn't even that bad, people are over reacting because it's Luton and think we should be rolling them over, we've played way worse this season and won

On that first goal, Kulusevski, Son and Maddison have got to have a fucking word with themselves.

Kulusevski pisses away a great situation with a careless fucking give away - and ends up just ambling back last of everyone, if he sprints back he could have helped the overload on Porro’s side - and same Maddison who is standing with Chong when the break starts.

Likewise Son, who has a chance to win back Kulusevski's shit pass, but is so fucking weak he gets stripped by Townsend, and then chases back but then stops and does nothing to help Bissouma, just stands there watching him go 1v1, not backing up Bissouma or picking anyone else up.

This sort of lazy shit is biting us on the arse every fucking week. And to be honest, it's on Ange to be putting a fucking rocket up their arses and showing them what they are doing wrong.

I have been generally pleasantly surprised by Maddison's work rate and tactical contribution, with and without the ball, but I have been a little bit disappointed with his creation, vision and productivity.

I think the fact that most things creatively go through him, makes us a bit predictable and probably isn't helping him. Sarr is a wholesome boy who does lots of good things, but I’d like to see us play with two creative 8’s sometimes as it would give us more variation in build up, especially in these type of deep block games.

I would’ve liked to have seen Madison moved over to the R8 and Lo Celso played as the L8, when Ange made the subs today. Give opposition more to think about.

But, overall, we've got to be reasonably happy with the direction of travel. I'm not sure Ange is the Messiah, we have some serious back door issues, but we are a proactive side, with good intentions. We want the ball, we want to win it back quick, we want to move forwards. These are basic things we all (well most of us) wanted to see. There's things to criticise (dis ees fuubal) for sure, but I much prefer watching us labour against a bus park, than be the bus park, personally.

If we want to convert more of those good intentions into goals and results, we've got to add some better quality individual components and the most pressing need is a bunch of forwards with more brains, better technical and tactical ability, more productivity - this area is by far our weakest link.

Last edited:
Admittedly , not a great performance but we kept at it and three points is three points .
It's a game we could well have lost in the past .
Anyone thinking we didn't deserve the win must have watched a different game to the one I saw .
Luton have caused a lot of good sides problems this season but besides the goal I don't think they really bothered us that much .
Fair play to Johnson , he gets a lot of stick but I thought he was very good again today .
Great three points , now let's put the Spammers well and truly in their place on Tuesday

COYS
Not the way we are playing, we never actually put lower teams in their place.

On that first goal, Kulusevski, Son and Maddison have got to have a fucking word with themselves.

Kulusevski pisses away a great situation with a careless fucking give away - and ends up just ambling back last of everyone, if he sprints back he could have helped the overload on Porro’s side - and same Maddison who is standing with Chong when the break starts.

Likewise Son, who has a chance to win back Kulusevski's shit pass, but is so fucking weak he gets stripped by Townsend, and then chases back but then stops and does nothing to help Bissouma, just stands there watching him go 1v1, not backing up Bissouma or picking anyone else up.

This sort of lazy shit is biting us on the arse every fucking week. And to be honest, it's on Ange to be putting a fucking rocket up their arses and showing them what they are doing wrong.

I have been generally pleasantly surprised by Maddison's work rate and tactical contribution, with and without the ball, but I have been a little bit disappointed with his creation, vision and productivity.

I think the fact that most things creatively go through him, makes us a bit predictable and probably isn't helping him. Sarr is a wholesome boy who does lots of good things, but I’d like to see us play with two creative 8’s sometimes as it would give us more variation in build up, especially in these type of deep block games.

I would’ve liked to have seen Madison moved over to the R8 and Lo Celso played as the L8, when Ange made the subs today. Give opposition more to think about.

But, overall, we've got to be reasonably happy with the direction of travel. I'm not sure Ange is the Messiah, we have some serious back door issues, but we are a proactive side, with good intentions. We want the ball, we want to win it back quick, we want to move forwards. These are basic things we all (well most of us) wanted to see. There's things to criticise (dis ees fuubal) for sure, but I much prefer watching us labour against a bus park, than be the bus park, personally.

If we want to convert more of those good intentions into goals and results, we've got to add some better quality individual components and the most pressing need is a bunch of forwards with more brains, better technical and tactical ability, more productivity - this area is by far our weakest link.
Yep, Bissouma should have backed Bissouma up 😂😂😂

Theory:

The whole ball crossed the line and there was a fault with the goal line technology, so it didn’t notify the refs watch.

They didn’t want to deal with the consequences of their mistake so they found a freeze frame of the ball when it hadn’t gone over the line yet, hence why they didn’t show it immediately and it took a few minutes for the tvs to show the no goal image

Theory:

The whole ball crossed the line and there was a fault with the goal line technology, so it didn’t notify the refs watch.

They didn’t want to deal with the consequences of their mistake so they found a freeze frame of the ball when it hadn’t gone over the line yet, hence why they didn’t show it immediately and it took a few minutes for the tvs to show the no goal image
interesting theory.. at first "glance" it did looked over... .?
if goal line tech issnt working -how did they find that frame

Theory:

Willing to bet that’s exactly what happened

We start games extremely poorly but on a normal day with the chances we had, Luton would have lost 5-1. Son could easily have had a hat trick, Werner had big chances too and we had one of the closest goal line decisions of all time.

The winning goal came late but we did more than enough to win. Luton are a tough team and most of their games against big teams have been really close.

We start games extremely poorly but on a normal day with the chances we had, Luton would have lost 5-1. Son could easily have had a hat trick, Werner had big chances too and we had one of the closest goal line decisions of all time.

The winning goal came late but we did more than enough to win. Luton are a tough team and most of their games against big teams have been really close.
we have been starting poorly for lots of seasons now, I can remember moaning about it in Poches days
werner isn't a scorer so don't include those in what could have been,

Because the Asian communities usually all support United
Or Liverpool tbh.
Without wishing to open a can of basmati rice, or tarring everyone with the same brush (no pun intended)I THINK you'll find that many modern day Asian football fans seem to support PSG or Real Madrid... no, actually I take that back, it's basically Messi or Ronaldo they 'support'!! Welcome to the World of Global superstars!! 🌎

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but big respect to the Luton fans who put up a fine show as far as I could hear.

“Conference champions, you’ll never sing that" as away song of the year, surely.

giphy.gif
Funny chant, true, and a understated with a bit of respect there... Perfect!

Mind you, we've surely got the best opportunity for that kind of chant:
"Non-League FA Cup Winners...
NO ONE will EVER sing that!"

Back
Top Bottom