Tottenham Hotspur B - Checkatrade Trophy 2017-2018 - The Road to Wembley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This whole debate has absolutely fuck all to do with that.

"TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR B - JOHNSTONE'S PAINT TROPHY CAMPAIGN 2014-15 "

It is patronizing to think lower league clubs will suffer. I've been beaten unconscious by lower league fans. What are they going to do? Not kick my face in because their team went out of the league? Lose their passion for the game?

They can look after themselves.

It is patronizing to think lower league clubs will suffer. I've been beaten unconscious by lower league fans. What are they going to do? Not kick my face in because their team went out of the league? Lose their passion for the game?

Post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-Hje6.gif

You said you would not support Spurs players because of league politics.
No I didn't.

Things will change in all aspects of the game over the next few decades of my supporting life nothing will stop me from supporting spurs players. And nothing will stop lower league fans either FFs.
Unless their clubs cease to exist due to the introduction of another division, meaning a higher tree to climb and inevitably less money in their current divisions. Not to mention many other knock on effects.

Don't want a b team, don't want to be in Europa etc wahhhh. Do people not like football or something?
We have a B team. The U-21's. The point you seem to be missing is, this isn't about Premier League teams, and it's not about the England national team. It's about the teams that battle to survive every financial year, scraping by one way or another. This could have a detrimental effect on many of those.

And I've never said I didn't want to be in Europa. I love the competition. But it's not even been mentioned in this thread. Not like you to go off on a tangent!!!

You are overseas. You would give your left nut to watch some Spurs players you discuss on here. So would I, haha. It's so frustrating seeing people so willing not to watch our players regardless of status.
What a selfish point of view. As long as we have another team to watch, fuck everyone else. It's not patronising to suggest this could have a negative effect on lower league football. It's realistic, and common sense. Have you even listened to Bumchin Bumchin 's argument, from someone at the bottom of the pile?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...:nawty:

Fans of lower league clubs beat people up - FINANCIAL WOES SOLVED!!

#genius

You are overseas. You would give your left nut to watch some Spurs players you discuss on here. So would I, haha. It's so frustrating seeing people so willing not to watch our players regardless of status.
mad how i've been to my fair share of 1882 games watching the youth players then isn't it. i'm more than willing to go and watch them. just wouldn't ever go and see them in the paint trophy or this b-league.

The Champions League is screwing the PL and the PL is screwing lower league and non-league football.

The Sky and billionaire owners' club cartel has got us all steamed up about getting 4th place. That can't be right surely? Aim to win the league and either succeed or fail gloriously. That's what makes it fun not the tension of trying to scrape 4th place.

Having heard from a PL youth team manager about how the bigger (richer) clubs nick the youth that the smaller clubs have scouted by offering the player a high salary and giving their parents highly paid "jobs" I'm pretty sickened by modern football.

I wouldn't mind so much if the billionaire clubs were gathering up youth players to play them. It's often just to stop others getting them.

I know that the richer clubs have always taken from the poorer (and we've been guilty of this) but there used to be food on everyone's table. Not now.

This B team bollocks is just another screw over.

Sorry if I've ranted.

The Champions League is screwing the PL and the PL is screwing lower league and non-league football.

The Sky and billionaire owners' club cartel has got us all steamed up about getting 4th place. That can't be right surely? Aim to win the league and either succeed or fail gloriously. That's what makes it fun not the tension of trying to scrape 4th place.

Having heard from a PL youth team manager about how the bigger (richer) clubs nick the youth that the smaller clubs have scouted by offering the player a high salary and giving their parents highly paid "jobs" I'm pretty sickened by modern football.

I wouldn't mind so much if the billionaire clubs were gathering up youth players to play them. It's often just to stop others getting them.

I know that the richer clubs have always taken from the poorer (and we've been guilty of this) but there used to be food on everyone's table. Not now.

This B team bollocks is just another screw over.

Sorry if I've ranted.
Thank you for sharing..............
Lie down on this couch and tell me about your childhood

Don't worry mate I'm sure there's a few Spurs fans that would do the same...

If this thread is anything to go by they will be too busy telling everyone how they are saving grass roots football to actually have a go.

To think that a change in a league is going to stop kids loving the game and progressing through the ranks is ego IMO. What is it going to impact exactly? Are smaller town football fans going to be wiped from the earth because Spurs puts out a friken B team?

You can't keep football down. Its the international game. The league rules etc have chopped and changed for years. Not everything has to be a fucking protest. Esp something that means more Spurs competative runouts for the fringe players.

If this thread is anything to go by they will be too busy telling everyone how they are saving grass roots football to actually have a go.

To think that a change in a league is going to stop kids loving the game and progressing through the ranks is ego IMO. What is it going to impact exactly? Are smaller town football fans going to be wiped from the earth because Spurs puts out a friken B team?

You can't keep football down. Its the international game. The league rules etc have chopped and changed for years. Not everything has to be a fucking protest. Esp something that means more Spurs competative runouts for the fringe players.
You have both over-simplified and over-complicated the issue in one post.

Bravo, sir.

Well, looks like we've accepted the invitation to this years EFL Checkatrade Trophy for our U21's. Personally I reckon it's a good thing for the club / youngsters. It will give them a chance of game time against lower league opposition. It might toughen them up a bit and broaden their experience rather than only being pitted against players of their own age, strength and ability. OK it may not be a particularly high pressure / meaningful match situation, but it'll give them another chance to show the management what they are capable of.

EFL Official Website Checkatrade Trophy: Invited under-21 teams confirmed for 2017/18

Hopefully we get a decent group. Playing against men at a higher standard than youth level football is a great experience and could serve them well when coming into the first team etc

Well, looks like we've accepted the invitation to this years EFL Checkatrade Trophy for our U21's. Personally I reckon it's a good thing for the club / youngsters. It will give them a chance of game time against lower league opposition. It might toughen them up a bit and broaden their experience rather than only being pitted against players of their own age, strength and ability. OK it may not be a particularly high pressure / meaningful match situation, but it'll give them another chance to show the management what they are capable of.

EFL Official Website Checkatrade Trophy: Invited under-21 teams confirmed for 2017/18

Sorry mate, can't agree. Top flight clubs shouldn't be in this competition in any capacity in my opinion, the whole point of it is to give 3rd and 4th Division teams a stab at glory and a massive day out at Wembley.

By all means have a higher profile knockout competition for the yoot but we shouldn't be hijacking one which has a long and proud history of its own and which is specifically designed for others

Sorry mate, can't agree. Top flight clubs shouldn't be in this competition in any capacity in my opinion, the whole point of it is to give 3rd and 4th Division teams a stab at glory and a massive day out at Wembley.

By all means have a higher profile knockout competition for the yoot but we shouldn't be hijacking one which has a long and proud history of its own and which is specifically designed for others

That's absolutely fair enough. But from a completely selfish Spurs point of view I think it's a good thing.

From a general, English football point of view, I'd agree. Its nonsense.

But to get our youngsters a taste of "proper league footy", It's a perfect scenario.

And I would imagine the vast majority of the posters in here (myself included) won't have heard of most of the lads that will get exposure to this level of football. So it's not really "Top Flight" players, even if they are attached to top flight clubs.

And who knows, we might even discover the next Dele playing for Port Vale!

Fingers crossed.

We're kinda doing to THIS competition what the CL has done to the Europa League by putting teams in it who shouldn't really be there...
Only difference is, at LEAST we're entering a team from the start of the competition... not one who got knocked out of, say, the FA Cup early!

It's a bit of a farce... and is probably the compromise to avoid doing what they do abroad (Juve & Barca spring to mind) and have 'B' teams in lower divisions... now that really WOULD signal the beginning of the end if we did it here!

I don't think we're far off seeing this and The League Cup amalgamating in the near future... with the Top OK teams opting out of the competition, UNLESS it's theircB team representing them.

Like the Europa/UEFA Cup, The League Cup is treated like an inconvenience anyway, unless you win it, (eh Man Utd?) Then it's the be-all and end-all of high level competition!

Back
Top Bottom