Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll just point out that the last time we bought in 7 players we had a car crash of a season

And this is the problem we have this summer, increased by no dealings last summer.

To that list you have to add:

Janssen
Alderweireld (possibly)
Eriksen (possibly)
Vorm
N'koudou.
Dembele replacement

You're now looking at replacing half the squad which will never happen.

I'm afraid we're stuck with your list for at least another window.

Shows what a waste last summer was.

UEFA probe - wtf?
I think the exchange Poch - Ten Hag was absurd. Your coach said he did not find the longest rest allowed by the Dutch federation correct. Ten Hag replied that the Totthenam is richer. But what is the answer? If you are a richer club because the Premier League was better at managing business then do you have to penalize me? But who is Robin Hood?

Can someone point me to where this optimism of Kane coming back has come from? I thought he was certainly out for the season?
Next Wednesday will be a month since the Delph incident.

Last game of the season for him.

Apparently Winks had a pain killing injection before the City first leg. Why not Kane for next week?

Back late last night - feel a bit deflated this morning.

HOWEVER

Jan's injury did us a massive favour - without that I doubt we'd have seen Poch changing to a back four till at least the 60 minute mark and so for that we kinda lucked out as they were threatening to be 2 or 3 goals to the good by half time - thank god for the enforced change - just hope Jan's ok.

Sissoko is a gladiator and Man of the match.

Llorente - lazy and put in probably 45 percent effort.

Dele and Eriksen...... Well they were terrible no idea why.

Dele in particular was upsetting as he had zero movement off the ball - even more worrying is that he never ever once showed or yelled or put his arm up for the ball - It was almost as if he didn't want it and was hoping to just coast the night with someone else doing the work. He only really seemed to give a toss in about the 91st minute.

Positive is that its only 1-0......if we get a goal over there then its almost advantage us as Ajax will have a massive problem of needing to score but being worried about conceding a second as then they'd need 2.

Now we need to dust ourselves off and get back in the game......

If we won over there 1-0 in the first leg, we would in no way think Ajax were out of it and we were all but through so the same applies to us.
Dele is getting a lot of stick, but I think he is doing a job for the team that is not his ideal role. He is best behind Kane, with a lot of freedom to get in and around the box. Now he is playing deeper trying to fill gaps when we don't have the ball and just keep it moving when we do.
That makes it harder for him to join attacks in the most effective way, so he does not look as creative.
It makes him look less than he was, but he is still the same player. He is just doing what the team needs, and what Poch has told him to do.

Let's move on from this...beat Bournemouth and secure CL football...try our damn hardest in the return leg....then shift all the fucking not good enough dead wood we have in the squad.
Bye bye to
Trippier
Aurier
Davies
Wanyama
Dier
Lamela
Llorente

That's who I think are not good enough but Dier and Davies will probably stay.

Agree with the first sentence.
Of your list, I'd look to move Davies, Aurier, Wanyama and Llorente

I'm loving the negativity in the press this morning. Apparently we were terrible (yes, for the first 30... then very much in the match) and Ajax are pretty much in the final. That is the kind of situation that this team seems to thrive on and could create a lot of pressure on those young Ajax players next week.

We are back as the firm underdogs. I'm happy with that.

Fuck em. Any “fan” willing to whore their ticket for a grand deserves a royal fucking over.
Absolute cunts.
Pretty sure the instructions on stubhub state something about meeting the seller at the ground! So that means people are selling their tickets for crazy prices and then handing over their ST's or Membership cards to the buyer and collecting them after the game???? Insane they can get away with that.

Tempted to buy one just so I can hand it in to the club and get them sacked off :allitongue:

I love the guy, but if he has sense and good medical advice that’s him for the season. There’s getting a bit dizzy after a knock, and there’s losing motor control of your limbs and vomiting. All the signs of a serious concussion. Seen and had my fair share, memory loss comes next.

You just can’t tell as a doc though, until those symptoms show. He seemed fine.

Rest up Jan, I think Foyth has got this

I don’t agree that Foyth has got this
He’s promising going forward but he’s an accident waiting to happen when someone runs at him especially in the box

Agree about Jan though
He looked badly shaken and the decision to let him try and carry on was ridiculous

I dunno. When Danny was at his best we had Walker on the other side, together they stretched and stressed teams. Now with Trippier on the right, who isn’t an attacking threat, Danny gets closed down quickly, he barely had a second free on the ball all night. Ajax played clever and closed down the key players.

I thought his defending has been superb as well.

Danny has fight in him, and we need it now more than ever

Danny our MOM for me just edging Sissoko who was awesome

Dele is getting a lot of stick, but I think he is doing a job for the team that is not his ideal role. He is best behind Kane, with a lot of freedom to get in and around the box. Now he is playing deeper trying to fill gaps when we don't have the ball and just keep it moving when we do.
That makes it harder for him to join attacks in the most effective way, so he does not look as creative.
It makes him look less than he was, but he is still the same player. He is just doing what the team needs, and what Poch has told him to do.

I love Dele but he was pretty atrocious last night - I was watching him a lot of the game hoping for some inspiration or fire but there was very little. I'm not giving him stick I'm just saying what I saw.

Being played in a different position doesn't mean you stop shouting and requesting for the ball - there were a number of times yesterday for example where we had a throw in and he seemed to look the other way as if he didn't want the ball - same when trips or Moura were looking for an outlet - he just seemed to be a bystander.

His body language looks all wrong and he looked knackered last night from the word go - only in the last couple of minutes did he really look like he was putting in maximum effort - which leads me to think that he's still got an injury or is just "fatigued"

I think the exchange Poch - Ten Hag was absurd. Your coach said he did not find the longest rest allowed by the Dutch federation correct. Ten Hag replied that the Totthenam is richer. But what is the answer? If you are a richer club because the Premier League was better at managing business then do you have to penalize me? But who is Robin Hood?
The English Premier League has given us and others the chance to build great teams with the additional money. The Dutch FA has given their team a longer rest to compete against the rich teams. Basically both leagues have helped their respective clubs. Nothing to see here.

I love Dele but he was pretty atrocious last night - I was watching him a lot of the game hoping for some inspiration or fire but there was very little. I'm not giving him stick I'm just saying what I saw.

Being played in a different position doesn't mean you stop shouting and requesting for the ball - there were a number of times yesterday for example where we had a throw in and he seemed to look the other way as if he didn't want the ball - same when trips or Moura were looking for an outlet - he just seemed to be a bystander.

His body language looks all wrong and he looked knackered last night from the word go - only in the last couple of minutes did he really look like he was putting in maximum effort - which leads me to think that he's still got an injury or is just "fatigued"
he can't be fatigued when he's missed quite a bit of the season. I think he's just not back to full fitness after injury, and because of all the injuries he's playing a different role each week which is affecting his form.

Fuck it we are still in it and i reckon we have a chance, a fair chance. Was disappointing of course but i think the lads that were out there did their best under the circumstances and i'm not too disheartened this morning. Onto Bournemouth and three points so we can go through all this again next season. Come on you Spurs.

he can't be fatigued when he's missed quite a bit of the season. I think he's just not back to full fitness after injury, and because of all the injuries he's playing a different role each week which is affecting his form.
So whatever, fatigued due to lack of full fitness and being asked too much too soon, carrying an injury.

Doesn't matter but he definitely doesn't look his usual cheeky self getting in the faces of opposition players and opp fans alike. And he's normally very vocal on the pitch but that is also lacking.

Back
Top Bottom