Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton (H) | Saturday 10th February @ 15:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The ball came off the Brighton players elbow, no pen.

Last season (i think) against Newcastle at home the ball came off Dier's elbow while he was jumping to head out an incoming corner. Pen given.

In both cases the defender was unaware of where the ball was going, both in motion to defend.

I simply don't know how VAR can get these type of decisions so wrong?

If the arm is away from the body whilst the player is trying to defend and gets hit, then it is either penalty or not?

There is no reason for VAR to debate in these circumstances?
I know not of what you speak.

:var:

So Brighton went with a quirky high risk strategy to catch us off guard and it took us until late to figure out how to punish it but we did.

Tbh though I don’t think Van Hecke really caused Maddison any issues, he was turning any direction he wanted and passing up field. Maybe slowed our build up a bit.

It’s not particularly quirky, teams have been doing it to us since pretty early in the season. Woolwich, Forest (who had MGW following Bissouma everywhere) are two I remember.

This is where Maddison becomes even more important, drops and helps us build up and transition.

I don’t think Brighton tactics were particularly effective, we created far more chances than them, and far more good situations than they did. It was only our own sloppy forward play, that really didn’t turn more of them into either goals, shots and chances.

It would be nice if we had another 8 with similar qualities to Maddison, to rotate or play at the same time, although Sarr also does an important job.

Last edited:
Not great first half, definite improvement in the second. Thought we looked a bit disjointed, which is understandable,considering we have had no real continuity in our player selection for the last four months, for all the reasons we know about.
If we can keep our players fit, I would think that we will play better for longer periods in game time.
It's good to see that we still keep going until the very end and consequently got our just reward.

It’s not particularly quirky, teams have been doing it to us since pretty early in the season. Woolwich, Forest (who had MGW following Bissouma everywhere) are two I remember.

This is where Maddison becomes even more important, drops and helps us build up and transition.

I don’t think Brighton tactics were particularly effective, we created far more chances than them, and far more good situations than they did. It was only our own sloppy foreplay, that really didn’t turn more of them into either goals, shots and chances.

It would be nice if we had another 8 with similar qualities to Maddison, to rotate or play at the same time, although Sarr also does an important job.

U Know Flirt GIF by Wimbledon

But back to the football, has anyone used a CB to follow Maddison that high up the pitch?

Bissouma is the other player we have that can turn and play. Other than that agree with everything you put. Even first half we created 4 or 5 decent chances.

But back to the football, has anyone used a CB to follow Maddison that high up the pitch?

Bissouma is the other player we have that can turn and play. Other than that agree with everything you put. Even first half we created 4 or 5 decent chances.
Still think we need another striker and another winger who can play both sides and score goals. Gil and Werner can go, then we’d have Son ! Solomon, Johnson, Dejan and Richy + 2 New players up front.

I'd literally just seen that myself...

Jimmy Carr Reaction GIF by The QI Elves

Absolutely Bissouma is vital to the way we try to play out and transition, I just meant than when teams try to shut off our 6, Maddison has to drop deeper (like he spent a lot of time doing yesterday) and help us. Trouble was he (Maddison) was gassed by about the 70th minute from having to cover so much pitch.

It's why I'd like to see us add another player like Maddison. Lo Celso can back up Maddison, but he's never fit. Or we bring in a Bissouma back up that we can bring on, and push Bissouma into the 8 in games or for the odd start.

How the fuck is Spurs v Brighton a 3pm kick off and Forest v Newcastle gets televised.

Fucking bent cunts promoting those oil barons over decent football.
Fuck the 5.30 kick offs and fuck sky. They have destroyed the great traditions of our game as it is.
Saturday football should be at 3pm.
Get a fucking firestick and watch it

Would love for us to have the FBs go wide every now and then on the overlap and then cross the ball. Seen a few ganes this weekend and a lot of the teams have their FBs go wide on the over lap and square the ball. Dippers do it and even city with walker. Just think it would vary our pay up. Our wide player except son cannot cross the f’ing ball but we know porro can and destiny has got to byline a few occasions and pulled the ball back.
Maybe porro and udogie are tired, they have nearly been ever present this season.

Maybe porro and udogie are tired, they have nearly been ever present this season.
What if we had Europe as well and played longer in the cups. How many games do Robertson and Trent get through recently for dippers? We will have played just 41 games this season. Destiny has had few out through suspension and injury.

I'd literally just seen that myself...

Jimmy Carr Reaction GIF by The QI Elves

Absolutely Bissouma is vital to the way we try to play out and transition, I just meant than when teams try to shut off our 6, Maddison has to drop deeper (like he spent a lot of time doing yesterday) and help us. Trouble was he (Maddison) was gassed by about the 70th minute from having to cover so much pitch.

It's why I'd like to see us add another player like Maddison. Lo Celso can back up Maddison, but he's never fit. Or we bring in a Bissouma back up that we can bring on, and push Bissouma into the 8 in games or for the odd start.

Interested to see what Bergvall looks like in this conversation.

Sarr can develop that ability too. He’s technically good but more likely to pass out of tight spaces than carry out. We just need his engine as much as we need help for Maddison

Back
Top Bottom