Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Netherlands should be competing with Portugal and Russia for 6th rank which gives the runner up a group place, but they are a few places behind but have a chance to play their way back in, this is a good reason why the Eredivise is helping them.
Yep, it makes sense. But I was just replying to the idea that it was weird for Ajax to have to have played qualifying rounds, when in reality it'd be insane for them to just get an automatic group stage place given how far down the Eredivisie is right now.

You think the 2nd best club from the 14th best league in Europe should get 2 places, automatically in the group stage? So that's 28 teams if you do that for the top 14, and then 4 from everyone else even if you drop all the 3rd and 4th placed sides.

Under no format ever would Ajax have automatically qualified this season. In this case it's nothing to do with UEFA, it's to do with how shit the Dutch clubs were in Europe for several years before you've done well this season.

11th or 12th currently, but no, I don't think they should get 2 places automatically in the group stage. Except the top 4 leaques shouldn't get 4 either.

Don't like our chances in this. Ajax will have seen our recent performances and injury list and will smell blood. I expect them to come out the corner swinging.

Hopefully Wanyama and Winks will be fit for this one. We will need some dominance in midfield to control the pace of the game.

Up top our lineup picks itself, Moura, Eriksen, Dele and Llorente. Dele looked unfit and off the pace against West Ham. Slow to pick out passes and indecisive. The threat of Moura's pace should be enough to prevent Ajax playing too high up the field.

If we are to get anything from this game, Dele and Eriksen need to be at their best. Llorente and Moura will need service and we won't have the luxury of 32 attempts on goal that we needed against Brighton.

Ajax are where Spurs were 2 years ago. A young team punching above their weight. Hopefully the inexperience and nerves will get the better of them and our disciplined and more experienced squad will come through. We have the benefit of not under estimating Ajax as Madrid and Juve did.

COYS
Not just dominance in midfield but movement up front would be nice the last couple of games hasn't seen any.

As mentioned before a clean sheet is huge.

But I think we need to use home advantage. The crowd can push players beyond a bit of fatigue. I'm fully expecting more effort compared to yesterday. It's just the tactics that we need to get right.

Lloris
Tripps Alde Jan Rose
Dier Wanyama
Lucas Dele Eriksen
Llorente

I'd like to see Llorente isolate against Blind. Dele and Lucas running beyond.

Lets not pretend after losing 1-0 to a pretend football club like west ham that we are on an equal footing with Ajax ( given the circumstance). No kane or Son & a tired squad riddled with injury. Crowd need to put the prawn sandwiches down & get behind the team in this historic champions league semi-final.

The top 4 leaques in Europe getting 4 free spots in the CL has it's effects on the CL as well, Ajax had to go through the qualifiers to even get into the CL.

The vast sums of money the Spurs get for free from TV rights has it's effects on the Eredivisie and Ajax as well. Sanchez, Verthongen, Eriksen, Alderweireld. It's basically Ajax 1 vs. Ajax 2 next tuesday

It's all a bit boohoohooo......

That has always been Ajax policy. It is honorable to sell in order to survive, however, I do not like the interference of the Dutch league.

11th or 12th currently, but no, I don't think they should get 2 places automatically in the group stage. Except the top 4 leaques shouldn't get 4 either.
But for the relevent year it was ranked lower, behind leagues from Switzerland and the Czech Republic.

As for the top 4 thing. Last season, the 4th best ranked team from Italy (the lowest of those leagues) still ranked the same as the best team from Greece, only marginally below the best teams from Austria and Turkey, better than the best teams from Holland, Belgium and the Czech Republic. And that's despite the fact that they qualify less regularly since it's much, much harder to finish 4th in Italy than win one of those leagues, and they had one year when they didn't get to play in Europe at all. For me, the solution is to try and reduce the financial imbalance between the European leagues, not to dilute the quality of the Champions League so we can see more low-quality clubs lose 5-0 or worse and go out of the group stage with a whimper.

As mentioned before a clean sheet is huge.

But I think we need to use home advantage. The crowd can push players beyond a bit of fatigue. I'm fully expecting more effort compared to yesterday. It's just the tactics that we need to get right.

Lloris
Tripps Alde Jan Rose
Dier Wanyama
Lucas Dele Eriksen
Llorente

I'd like to see Llorente isolate against Blind. Dele and Lucas running beyond.

Our focus yesterday was not West Ham, it was Ajax. The managers substitutions & tweaks showed that the club had one eye on a major night in our history.

All in all the weekend has been relatively kind to us. We lost which was a bit of a killer but we go from winning one more win to needing only two more draws whilst resting Vertonghen, Trippier, giving Lucas half hours recovery time as well as Rose.

We tried to get away with one yesterday. It didn't come off but today has been kind to our risk taken. We've cut our target down by a point despite losing a game. Not a bad return after how deflated I felt yesterday. Now it's all about Tuesday.

Our focus yesterday was not West Ham, it was Ajax. The managers substitutions & tweaks showed that the club had one eye on a major night in our history.

All in all the weekend has been relatively kind to us. We lost which was a bit of a killer but we go from winning one more win to needing only two more draws whilst resting Vertonghen, Trippier, giving Lucas half hours recovery time as well as Rose.

We tried to get away with one yesterday. It didn't come off but today has been kind to our risk taken. We've cut our target down by a point despite losing a game. Not a bad return after how deflated I felt yesterday. Now it's all about Tuesday.

The good thing about today is that the players should feel under a lot less pressure as a Top 4 place feels very close - one win guaranteeing it and given others clubs dropping points we might already be there now !

Very different to the atmosphere which might have been created if Woolwich had won today and been on our tails .

All of which means that there should be little to distract the players away from the task on Tuesday,

The good thing about today is that the players should feel under a lot less pressure as a Top 4 place feels very close - one win guaranteeing it and given others clubs dropping points we might already be there now !

Very different to the atmosphere which might have been created if Woolwich had won today and been on our tails .

All of which means that there should be little to distract the players away from the task on Tuesday,

The boys can breathe a little easier now. We have a free hit with our two league games in theory and could actually draw our remaining games (based on away goals favouring us) and secure not only top 4 but a place in the final. Resolute defending is the most important thing with our limited options up top.

No need to be reckless, we can focus on tact and professionalism a little more now than knowing a wobble screws us. That should give us a good boost to focus on Ajax on Tuesday.

Come on you Spurs, the biggest night in spurs recent history is nearly upon us.
Such a shame our squad isn’t at full strength, however I’ve got a feeling we will get through to the final 💪🍺🤞.
Let’s get behind the boys and forget the weekend just gone. Smash em.

Ooh look, an omen, last time we played Ajax in Europe it was in a season that construction work was going on and we thrashed them 3-0:

And if you add 1981 together it comes to 19. Oooh, spooky. And this is following on from a repeat of 2012 when a Guardiola team went out at home to an English club after scoring first in a match referred by Cüneyt Çakır.

Incidentally, the last time Tuesday's referee, Mateu Lahoz, refereed a Tottenham game was against Dortmund in the R16, with the score also being 3-0.

So many signs pointing to a Spurs win it's barely worth Ajax turning up.

Back
Top Bottom