Top 4 - struggling to care?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I want to see Spurs win trophies. Sustainably and regularly. To do that means we need the club to be generating bigger revenues and to be a club that offers the best players what they want. Champions League football secured regularly does this. So yes, I'm very much interested in CL qualification and while we may not win it yet, I'd hope we'd have a decent chance to do better than Newcastle and Manu and get past the group stage.

We also have nothing else to compete for this year so why wouldn't we chase 4th as hard as we can!?

Blame all the players.

I’ve got fed up of going to Wembley to watch our various squads/teams shit the bed in cup competitions.

Noticed people on another thread getting the old rose tinted specs on with the Redknapp era.

Wonder how many were at Wembley on the 11/04/10. Amazing day out!

200w.gif

Was that the Pompey semi when they were all sat in the sun and we were sat in the freezing cold shade? As soon as I walked into the stadium I knew who was winning that game.

Yes the players take blame there at Wembley for sure.

Not just modern football..modern fans??
It was always going to be a season of transition..im.amazed we are where we are considering we played the first half of the season with a reserve team more or less.
Jesus h ?

We had about one season under Poch, the one we finished 2nd to Chelsea, where we had a quality team in every position. Every other season of the Enic and Sugar years has been constant "transition" going from one false dawn to another. I can only speak for myself, but it's eroded how much I give a shit in general. I hope we win and do well, but I'm not all giddy over top 4 anymore.

Hopefully Ange can get us to that level of being a class team from front to back and we can build on it, but we fucked it last time we were on the cusp of going up a level as a club and here we are again. Oh, whilst all of our rivals have won trophies, even when they were shit lol.

I think every serious fan wants us to be in the Champions League.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t want us to actually win a trophy as well. I don’t see why the 2 are mutually exclusive. We just announced revenues of half a billion plus so the notion a club with our finances can’t compete on multiple fronts is absurd.

What I don’t like is celebrating top 4 as though it’s a trophy. It’s not, just accept it for what it is.

I totally get not being fully invested in the rest of the season.

It’s not even been a bad season from a league perspective, but the structure of this league makes it almost impossible to compete for the title. Woolwich and Liverpool have had several years of stability to get to where they are now and that (or financial cheating) is basically what’s required.

My life has been very busy and I didn’t realize we had a match yesterday. We are basically guaranteed 4th or 5th and it’s outside of our control if 5th gets the CL spot.

So right now it’s a race for a 4th place spot that is probably going to be irrelevant. I have better things to invest my time and emotions into.

I totally get not being fully invested in the rest of the season.

It’s not even been a bad season from a league perspective, but the structure of this league makes it almost impossible to compete for the title. Woolwich and Liverpool have had several years of stability to get to where they are now and that (or financial cheating) is basically what’s required.

My life has been very busy and I didn’t realize we had a match yesterday. We are basically guaranteed 4th or 5th and it’s outside of our control if 5th gets the CL spot.

So right now it’s a race for a 4th place spot that is probably going to be irrelevant. I have better things to invest my time and emotions into.

I think it is also partly because football now isn’t targeted at what used to be the normal fan. It’s all engagement and XG and sending in your opinion to sky or social media (like anyone really gives a fuck what we’ve got to say).

I also think club don’t know what they want to be, that’s our biggest problem. Until they decide that the limbo will continue.

That’s a very odd stat and probably an indicator that we are at the stage of the season where most clubs are just going through the motions away from home.
Title, relegation, Europe, manager changes? Which club is comfortable enough at this point to be going through the motions?

Title, relegation, Europe, manager changes? Which club is comfortable enough at this point to be going through the motions?
Basically every club between 6th and 13th. And 4th and 5th may not matter.

It may not be “going through the motions” but these clubs definitely aren’t playing like they do in the early part of the season.

Basically every club between 6th and 13th. And 4th and 5th may not matter.

It may not be “going through the motions” but these clubs definitely aren’t playing like they do in the early part of the season.
8th could get Europe 6 points seperate 8th -13th. What about everyone else? I don’t get ‘going through the motions’ at this point of the season?
Chelsea is 12th they may be shit but definitely not coasting

I think it is also partly because football now isn’t targeted at what used to be the normal fan
It is still targeted at the ‘normal fan’. It’s the normal fan that has changed. We have a new normal.
Football has seen explosive global growth. It was always a global sport of sorts but played and supported locally.

First Division clubs owned by the local millionaire have given way to globalized mega-clubs or groups of clubs owned by sovereign states who see growth through further global outreach. Money corrupts and the kind of money that football generates means a lot of corruption. It hasn’t been a working class game in the UK for a generation or more unless you support it at the grassroots level.

I must admit I have started to care less about Spurs and football in general.
I put it down to an age thing, I am nearing 60 and have have had a season ticket for 40 years.
If it wasn't for my family going to games , I would probably have given up.

Some will never be happy. We have a great likeable coach. Play attacking football. Are integrating young players and are out performing what most anyone expected pre season. It’s like people forget there are ups and downs, progress isn’t linear, and that it’s hard AF to win in the PL. Considering we aren’t owned by a country, our best opportunity for success is to find a great manager and COMMIT to his style and vision. That is basically every great team. It takes time. Man City was just able to do it quicker and more consistently thanks to cheating financial rules. And even they finished 4th the first year. When Pep leaves City I think we will have a lot more parity in the league again. Even if you think Ange is just a good coach (and not a top one) I’d still argue just committing to something is better than this haphazard switching coaches thing. I think West Ham is a good example of this (for their spending). Moyes isn’t an elite coach by any means but he’s a pretty good one and despite having a rough year last year in the league, they won Europe, are doing well in Europe this year and are back to having a pretty good year in the league.

I always want us to finish as high as possible, but I don’t really care about the CL.

Even without considering Spurs, I find the tournament pretty tired. It’s the same teams year in, year out.

I think it is also partly because football now isn’t targeted at what used to be the normal fan. It’s all engagement and XG and sending in your opinion to sky or social media (like anyone really gives a fuck what we’ve got to say).

I also think club don’t know what they want to be, that’s our biggest problem. Until they decide that the limbo will continue.
Football is so popular now it’s attracting people who just like to go to an event, bit like America. Most of them haven’t a clue what they are watching. Who would have thought you would see people buying half and half scarves. Morons. Trouble is, if things start to go wrong and football goes to pot they will just walk away. I look forward to that day.

I always want us to finish as high as possible, but I don’t really care about the CL.

Even without considering Spurs, I find the tournament pretty tired. It’s the same teams year in, year out.
You’re right. Probably why they are changing the format , who knows if it will make it more interesting.
It would never occur to me to watch the likes of Anderlecht v Rennes or whoever. Most of the games are missable unless your club are involved .

Back
Top Bottom