Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (A) (16/02/20) (2pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because it was the last minute of injury time. Or didn’t you notice? In the context of the post it was obvious.

Stop nitpicking - you’re not moaning about the sentence. You disagreed because it was me. Now you’re desperately trying to backtrack.

Leave me out of your dimly lit mental universe. Thanks.

Don’t try and elevate yourself to any importance cider boy

I disagreed with you because you weren’t making sense not for the first time in here the same as I would disagree with anyone else!
End of

You’ve said that you don’t like this Forum, you don’t like watching the team and clearly you don’t like me so why are you on here engaging with me?

Doesn’t make sense either

I think we did exactly the right thing with the players we had ....

Villa score from shots from around the D and from set-pieces, they are the highest scorers in the bottom half of the table, however they also have the worst defence in the EPL and they make the most defensive errors ....

Looking at that then to way to beat them is to outscore them, that's exactly how we set up.

If you look at the way we played it was very different from most weeks, the ball was just blasted forward towards our front four, every one of our back six had lower pass completion rates than normal, even Winks who is Mr 90% every week, was down at 81%. This wasn't a mistake it was a very clear tactic, chuck the ball at the worst defence in the league and they will make mistakes. Guess what they did.

The problem with that tactic is you give the opposition a lot of possession and whilst Villa can't defend they can score, and so it proved.

This strategy makes for a blindingly exiting game ... come on apart from the chewed nails who didn't enjoy that spectacle .... football madness gung-ho attack and screw the 70% possession tippy-tappy bollocks, what's not to like?

In the end we had just 45% possession but created 23 shots hitting the target 10 times to their 4 ... love him or hate him Mourinho knows how to get results

These tactics won't work against RB Leipzig, or will they? RB have conceded plenty of goals in the CL (as have we) maybe it will be another death or glory performance ... 4-4 anyone?

It’s nice to see another away win after that awful stretch of being terrible on the road.

I missed the first 20 minutes but thought we were OK. At least we were actually creating chances. Son has been pretty poor since his MaraSona goal, but at least he’s still finding ways to score. Few things in football more satisfying than winning right at the death.

Don’t try and elevate yourself to any importance cider boy

I disagreed with you because you weren’t making sense not for the first time in here the same as I would disagree with anyone else!
End of

You’ve said that you don’t like this Forum, you don’t like watching the team and clearly you don’t like me so why are you on here engaging with me?

Doesn’t make sense either
Because you’re engaging me with the disagrees. You’re just spoiling for a cunt off. There’s no way you’d have disagreed with anyone else. My post made perfect sense. And what’s with all the ‘cider boy’ crap and in the case of SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur all the pie ‘jokes’? Let’s have a look at you, you decrepit old mether. Come on - you have photos of us - let’s see one of you. Pictures of the crack house you live in don’t count.

I’m still waiting for you to describe how you’re ‘mixed race’ ha ha. Come on Baz, front up. You spend your time on here taking the piss about people’s appearances - why not let others have their say on yours? Although given where you live I’m not expecting much. Everyone can see your game btw - once your cards have expired you get all brave again. This behaviour from someone over 70 is quite bizarre. It’s almost as if you have no one else to talk to.

Now please go away. Thanks.

Last edited:
dele takes just one of his chances in the first half Its a different game,

loved it th
Pretty up and down performance....

I think "lucky" is harsh.... 25 shots with 10 on target tells me we did more than enough to win the game. I think on balance we had far more good chances than then too.
loved the first half as a football fan

dele takes just one of his chances in the first half Its a different game,

loved it th

loved the first half as a football fan

Having just watched MOTD they had even less quality chances than I remember.

Villa boss mugged himself off over the pen afterwards.

I think we did exactly the right thing with the players we had ....

Villa score from shots from around the D and from set-pieces, they are the highest scorers in the bottom half of the table, however they also have the worst defence in the EPL and they make the most defensive errors ....

Looking at that then to way to beat them is to outscore them, that's exactly how we set up.

If you look at the way we played it was very different from most weeks, the ball was just blasted forward towards our front four, every one of our back six had lower pass completion rates than normal, even Winks who is Mr 90% every week, was down at 81%. This wasn't a mistake it was a very clear tactic, chuck the ball at the worst defence in the league and they will make mistakes. Guess what they did.

The problem with that tactic is you give the opposition a lot of possession and whilst Villa can't defend they can score, and so it proved.

This strategy makes for a blindingly exiting game ... come on apart from the chewed nails who didn't enjoy that spectacle .... football madness gung-ho attack and screw the 70% possession tippy-tappy bollocks, what's not to like?

In the end we had just 45% possession but created 23 shots hitting the target 10 times to their 4 ... love him or hate him Mourinho knows how to get results

These tactics won't work against RB Leipzig, or will they? RB have conceded plenty of goals in the CL (as have we) maybe it will be another death or glory performance ... 4-4 anyone?

Quelle surprise. The 73rd game on the spin when our tactics were "spot on".

When Poch was playing 70% tippy tappy bollocks, guess what, that was the "spot on tactics". Now it's 45% let the opposition have 18 shots - they could have been 2-0 up before we even realised we had a game today - ....but guess what "spot on tactics".

Of course it was. Let the top scoring team in the bottom half have fuck loads of ball and shots on the goal of the the worst (but one) defence in the top half. Mourinho instructed Dier to give the ball away 30%. Maybe he was disappointed he didn't give the ball away more?

It would be a valid tactic to have less ball if you aren't going let the opposition have nearly 20 shots on goal and complete more passes in your box than you do in theirs. That's just fucking lottery football. And that's what today was. We were just lucky we have more/better attacking footballers than they do.

Spot on tactics my fucking arse.

Because you’re engaging me with the disagrees. You’re just spoiling for a cunt off. There’s no way you’d have disagreed with anyone else. My post made perfect sense. And what’s with all the ‘cider boy’ crap and in the case of SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur all the pie ‘jokes’? Let’s have a look at you, you decrepit old mether. Come on - you have photos of us - let’s see one of you. Pictures of the crack house you live in don’t count.

I’m still waiting for you to describe how you’re ‘mixed race’ ha ha. Come on Baz, front up. You spend your time on here taking the piss about people’s appearances - why not let others have their say on yours? Although given where you live I’m not expecting much. Everyone can see your game btw - once your cards have expired you get all brave again. This behaviour from someone over 70 is quite bizarre. It’s almost as if you have no one else to talk to.

Now please go away. Thanks.

Triggered again and no I’m not after a cunt off with you or anyone else

Try taking your own advice cider boy

Stop engaging with me thanks

Just go away

Your arse is the most sensible speaking part you have ..... everyone has seen through your endless shit long ago ... go cry quietly in the corner until you can slag of Sissoko once again ......

You must hate it when we win - makes you look a completely negative cunt every time ... we won, stop trying to find reasons why we shouldn't have, what's the point of that?

Not being able to tell the difference between tactics and execution? that just makes you look dumb. Sure we've played the last 73 games with no tactics, it's just 'go out there and run around a bit lads' ... you're spot on as usual Blakey - doh!

Last edited:
Triggered again and no I’m not after a cunt off with you or anyone else

Try taking your own advice cider boy

Stop engaging with me thanks

Just go away
Stop disagree spamming then. And why are you trying to ‘trigger’ me? I made a perfectly reasonable post about Sonny’s ruthless finish and you stuck your massive thick head in. How is that me engaging with you? I had you on ignore, but the disagrees still get through as you know - that’s why you do it.

As for ‘cider boy’ I’ll style you as the ‘six dollar man’. We have the technology, but we ain’t spending any money on fixing up this loser with his self-inflicted, alcohol induced frailties.

$6 man. I like that. And please stop quoting - word for word - my own posts back at me. Have a little originality six buck man.

And finally, in the real world when two adults dislike each other, they tend to avoid each other. Now why don’t we? Stick me on ignore like you’ve promised to do at least 50 times before and we’ll be fine. Cheers.

When Poch was playing 70% tippy tappy bollocks, guess what, that was the "spot on tactics". Now it's 45% let the opposition have 18 shots - they could have been 2-0 up before we even realised we had a game today - ....but guess what "spot on tactics".

Of course it was. Let the top scoring team in the bottom half have fuck loads of ball and shots on the goal of the the worst (but one) defence in the top half. Mourinho instructed Dier to give the ball away 30%. Maybe he was disappointed he didn't give the ball away more?

It would be a valid tactic to have less ball if you aren't going let the opposition have nearly 20 shots on goal and complete more passes in your box than you do in theirs. That's just fucking lottery football. And that's what today was. We were just lucky we have more/better attacking footballers than they do.

Tactics should not be confused with execution of said tactics.

We made hard work of what really should have been a comfortable win. We created many chances and it was very disappointing to see how wasteful Alli and Son were in front of goal. Clearly the pitch was the driving factor in this and it looked like an ice rink out there.

Bergwjen, Aurier, Moura and Winks were excellent. Never stopped working. Moura was still chasing balls back in our defensive third in the 90th minute.

Great return for Davies. Got turned a few times; but also made some essential blocks.

Dier did the job he was put out there to do. Very good range of passing, a couple of essential blocks. Took us a while to adjust when he went off.

Props to Mourinho. The squad never stopped believing and played great football. You could see our attacks were built with strategy and the players all seemed well drilled in what was expected of them

Just watched the match. Not a pretty sight although I'm delighted with the outcome. But yet more questions than answers. Lloris, captain and GK???.....so hesitant, no verbal instructions to Toby. Goal absolutely down to him. And why won't he send the ball up field from a goal kick. Always rolls it to the nearest guy and that doesn't play to our strengths. Especially with Winks and Dier so weak as a combination. IMO, that is the worst midfield we could have selected. Dier is finished just as much as Jan. Lumbering about like an old water buffalo. Pitiful. Shocked that it took so long to get Dier off. GLC made an immediate difference so why doesn't Mou either start him or bring him on earlier? Where was Ndombele? Have we just wasted 40 mil? Deli unspeakably awful. When I think back to the player he was 3/4 years ago.....and when did Son become so greedy? Head down, thinking he can just keep dribbling....didn't work once that I saw. And he is definitely NOT a dead ball player, especially penalties. That was one of the worst penalties I can remember. Lucas should be taking them or maybe Toby.
I thought that Atkinson actually had a decent game. Difficult to believe after all the stupid fouls from Aurier that he wasn't even carded. I was a big Mou fan when he arrived but quite honestly, his team selections are as stupid as Poch's...I'm really having some doubts now. The game could have gone either way. After the second goal, he should have brought on Japhet and GLC for the 2nd half. He gave them that goal and that last gasp mistake from Engels was a life line. Talk about luck. If we play like that against Chelski, we;re not going to win...or even draw. And I'm not looking forward to Wednesday.
It's tough being a Spurs fan.

Back
Top Bottom