Tottenham Hotspur v. LASK || Europa League Group Stage 03.12.2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just musing over last nights shitshow and wondering if maybe there is still a hangover amongst some of the players about these “lesser” competitions from Poch’s time? I would have thought Jose would have eradicated any lack of interest in the cups but I can’t help but feel that it might in ingrained into some of them.
Poch openly admitted that the smaller cups were never a priority. It was top 4 & CL. This did rub off on some of the players as their displays in Carabao, FA & Europa showed from time to time.
A freezing Thursday night in Austria wasnt perhaps what any of them “fancied”.
I just can’t fathom a performance like that.
It was actually an entertaining game for a neutral. But we were pretty shite all over the park.

Well... in all honesty, I do not believe there is one living soul in the whole wide world, who would take Europa League 100% seriously while sitting in 1st place in Premier League. No one that would be 100% into playing Austrian league 4th place as much as playing against Chelsea or Manchester City. I am not saying that everyone take it as a stroll in the park... but key is to find the players who are willing and able to put in like 95%.

In that sense playing already overused Hjojberg and to some extent Ndombele (who looked more tired against Chelsea after playing in EL as well than he did against Man City) was a mistake I believe. Lo Celso has played less, he is more hungry. Winksy has recently played only in EL and I would have honestly preferred him to be starting there.

I truly believe that at least to earlier stage EL games it is needed to find the balance between quality and eagerness to play there.
Yesterday I watched the game for 20 minutes and saw 0 eagerness. Lucky for me I had my own training coming up anyway :D

Well... in all honesty, I do not believe there is one living soul in the whole wide world, who would take Europa League 100% seriously while sitting in 1st place in Premier League. No one that would be 100% into playing Austrian league 4th place as much as playing against Chelsea or Manchester City. I am not saying that everyone take it as a stroll in the park... but key is to find the players who are willing and able to put in like 95%.

In that sense playing already overused Hjojberg and to some extent Ndombele (who looked more tired against Chelsea after playing in EL as well than he did against Man City) was a mistake I believe. Lo Celso has played less, he is more hungry. Winksy has recently played only in EL and I would have honestly preferred him to be starting there.

I truly believe that at least to earlier stage EL games it is needed to find the balance between quality and eagerness to play there.
Yesterday I watched the game for 20 minutes and saw 0 eagerness. Lucky for me I had my own training coming up anyway :D
The fringe players should be busting a bollock to impress in these games. In fact all of the players should, if selected, be busting a bollock in every game! It is their job to entertain and win. I get that we may be top of the pile in the PL but I wouldn’t place a big bet on us staying there. Jose will want to win everything available. He doesn’t pick and choose his competitions and he will be gunning for some silverware this season. I get what you say about player fatigue for the likes of NDombele & Hojberg but there was a lack of interest throughout the team. All will be forgotten when we trounce the gooners on Sunday, but there appears to be a lingering blasé attitude towards these “lesser” games. We’ve even huffed and puffed in the league against teams we should be beating with plenty left in the tank - if we are serious title contenders.
Our record against other top 6 teams has improved dramatically, but we are still a long way off the levels of consistency needed to make the long haul. These “lesser games” will, in my opinion, define our season. Huff and puff through too many of them and we will absolutely need the whole squad. The second string, as good as it looks on paper, should not be struggling to contain a bang average team from Austria

Yes I see all that but IMO Hart should have been saving all three
He should but unless the ball is hit straight at him, like the "blocks" he made in the first half, the ball is invariably going in. The 2nd goal tells you all you need to know just how poor his technique is, he's dived with one arm, he is not having to stretch for it, so there is absolutely no need for this, any other keeper is going two hands and it's not only saved, it's also parried away from goal.

oh well at least we qualified to knockout phase, couldn't careless finishing 1st of second in the group, Mourinho won UEL with united by finishing second in the group as well
I think people's worry was we would have to play better sides because of the champions League drop outs. Personally I am pleased as we perform better against sides like that. Bring it on

That's not how it works. Half the CL dropouts go in the pot with the EL group stage winners and half go in the pot with the second place teams. Thursday is NOT one we "need" to win. I hate it when people talk about nice to win games like they are must wins. We have already advanced in the competition. If we win, that's great! We might (emphasis on might) get a slightly easier matchup in the round of 32. But we could get a CL dropout no matter which pot we end up in. The Woolwich and Palace games are much, much, MUCH more important than this EL game to determine whether we are pot 1 or pot 2.

Don't disagree Woolwich is important. Also didn't say Thursday was as important as league games. Simply said I think Jose will go stronger then he did yesterday. No it's not must win, did not say that. But it's one Jose will want to win and make sure of.

The fringe players should be busting a bollock to impress in these games. In fact all of the players should, if selected, be busting a bollock in every game! It is their job to entertain and win. I get that we may be top of the pile in the PL but I wouldn’t place a big bet on us staying there. Jose will want to win everything available. He doesn’t pick and choose his competitions and he will be gunning for some silverware this season. I get what you say about player fatigue for the likes of NDombele & Hojberg but there was a lack of interest throughout the team. All will be forgotten when we trounce the gooners on Sunday, but there appears to be a lingering blasé attitude towards these “lesser” games. We’ve even huffed and puffed in the league against teams we should be beating with plenty left in the tank - if we are serious title contenders.
Our record against other top 6 teams has improved dramatically, but we are still a long way off the levels of consistency needed to make the long haul. These “lesser games” will, in my opinion, define our season. Huff and puff through too many of them and we will absolutely need the whole squad. The second string, as good as it looks on paper, should not be struggling to contain a bang average team from Austria
Spot on imv. Too much complacency surrounding the 'mid table' teams. We might be top but the league is horrendously tight and it's very early days - a couple of duff results and we'll be around 10th.

Why does it have to be one or the other?
I genuinely don’t care that we flew to Mars in the middle of winter, in the middle of the week, in front of an empty stadium, in the middle of a pandemic, and drew to qualify while some players weren’t overly up for it.

Anyone who thinks Jose is negative, and wins stuff but it’s not good enough because of boring tactics and blaaaaah blaaaaaah blaaaaaah then please, blame yourself for the disappointment you suffered in not seeing us win 8-0 in a total domination display of epic proportions in an EL group game with a second string that we only needed to draw.

You expect crap, then get shocked when it’s crap.
And when it’s good, it doesn’t count “because Havertz”

I genuinely don’t care that we flew to Mars in the middle of winter, in the middle of the week, in front of an empty stadium, in the middle of a pandemic, and drew to qualify while some players weren’t overly up for it.

Anyone who thinks Jose is negative, and wins stuff but it’s not good enough because of boring tactics and blaaaaah blaaaaaah blaaaaaah then please, blame yourself for the disappointment you suffered in not seeing us win 8-0 in a total domination display of epic proportions in an EL group game with a second string that we only needed to draw.

You expect crap, then get shocked when it’s crap.
And when it’s good, it doesn’t count “because Havertz”
I do care if the players can't turn up and think the opponent is below them - result suggests otherwise. This isn't on Jose - some of the lads should be ashamed of their attitude

I do care if the players can't turn up and think the opponent is below them - result suggests otherwise. This isn't on Jose - some of the lads should be ashamed of their attitude
I don’t care because we’re through. So results suggest they cared just enough to get enough points with a game still left to play.

Im ok with it. We’ve spanked a lot of teams in the EL, I’m not going to start screaming about shame etc over a draw

It's an age old thing as far as Spurs (and probably other teams too) are concerned.

That mentality will always occasionally creep in and we just have to make sure it's not in games where we'll be hurt.

As an aside, I'm not defending the overall performance last night but it probably isn't easy to perform to your absolute best when there's a host of different players from the last game to this one - in this case Ludogorets and Linz.

It's an age old thing as far as Spurs (and probably other teams too) are concerned.

That mentality will always occasionally creep in and we just have to make sure it's not in games where we'll be hurt.

As an aside, I'm not defending the overall performance last night but it probably isn't easy to perform to your absolute best when there's a host of different players from the last game to this one - in this case Ludogorets and Linz.
We’ve scored 13 goals in five games in the EL, won 3 lost 1 drawn 1 and people are going to start talking about the players shameful attitude and who should never wear the shirt again etc

Half these cunts on here didn’t even want to be in the EL

We’ve scored 13 goals in five games in the EL, won 3 lost 1 drawn 1 and people are going to start talking about the players shameful attitude and who should never wear the shirt again etc

Half these cunts on here didn’t even want to be in the EL
Indeed. Inject the EL into my veins. I demand we seriously attempt to win it.

A Spurs fan looking down on the EL is a bit like a Liberal Democrat turning his nose up to the big job at Westminster. We're not in a position to ever think we deserve to be a CL team year in year out. In recent years just ask Liverpool, United and Woolwich how that viewpoint works.

We're in the Europa, deal with it, and we will be again. We must respect it and go balls out on the table to win it.

Is Lo Celsius particularly good? I don't think he's terrible or anything, he seems like a decent, tidy player, not afraid to get stuck in or receive the ball in tight positions, I just haven't really seen anything to get too excited about. Am I missing owt?

I liked what I saw of him when playing as an 8 at PSG in their 433, I didn't see much of him playing more as an AM at Betis.

I think he could be really good as an 8 if we played a 433 but I think he - and that tactical approach - would really be better under a more proactive manager. I just don't think Mourinho's reactive, 4231 is really going to get the best out of players like him, or Ndombele for that matter. I mean Ndombele is proving how good he is, but I still don't think playing as a 10 in this set up is getting the very best out of him. And I don't think Mourinho is interested in us becoming a more inherently proactive, possession dominating team.

As an 8 I think he has the right skill set, he's tenacious, pretty mobile, works pretty hard, looks to progress the ball, sees a pass and can create and push forwards and support attacks and score goals. As an AM I think he's OK, but just a more technically reliable version of Lamela. As a 6 or double pivot CM I think he's a bit compromised and wasted.

Back
Top Bottom